Recycling soil?

Jburner8011

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just curious if anyone has had any luck recycling their soil? I just finished up one of my best runs ever. But I’ve been running short on funds and I’m hoping to get some more use out of the soil that I already have. I bought a reamend kit from build a soil and mixed in the recommended amount into enough soil for my next run plus the recommended amount of compost. I put it into some fabric pots, wet them down with some PHed water and will let them sit for 2 or 3 weeks. Then I usually make a mix of lighter soil to put on top to give the young plants some time to grow before they hit the more nutrient dense soil. I did the exact same thing with another batch of potting soil that I had saved and put my photoperiod outdoor plants into it, and they are HUGE! Some of them are approaching like 8-9 feet tall! I (I put them into large pots like 10 gallon.)can’t wait to see what they do when the days start to get shorter. Just curious if anyone else has re-used their soil like this with indoor autos? Could use any advice or recommendations that some of you more experienced folks have. Always learning and trying to get better at this awesome hobby of ours . Thanks ! I’ll keep an eye out for any replies that come back . Always appreciate any tips or advice I can find .

My dirt is on its 3rd run. I re-amend & let it sit in a tote for 6 weeks.

Hey guys. Just curious if anyone has had any luck recycling their soil? I just finished up one of my best runs ever. But I’ve been running short on funds and I’m hoping to get some more use out of the soil that I already have. I bought a reamend kit from build a soil and mixed in the recommended amount into enough soil for my next run plus the recommended amount of compost. I put it into some fabric pots, wet them down with some PHed water and will let them sit for 2 or 3 weeks. Then I usually make a mix of lighter soil to put on top to give the young plants some time to grow before they hit the more nutrient dense soil. I did the exact same thing with another batch of potting soil that I had saved and put my photoperiod outdoor plants into it, and they are HUGE! Some of them are approaching like 8-9 feet tall! I (I put them into large pots like 10 gallon.)can’t wait to see what they do when the days start to get shorter. Just curious if anyone else has re-used their soil like this with indoor autos? Could use any advice or recommendations that some of you more experienced folks have. Always learning and trying to get better at this awesome hobby of ours . Thanks ! I’ll keep an eye out for any replies that come back . Always appreciate any tips or advice I can find .
If you have space/ When your budget will allow it, this is a cool product to have in your soil line-up. Refresh your soil easily in the tumbler. Make super soil in it while the grow is going on. Always have top notch soil ready.

compost tumbler.png

I work with a lot of commercial facilities that are re-using their soil. The typical process is to re-amend the flower beds with dry amendments based off a soil test and work that into the top 6-8" of media. Then re-plant the next flower crop 24-36 hours later. The process would be the same with autos.

Usually I put about a third to a half of a fabric pot of reammended soil for a bottom layer. And make a top layer of regular potting soil mixed with a little coco coir on top so the roots can get established a bit before they hit the more nutrient dense layer. I’ve had problems in the past putting auto seedlings into a hot soil like that.

Some of my pots are one their 7th(maybe more) run with same soil (i still have almost a new bag of coast of Maine stonington blend soil). Mostly no till but when I get new pots I just add buildasoil craft blend and buildaflower. Plus I have worms in there too.

I also reuse soil , I started with soil that is at least 4 months old with inputs , The amount I stared with is at least twice as much as I would use . So after potting up , in goes the old soil , mix it up and add inputs along the way . Worms are a must . If I want a bigger amount I add a cheap potting soil at the beginning , if I have a 150 litre left I will put in 50 litre potting soil . Works well for me . I like my soil aged and use a lot of local inputs as I can . like cow horse manure , microbes from a hand full of soil from different areas . ect , seems to work for me . :thumbsup:

A friendly note here. I come from farm country. I noticed the farmers reuse their soil for generations. Obviously they amend the soil adding the needed nutrients to grow their crops. I have been constantly reusing my soil for over seven years now. I grow organic so it’s simple to “feed” the soil. Remember your soil is growing just as your plants do. Everything works together. Become a student and learn or spend the cash at the supply store. Good luck!

Back