Smoking Around Your Plants - Detrimental?

Son of Hobbes

High of the Tiger
Staff member
AFN Admin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
www.autoflower.org
Smoking Around Your Plants

I found the topic on smoking around your plants interesting. Here's a bit of scientific perspective:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13593-015-0298-x

A study was conducted on peppermint plants exposed to nicotine in various forms, including test plants that were exposed to fumigated cigarette smoke for 2 hours, then mulched up and tested.

The conclusion from the study:

"Conclusion
For the first time, we have shown that peppermint plants take up nicotine from contaminated soils, and the resulting nicotine concentrations are several times higher than the maximum residue level set by the European authorities. Moreover, tremendously elevated nicotine levels were also detected after fumigation with cigarette smoke.

These results suggest that the widespread occurrence of nicotine in medicinal, spice and food plants may, at least in part, be due to exogenous nicotine sources. However, all the peppermint plants analysed in this study, including the untreated controls, contained minor amounts of the alkaloid, which suggested that peppermint plants may be able to synthesise nicotine endogenously. This assumption is supported by our finding that the Mentha plants are also able to metabolise the exogenous applied alkaloid, a process that is most likely based on a putative turnover of endogenously synthesised compounds.

In addition to the nutritional aspects, these results also demonstrate that a certain alkaloid could be translocated from one plant after its death to another plant species, even though it has no direct functional relevance. These coherences will affect the way we define allelopathy. Up to now, only the transfer of “functional substances” i.e. those, which have a certain impact on other plants, e.g. by inhibiting their growth or germination, had been considered and described by allelopathy (e.g. Seigler, 2006). In contrast, the transfer of all the substances, which naturally are leached out from plant litter into living plants never had been taken into account. Such horizontal transfers of natural products may give insights into hitherto unexplained processes, e.g. the beneficial effects of crop rotations or the cocultivation of certain vegetables."

BUT, before the conclusion, the study talks about the observed deterioration of nicotine from the initial samples over time:

"As found in the mulching experiments, the initial nicotine concentration in the fumigated peppermint plants decreased drastically as time progressed. One week after treatment, only one third of the initial nicotine content was left. This decrease in the fumigated plants corresponded to the decline of the nicotine levels in the mulched plants. Again, there are two possibilities: the nicotine remained on the surface of the leaves and simply evaporated over time, or the nicotine was taken up into the peppermint leaves and subsequently metabolised. Further freeze-drying experiments revealed that also after lyophilisation, nearly all nicotine remained in the material. This indicates a localisation of the alkaloid within the plant tissue. Therefore, the observed decline of the nicotine levels points to a metabolisation of nicotine, as it also was deduced for the mulched plants (see above). Yet, further experiments are necessary to verify this assumption."

Step outside the cannabis box; there's a good bit of evidence showing wildfire smoke negatively affecting both stomatal and biochemical function, resulting in significant reductions in photosynthesis in plants exposed to it. Here's a snippet from another article found here: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijfr/2010/438930/

"Physically, smoke production can lead to high-vapor pressure deficits that can trigger stomatal closure [8]. Chemically, over 100 compounds have been identified in smoke [9]. Of those that have been identified, many are known to have physiologically effects on plants, including NO2 [10], CO2, SO2, and O3 [11]. O3 has been linked to the destruction of chlorophyll [12] and has also been shown to inhibit the K+ channels that regulate guard cell function and in turn controls stomatal opening [13]. SO2 reduces stomatal conductance [14], inhibits photosynthetic oxygen evolution and electron transport, and inactivates Calvin-cycle enzymes [15–17]. When combined, NO2 and SO2 mixtures have shown to additively inhibit photosynthesis [18]. Long-term exposures to NO2 and SO2  show subsequent reductions in superoxide dismutase and glutathione reductase [19], which are major antioxidant enzymes in plants [19, 20]. The disabling of antioxidant enzyme function in conjunction with high levels of ozone, a powerful pro-oxidant, may promote oxidative stress during extended smoke exposure."

