Extraction Small batch alternative to Butter Machines

Reaction score
I'm a gizmo geek who likes to test MJ devices.
I've tried MagicalButterMachine, ButterBrewer, STXInfusium420, and a few other things.
The butter machines need about 2 Cups of liquid to operate well, even though STX says 1 cup.

Those devices work well for 2 cups of oil, but sometimes we want less volume and a more concentrated oil.

Here are my favorite small batch devices.
Amazon product
crid=10D19MSQ1WPBK&dchild=1&keywords=infrared+thermometer&qid=1617390599&sprefix=infrared+the%2Cgarden%2C198&sr=8-4)
Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product
(or Amazon product

The main downside is that the heating element of the magnetic stirrer/heater device must be calibrated, because there are no temperature settings on the heater.

I have been using toaster oven or Ardent FX for infusion, but those devices don't mix the herb very well during infusion.
That makes unstrained oils difficult to get into pills because of the debris from finely ground decarbed herb powder.

Using the MagicalButterMachine recipe of 160 F for 1 hr yielded a much smoother oil that was easy to get into capsules without straining.
I was able to get about 1/4 gram herb plus lecithin and coconut oil into size 00 caps, which is about 40 mg thc each.

These are useful to get oil into caps. I cut the tips off with scissors.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with these machines, but if you want more concentrated product using the same or maybe even less amount of solvent, why not first sift/screen the powder, use the resulting kief/trichomes?

Press your flower into rosin. decarb 1g rosin with 1g of oil of your choice (I use cocoa butter) this will average about 700mg of actives. It blends with every oil I have tried. When blending into gummies you need to have 1Tbsp. of sugar for it to blend.

Then I do a QWET extraction of all the rosin chips. It makes sludge but it is for sure a sludge hammer. :baked:

As @Mañ'O'Green said, qwet- dilute with any oil. Tailor to your specific tolerance.
I like to do 15 mg doses on any edible I determined this by consistency of qwet. I shoot for 90% thc. Thats rock hard, and doesn’t stick to fingers at room temp.
I gram of gwet @ 90% = 900 mg thc.
900/15= 60 doses
Add the 1 gram to enough diluting oil to make 60 capsule of your preferred size.
00 capsules hold slightly less than a ml.
60 capsules would require 59 ml of oil + the 1 gram of qwet making a total of 60 ml.
I prefer coconut oil because of the buttery taste and very little after taste. To each his own when it comes to oil selection.
I prefer an edible to hit me in about 15 minutes. That’s mean it’s strong enough to last all day. Plus the faster onset make it less likely to overdose.
Get a baseline, then tailor to your specific needs and likings. Enjoy brother.
4206D0DC-70F3-4216-B424-89AC5CEB64F9.jpeg
8E01825A-9F75-4B12-A588-5DA79E5B7BF1.jpeg
C03E4A4B-81BC-4129-8B6B-8C95AE4F52C3.jpeg

Back