PREVENTING FUNGUS GNATS AND SPIDER MITES

Thanks for the info.guys.
I knew i was way off on the spelling, hell i cant even pronounce it much less spell it.
Lol.
Well my one plant has a couple knats so i spread some of it around my plant .
Didnt stop the adults though as i still see a couple when i shake the plant.
I see maybe 3 or 4 but the plant still looks good.
1 week to go till chop. Here's hoping .

Thanks for the info.guys.
I knew i was way off on the spelling, hell i cant even pronounce it much less spell it.
Lol.
Well my one plant has a couple knats so i spread some of it around my plant .
Didnt stop the adults though as i still see a couple when i shake the plant.
I see maybe 3 or 4 but the plant still looks good.
1 week to go till chop. Here's hoping .

Good luck. Next time you are in a big box home store like Lowes or Home Depot, look near the pesticides for the Mosquito dunks.
I break off a quarter of one and grind it to a powder in an old coffee grinder. I spread a couple teaspoons of the powder on top and water it in.

The key to the sand is maintaining the barrier intact. If you tsunami when watering, it does not take long to have soil and perlite mixed in giving the tiny gnats the texture they need to hide the microscopic sized eggs.
:pass:

I just posted in another thread about fungus gnats before I saw this one. I figure I should share what I went through here as well, hopefully it can help someone who doesn't find the other thread.
I've just gotten over a fungus gnat issue which thankfully wasn't severe and I don't think they have affected growth significantly, if at all. I use vinegar to bring the pH of my water down, and as I find out, vinegar attracts fungus gnats. After a while of trying to allow the pots to dry fully to keep them from reproducing, they kept coming back so I switched it up. I tried to sprinkle some cinnamon on the top of the soil to act as an antifungal to discourage the gnats from reproducing in the top soil layer. Still didn't work. This past week I went and got yellow sticky traps and 3% hydrogen peroxide which I mixed one part with 4 parts of water. I put a sticky trap in each pot and sprayed the top layer of soil with the peroxide solution after watering the plant. It has been a few days now and I think I have finally won my war against the gnats. :smoking:
:meds:

Gnat mix is pretty much just finely crushed glass. I've heard good things it probably works like the sand thing. Vinegar may attract them alittle too well as you kill 10 in your room 20 more are drawn in by the smell so unless its solid winter outside... I use airpots and super dry between waterings and that seems to work for me so far. I used to grow fungus so I know alittle about the constant battle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I get Nats at a certain time of year and have had great success with neem oil drench .

IMG_0806.JPG

Sand....only sure fire way to go. I have dunks, neem oil, stickies...nothing works better than the sand...

Thanks for the info man, I am doing my 1st outdoor grow so will defo be getting some Chive & Coriander to accompany my ducks & Pineapple on their journey. :thanks:

Thank you for all the tips greatly appreciated. I have a weird thing to add though. I have my girls in the basement, bug and pest free. (Knock on wood, they stay that way). In my veg tent I also have cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon. Starting them for the outside garden, also pest free.
Upstairs in my kitchen window i had three small pots with herbs, basil, mint, and cilantro. I was also starting them for outdoor. I kept them in the kitchen as they smelled amazing. One day I noticed webbings on all three. Sure enough spider mites. I instantly threw them all in the garbage, and cleaned the area thoroughly with insecticidal soap. This was about a month ago. I am very lucky that they did not get downstairs. I have had them in the past, so I am overly diligent about pest transfer. I change my clothes if I was outside before I enter my garden and wash to my elbows. I also clean my room very well with copper sulphate water and insecticidal soap between grows. I also filter my intakes.
I just find it weird that they are supposed to hate mint and cilantro and both my plants got them. I have heard for years that they hate them.
I find that cleanliness is [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] for mites for me

how about deciduous (spelled it way wrong ) earth - just ground up shells,suppossed to kill fungas knat larvae by spreading around the plant.
anyone try it ?
Diatomacious Earth (DE) only works when dry, adding to soil you water reguarly, won't help.
Often seeds are stored in DE this will kill insects by puncturing them as the DE has sharp edges.
Because seeds and DE are in a sealed bag the DE doesn't get wet and remains effective!

Back