I've yet to find it, but there's allegedly another study showing the effects of 30 minutes of daily cigarette smoke exposure reducing the leaf count on plants vs the control plants.

We know that cannabis is an amazing bio accumulator (or hyper accumulator,) meaning it very easily absorbs things around it in the environment and soil. It stands to reason (scientifically) that smoking around your plants is causing them to absorb whatever chemicals are in that smoke. How detrimental that is, is probably more dependent on the concentration and frequency, but general rule of thumb is "don't smoke around your plants," even if it's cannabis.

Will it kill your plants by smoking a joint or cigarette around them? Probably not.
Will it cause all sorts of issues and problems with your grow? Debatable.
Are there some effects happening to the plant that correlate to smoke exposure? Probably.
Is the plant accumulating chemicals from that smoke exposure? Absolutely.

But how much, at what rate, how much evaporates from the surface of the leaves naturally over time, how much metabolizes within the plant itself over time?

Educated humans should not be smoking tobacco. The science is undeniable. It is not good for you or evidently your plants either.

:pass:Smoke pot. It probably isn't good for you either but at least you get medicated and high. I don't do combustion just Dabs and edibles.

So... If I smoke weed with my plants will they absorb THC or CBD or any weed related things? This is interesting. I'd like to see that study... If I could turn my trim into "THC enhancer" through an intake vent that would be preeeeetty sweet :d5:

So... If I smoke weed with my plants will they absorb THC or CBD or any weed related things? This is interesting. I'd like to see that study... If I could turn my trim into "THC enhancer" through an intake vent that would be preeeeetty sweet :d5:
I only smoke blunts without the cigar or tobacco wrap,I use pure unbleached / non processed cannabis smoking papers.I do not use any tobacco.Could this damage the plant?Sure some byproduct of the smoke could,but no nicotine...would you do It occasionally?

Surely if you smoke in the grow room and the extractor is running the impact would be minimal if any - a good article

I tend to smoke up when I am tending to my plants - oddly the main thought I have is if that would be classed as a form of 'canna'balism

I know that tobacco is bad for you, i personally love it. Even just fresh stuff while its drying the smell is beautiful I want to roll in it. I also believe that plenty of educated people smoke tobacco. Its a different kind of fix. More like coffee than other drugs. A cigarette is enough for me to get going in the morning. I can skip my coffee. Although I don't want to.

I know that tobacco is bad for you, i personally love it. Even just fresh stuff while its drying the smell is beautiful I want to roll in it. I also believe that plenty of educated people smoke tobacco. Its a different kind of fix. More like coffee than other drugs. A cigarette is enough for me to get going in the morning. I can skip my coffee. Although I don't want to.

ciggs are the best thing ever. i got scared and quit with covid, and it is awful bad for you, but people who act like they arent great are delusional IMO. its like sex without rubbers, we all know its bad for you but dont pretend like its not awesome.

cigg after a motorcycle ride, after sex, or before a poop is better than any other substance i ever had. maybe yall got some adrenochrome on the deepweb, but to me nothing could beat a tuesday morning cigg with coffee before a clean bowel movement. heaven on earth.

One of many reasons I quit smoking cigs over a decade ago. Thanks for sharing this.

ciggs are the best thing ever. i got scared and quit with covid, and it is awful bad for you, but people who act like they arent great are delusional IMO. its like sex without rubbers, we all know its bad for you but dont pretend like its not awesome.

cigg after a motorcycle ride, after sex, or before a poop is better than any other substance i ever had. maybe yall got some adrenochrome on the deepweb, but to me nothing could beat a tuesday morning cigg with coffee before a clean bowel movement. heaven on earth.
I love love LOVE Virginia tobaccos smell and terpenes (if I can call It terpenes).I Indeed use to vape a Virginia extract that Is deprived of its nicotine content and I admit It Just Is phenomenal with a blending of home grown cannabis vaping extract.But,I also am a non cigarette smoker and when I do combustion It Is only for cannabis.

Back