Shea Butter Rub

Renaissance Redneck

A Lovable Little Fuzzball
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
You Bet
This is a pretty simple recipe for a topical that is a little less oily than a coconut oil rub.
I'll add to this later to show how I normally make it... the big difference is that this batch was an infusion. I'n the past, it was more of a cold process, with what amounted to RSO added to room temperature Shea butter.
Also note a couple of things:
1) It's very canna intensive, but me and the Missus donate this to vets with serious trauma up to amputation. Flower content can be scaled back as needed, and DMSO even eliminated.
2) My first go at adding pictures in a long, long time, and I get tired quicker than I used to. I'll post what I can and keep plugging away until it's all done.:toke:
I'll make comments and alternative suggestions once we get going.
What you will need:
2 lbs unrefined Shea butter
3 oz trimmed, cured flower
2 Tsp DMSO
15 gel caps of vitamin E, 400 IU, d-alpha
Essential oils (I had no Lavender for this, but I think it should be added).
A grinder (I use a coffee grinder)
Oven
Crock pot, double boiler, or very steady heat source
Mixer (I like an immersion blender with whisk attachment)
Step one, find 3 oz of good trimmed, fully cured bud
100_5862.JPG 100_5865.JPG

We like to use high THC herb that we don't really like to smoke:smoking: Strains that tend to knock us sideways, and not in a way we like.
Grind it up:cheers:
100_5868.JPG

On the advise of the Missus, this will be decarbed to increase the potency, based on the needs of our patients. Be aware this also makes for a "smellier" rub, but not so bad once the oils are added. We did not add cured leaves or stems or roots to this batch because of limited resources, but I would if I could. Decarbing may enhance strength, but adding unheated material is something I like to do, to help add turpentines and other beneficials that I think are part of the healing properties of canna.
To decarb, I spread the ground material out on a foil-lined cookie sheet,
100_5869.JPG
then into the oven set on bake and center rack (pre-heated to 225 degrees F).
Especially for a large batch, I stir it frequently to ensure even heating. Depending on the batch, usually I bake it for 30-40 minutes, or until it's a nice nutty brown. I also wait until no more steam is coming off the top. The end result:
100_5873.JPG
:point:A word of warning: this process produces some smell! I mean like Willie Nelson and Snoop Dog died under your kitchen sink kind of smell.:pimp:
If strong odors present a security risk to you, DO NOT BAKE THE WEED! Me and the Missus open all our windows, and close the doors to any rooms we want to keep scent-free, especially where clothing, towels etc are kept.
More to follow:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Arrg, quite a delay and I'm sorry:bow:
I'll need the help of my Better Half to finish posting pics. Well try to have it done this week, I promise.
In the mean time, if you're wanting to make a very potent rub (for bad joint or muscle pain) now is the time to invest in a bottle of alchohol (NOT NOT NOT rubbing alcohol!!! I use Everclear, buta 151 will do the trick, just not as well).
Now this is important, so please hear me:pighug: If you have ever struggled, or struggle now with alcohol addiction or over-use, stick with the Shea butter. The point is to heal, not cause temptation:toke: The oil extraction can be almost as strong as the alcohol, it just takes a little longer. Please don't crack a bottle if it sings to you. End of lecture.
Also note, now we add MgCl to the mix, until I hear of a cleaner product Ancient Minerals is the only thing we have tested, used and endorse.

your awesome brotatochip,thanks for the recipe man. I know this is amazingly awesome rub.the best I have ever used and other ppl I deal with agree. Stellar!! and Thank you!!

Back