Problems w first grow back

Luketheduke

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Just got out of jail and the first thing I did was germ some seeds. The plants just keep me relaxed, but alas, we have an issue that is ruining my relaxation time. These girls are yellowing and I need to figure out why.

Problem: Yellowing. Started on bottom fan leaves. Yellowing starts on outer edges of leaf and moces in. Slowly moved up the the plant and is now affecting the top. The tops leaves bow have yellowing outer edges.

Medium/grow method: 3/4 Happy Frog. 1/4 Black Gold. Cup of Lime. 2 cups worm casting. Extra perlite.

Feed and supplements used: Fox Farms trio. Only using the flowering feed (tiger bloom) because these Twisted Cookies by Twisted Trees grow quick and begin to flower very young and short.

water source: Well water ran through reverse osmosis. It is then mixed with supps (if its feed day) and PH'd before its given. Otherwise ( if not feed day) I just ph the RO water and pour it in.
currently on every 2 days for feeding. They get 1/2 doses. I check the soil at different depths for soil moisture and cgeck w finger 2 inches. If needed I water. Generally 1-1.5 solo cup every 24 hours.

Strain/age: Twizted Cookiez by Twizted Trees

light used: Mars Hydro ts1000

Climate: 67° at night. 70 ° during day.

Additional info: 3 total plants. one plant has the dark green glossy look w clawing like it has nitrogen toxicity. This plant is still experiencing the same yellowing as the others.

The 2 other plants showing yellowing and some Browning by the dead area (because their dead or dying parts of leaves) These 2 plants do show signs of clawing however.

Edit: Slurry test results
Plant 1 - ppm 254. Ph 6.67
Plant 2- ppm 392. Ph 7.05
Plant 3- ppm 170. Ph 6.51

pics attached.

feels good to be back

Attachments

• 0809210543.jpg
    0809210543.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 0809210543a.jpg
    0809210543a.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 49
  • 0809210543b.jpg
    0809210543b.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 0809210543c.jpg
    0809210543c.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Just got out of jail and the first thing I did was germ some seeds. The plants just keep me relaxed, but alas, we have an issue that is ruining my relaxation time. These girls are yellowing and I need to figure out why.

Problem: Yellowing. Started on bottom fan leaves. Yellowing starts on outer edges of leaf and moces in. Slowly moved up the the plant and is now affecting the top. The tops leaves bow have yellowing outer edges.

Medium/grow method: 3/4 Happy Frog. 1/4 Black Gold. Cup of Lime. 2 cups worm casting. Extra perlite.

Feed and supplements used: Fox Farms trio. Only using the flowering feed (tiger bloom) because these Twisted Cookies by Twisted Trees grow quick and begin to flower very young and short.

water source: Well water ran through reverse osmosis. It is then mixed with supps (if its feed day) and PH'd before its given. Otherwise ( if not feed day) I just ph the RO water and pour it in.
currently on every 2 days for feeding. They get 1/2 doses. I check the soil at different depths for soil moisture and cgeck w finger 2 inches. If needed I water. Generally 1-1.5 solo cup every 24 hours.

Strain/age: Twizted Cookiez by Twizted Trees

light used: Mars Hydro ts1000

Climate: 67° at night. 70 ° during day.

Additional info: 3 total plants. one plant has the dark green glossy look w clawing like it has nitrogen toxicity. This plant is still experiencing the same yellowing as the others.

The 2 other plants showing yellowing and some Browning by the dead area (because their dead or dying parts of leaves) These 2 plants do show signs of clawing however.

pics attached.

feels good to be back
Looks like potassium lockout to me, but I will be interested to see what more experienced growers here think. You put in a cup of lime - into how much medium, and what kind of lime? I am a bit concerned that you may have overdone the lime treatment, but again, I am new at this and have not used your medium/nute combo, so wait for more informed opinion before assuming that I know what I am talking about.

Good luck with it, one of the gurus here will get back to you soon. :goodluck:

Looks like potassium lockout to me, but I will be interested to see what more experienced growers here think. You put in a cup of lime - into how much medium, and what kind of lime? I am a bit concerned that you may have overdone the lime treatment, but again, I am new at this and have not used your medium/nute combo, so wait for more informed opinion before assuming that I know what I am talking about.

