Indoor Soil ph

Z

zx12r

When using coffee grounds to lower soil ph do you mix it into the soil or just top dress it? I don't want to disrupt the roots by mixing it in. I checked soil ph this morning with one of those dual probe meters and it's reading about 7.

your soil sound ok at 7 my run off are at 7.1 not sure what soil you using but the soil i use have buffers in it iv try the coffee still come back at 7.1, and me plants are doing fine,and i just use tap water after 24 hours,the feed i use bring the ph down in the water at 6.6 and i just feed them,
kudo

tap warter lift 24 hours then water,im not sure what soil you using ? im using the bio bizz all-mix soil,its a very good soil, it got it all in there for you here have a read .Bio-Bizz All-Mix is unlike anything you would find in a garden centre. It contains an effective blend of soil (20%), compost (35%), worm castings (10%) and Perlite (30%) as well as a special 'pre-mix' (5%) of biologically active organic ingredients that have been fermented for a month to create a potent mixture. We recommend using Bio-Bizz All-Mix during growth and flowering, ideally in conjunction with Bio-Bizz Nutrients for best results.should need to ph your water as it got buffers in the soil,and i use the bio bizz feed with it,my next grow i well be use foxfram nutes, and i well have to use my ph then with my water,as it not so forgiving as organic feeds,bio seem to have they own ph in the nutes and it allways come bak at 6.6 and me run of is 7.1,but now i do not test my run off anymore as i use the same soil and nutes all the time now, work good for me,the thing iv lean is let the plant till you,
kudo

i forgot to say as i seen you have had trouble with you soil like i did and end up with man,i got hermie when i fist grow mine,which was ok it a lean thing, but i end up with some nice feminzed beans for me girls,this time im try this soil to start me plants off,( plant magic soi ),and re pot it after a week or 2 to bio bizz soil,this soil seem very good to start them off,as it got some goodie in the soil to make them roots grow, and then in to bio bizz as that got nutes in it to feed it for a good 2 or 3 weeks im try not to give it any veg nutes if so only very litte that the key litte at fist work up,
kudo

whoa! 7? noo no... please see chart:

ph vs uptake.gifph vs uptake 2.jpg

lower it? well... naturally or chemically... I'd always reccomend naturally... you can adjust your water down with vinegar (we use white so far)... see what your flush runoff ph is and that will give you an idea how far off your soil is. 6. to 6.3 is fine for watering... but if your soil is at 7 thats no good... you want ideally to have your soil ph at 6.3-6.5 and your water ph the same.... we usually find one teaspoon of vinegar per gallon will drop ph about 1 (ie 7.0 to 6.0) however, if you're using rainwater or demineralized water... use less cuz theres less ionic change overall to be made... thats what ph ultimately is... ionic charge.

as far as adjusting soil... sulfur works great as an amendment... follow bag instrucions...... coffee grounds are better as an organic alternative... not sure how much to use though... getting ready o add that to my line soon. use the water for now... if you're getting , say 7.0 runoff.... adjust your water to 5.5 and flush 2X pot volume.... then return to normal water / feed regiment.

hope this helps
JM

Thanks John. I know how to lower my water ph and have been using ph down. I used one of those two prong testers to check the soil ph, not sure how accurate it is(looks pretty cheap).
lower it? well... naturally or chemically... I'd always reccomend naturally... you can adjust your water down with vinegar (we use white so far)... see what your flush runoff ph is and that will give you an idea how far off your soil is. 6. to 6.3 is fine for watering... but if your soil is at 7 thats no good... you want ideally to have your soil ph at 6.3-6.5 and your water ph the same.... we usually find one teaspoon of vinegar per gallon will drop ph about 1 (ie 7.0 to 6.0) however, if you're using rainwater or demineralized water... use less cuz theres less ionic change overall to be made... thats what ph ultimately is... ionic charge.

as far as adjusting soil... sulfur works great as an amendment... follow bag instrucions...... coffee grounds are better as an organic alternative... not sure how much to use though... getting ready o add that to my line soon. use the water for now... if you're getting , say 7.0 runoff.... adjust your water to 5.5 and flush 2X pot volume.... then return to normal water / feed regiment.

hope this helps
JM

oh ok... sorry... didnt mean to be "over informative" lol whats the soil meter reading? 7?

Back