Question about nute strength

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need a little help clearing something up. When you follow any given nute schedule and come across a nutrient problem in your grow, do you just dilute the solution? For example if you are noticing nute burn I'm pretty sure that you just dilute the solution. But what about when you start to notice signs of deficiencies or something like nitrogen toxicity, do you do the same thing? Or, do you actually have to play with the strength of the nute that might be lacking or too much of? From what I understand all nute schedules are made up with the correct ratios for cannabis plants. So if you were to altar that ratio it could throw things off...?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of all of this so I can become a better grower. Ideally I'd like to be able to start my nutes at lower ec so I can adjust each feed by adding less water. Is it that easy, just make the mixture of nutrients that is suggested for that particular stage of the plant and adjust ec according to the plant's happiness?

I hope someone can clear this up for me. Something tells me though, I'm making this harder than it needs to be and I'm having a stoner moment. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There's loads to it. Keep reading. It's hard to add just one thing if you think you have a deficiency because if things are out of balance, too much of one will lock out another. @Mañ'O'Green has a nice chart/image explaining it well.

Hey everyone, I need a little help clearing something up. When you follow any given nute schedule and come across a nutrient problem in your grow, do you just dilute the solution? For example if you are noticing nute burn I'm pretty sure that you just dilute the solution. But what about when you start to notice signs of deficiencies or something like nitrogen toxicity, do you do the same thing? Or, do you actually have to play with the strength of the nute that might be lacking or too much of? From what I understand all nute schedules are made up with the correct ratios for cannabis plants. So if you were to altar that ratio it could throw things off...?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of all of this so I can become a better grower. Ideally I'd like to be able to start my nutes at lower ec so I can adjust each feed by adding less water. Is it that easy, just make the mixture of nutrients that is suggested for that particular stage of the plant and adjust ec according to the plant's happiness?

I hope someone can clear this up for me. Something tells me though, I'm making this harder than it needs to be and I'm having a stoner moment. Thanks in advance!
Take a look at this basic nutrient information and see if it helps answer some of your questions. Many nutrient lines have no way to make adjustments to the ratios.

With coir I get a gallon jug with a couple inches of water in it, then add 3 or 4 gallons worth of nutrients mixed for whatever stage I’m at.

then to feed I pour a little into a jar and add water, then make sure ec and ph are right.

If I see burn I just use less nute solution so the ec drops. Deficiency the opposite.

Back