Good luck with it, one of the gurus here will get back to you soon. :goodluck:
A cup of lime split between 3 plants each in 3 gallon pots. Thats not very much and isnt even a concern for me right now. Ill have to to test the soil.

A cup of lime split between 3 plants each in 3 gallon pots. Thats not very much and isnt even a concern for me right now. Ill have to to test the soil.
For perspective, and to clarify the reason for my concern, Dr. Bruce Bugbee recommends 40 grams per cubic foot of 50/50 peat/vermiculite for cannabis. You have used >200 g in ~1.2 cu. ft, so ~>4 times what Bugbee recommends.. Also, you have added it to a soil mix that I expect already contains lime. OTOH, Bugbee's mix also includes vermiculite which he contends is slightly alkaline, and gypsum, which might also contribute a bit of alkalinity, so your rate of lime application my not be quite as bad as 4x his. From what I have read about the issue, the pH's you found in your slurry test may be a bit high for cannabis in soil, but don't look seriously out of bounds. OTOH, I doubt that the slurry test was from far down in the root zone, so may not be representative of what is giving indigestion to your plants. OTOH, I am a relative noob, and my only attempted soil grows so far did not go well, so what really do I know about it? :biggrin:

Good luck sorting it out, I hope you manage to get them back on track. :goodluck:

For perspective, and to clarify the reason for my concern, Dr. Bruce Bugbee recommends 40 grams per cubic foot of 50/50 peat/vermiculite for cannabis. You have used >200 g in ~1.2 cu. ft, so ~>4 times what Bugbee recommends.. Also, you have added it to a soil mix that I expect already contains lime. OTOH, Bugbee's mix also includes vermiculite which he contends is slightly alkaline, and gypsum, which might also contribute a bit of alkalinity, so your rate of lime application my not be quite as bad as 4x his. From what I have read about the issue, the pH's you found in your slurry test may be a bit high for cannabis in soil, but don't look seriously out of bounds. OTOH, I doubt that the slurry test was from far down in the root zone, so may not be representative of what is giving indigestion to your plants. OTOH, I am a relative noob, and my only attempted soil grows so far did not go well, so what really do I know about it? :biggrin:

Good luck sorting it out, I hope you manage to get them back on track. :goodluck:

Yeah man i appreciate that and all..... But i didnt use a literal cup. I just sprinkled a tiny bit from a cup. Not an entire Cup as in a unit of measurement. Lol but again thanks for that man.

I did a slurry test and put the results in the original post.

Now had I used a literal Cup. I I could see cause for concern. In that case I would expect to see a spike in the PH of the soil. Slurry shows thats not really the case.

Last edited:
You said your only using Tiger Bloom? Need to use Big Bloom as well. You need the micro and macro nutrients in Big Bloom for the entire grow.

You said your only using Tiger Bloom? Need to use Big Bloom as well. You need the micro and macro nutrients in Big Bloom for the entire grow.
Thank you. First time ive been told this. Do i mix the feeds on the same water. Or do i hit it w tiger bloom one feed, and then big bloom the next?

Update. All three plants yellowing. Much more of this and they'll be dead shortly.

Slurry test put all plants between 6.5-7 ph w/ a PPMs at 170, 254 and 390 which shouldnt be burning the plants except perhaps 390 which isnt astronomically high.

Today I gave em a bit more water to get a bit of run off to test. The Runoff PH was 6.4 w/ a ppm of 196.

I dont understand Whats going on. The PH is at a good range. The PPM shows nutes are present in the soil. Not to much. Not too little. It doesnt look like im in lock out. Yet the yellowing is worsening. Leaves are yellowing, drying, Browning and flat out falling off.

Does anyone have any ideas? As I stated, these plants wont last much longer. They may be a lost cause by now since its all happening during flower.

Pics attached

Attachments

• 0821210624.jpg
    0821210624.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 0821210624a.jpg
    0821210624a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 0821210624b.jpg
    0821210624b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 0821210624c.jpg