Supercharge your worm castings!

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
There's a saying: " garbage in = garbage out." Well, in the gardening world, garbage in = compost out!

and what goes into your compost makes a difference in the quality of the end product. worm castings are no different. What goes into the bin affects the nutrient content of the castings. the worms create nothing, they just process whats given to them into a form that is using to other micro life and plants.
If the food they get is low value, lacking in certain minerals, etc, its no better when the process is complete. And most people running small worm bins get wrong: They don't feed them EVERYTHING!

If bacteria can break it down, it belongs in your bin! meat, dairy, you name it, you can give to your worms. The key is to add these thing in small amounts. Milk and meat in particular break down much faster than plant matter. "spoiled" milk is perfect for your bin! a cup of it in a 15-20 gallon bin every 10 days or so works fine. A few scraps of meat, a few ounces every couple weeks, adds valuable nutrients to the mix.

But even if you don't want to use these things in your worm bins, here's a great way to produce worm castings superior to any you could buy. Add dry, organic nutrients to the bin! Grow More, Jobe's, doctor Earth, etc any brand will do. NPK ratios don't matter at all. A pound of dry nutes added at the rate of a cup every 10 days to a well populated worm bin will produce castings that will put any store bought nutrient to shame!
people also add sand, etc for "grit' to aid the digestive process of the worms. Well lets use useful grit!

The "father of fertilizer", Justus von Liebig, developed the "Law of the Minimum" which is important in understanding what micro nutrients do. The Law states that plant growth is determined by the scarcest "limiting" nutrient; if even one of the many required nutrients is deficient, the plant will not grow and produce at its optimum. Conventional fertilizer programs focus on the macro nutrients like Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). However, if one of the many essential trace elements is deficient in the soil, the plant will not perform at its optimum, affecting yield and immune function.

So we can add Azomite and or similar sources of micro nutrients to our worm castings. Greensand also. and doing so creates a unique situation, these micro nutrients become available much more quickly! Most people don't realize that adding rock phosphate, azomite, greensand ( and my favorite bullshit " nutrient additive ) glacial rock dust. Glacial rock dust will take about 100 year to begin to be available....... and all the others mentioned aren't a lot better. 1-5 years for azomite and greensand.

But when processed thru a worm bin a usable amount of micro nutrients are made available because of the intensely active microlife in the bins!

I've just started adding these items to my bins. in about 90 days I'll be testing a soil mix composed of nothing but a base organic soil and these worm castings. I'll also mix a batch with just recycled soil and do a side by side comparison.

I can tell you they are eating up the grow more nutes like crazy! I put a cup in warm water and let it sit for 1/2 a day, then add it to the worm bin. its gone in three days!

There's a saying: " garbage in = garbage out." Well, in the gardening world, garbage in = compost out!

and what goes into your compost makes a difference in the quality of the end product. worm castings are no different. What goes into the bin affects the nutrient content of the castings. the worms create nothing, they just process whats given to them into a form that is using to other micro life and plants.
If the food they get is low value, lacking in certain minerals, etc, its no better when the process is complete. And most people running small worm bins get wrong: They don't feed them EVERYTHING!

If bacteria can break it down, it belongs in your bin! meat, dairy, you name it, you can give to your worms. The key is to add these thing in small amounts. Milk and meat in particular break down much faster than plant matter. "spoiled" milk is perfect for your bin! a cup of it in a 15-20 gallon bin every 10 days or so works fine. A few scraps of meat, a few ounces every couple weeks, adds valuable nutrients to the mix.

But even if you don't want to use these things in your worm bins, here's a great way to produce worm castings superior to any you could buy. Add dry, organic nutrients to the bin! Grow More, Jobe's, doctor Earth, etc any brand will do. NPK ratios don't matter at all. A pound of dry nutes added at the rate of a cup every 10 days to a well populated worm bin will produce castings that will put any store bought nutrient to shame!
people also add sand, etc for "grit' to aid the digestive process of the worms. Well lets use useful grit!

The "father of fertilizer", Justus von Liebig, developed the "Law of the Minimum" which is important in understanding what micro nutrients do. The Law states that plant growth is determined by the scarcest "limiting" nutrient; if even one of the many required nutrients is deficient, the plant will not grow and produce at its optimum. Conventional fertilizer programs focus on the macro nutrients like Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). However, if one of the many essential trace elements is deficient in the soil, the plant will not perform at its optimum, affecting yield and immune function.

So we can add Azomite and or similar sources of micro nutrients to our worm castings. Greensand also. and doing so creates a unique situation, these micro nutrients become available much more quickly! Most people don't realize that adding rock phosphate, azomite, greensand ( and my favorite bullshit " nutrient additive ) glacial rock dust. Glacial rock dust will take about 100 year to begin to be available....... and all the others mentioned aren't a lot better. 1-5 years for azomite and greensand.

But when processed thru a worm bin a usable amount of micro nutrients are made available because of the intensely active microlife in the bins!

I've just started adding these items to my bins. in about 90 days I'll be testing a soil mix composed of nothing but a base organic soil and these worm castings. I'll also mix a batch with just recycled soil and do a side by side comparison.
be watching that compare test

MAN..... I can't wait to try this.... Makes complete sense in my pea brain. Just putting final touches on my greenhouse. Put a couple worms in a bin yesterday..... Guess its a start...

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Best thing I've done for my garden's is my worm castings!

MAN..... I can't wait to try this.... Makes complete sense in my pea brain. Just putting final touches on my greenhouse. Put a couple worms in a bin yesterday..... Guess its a start...

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Hey, Pop22, I mentioned to you before I once had a worm farm. Went to local dairies with the bobcat and dump and loaded up, and there was a huge pulp mill nearby with acres of waste pulp pilled up. Mixed the two and pumped 2 acres of worms. They transformed an incredible amount of agricultural and industrial waste. No earthworms up here, sigh, yet

Thanks for a clear explanation of the process. How about taking it a step further and follow it up with one about insects that are beneficial and those that aren't. I buy 50 lb bags direct from a working worm / produce / landscape bush and tree farm.
Every time but once it was pre bagged and when I opened it to the light for the first time you could see the Spring Tails and other insects scurry to burrow. Great stuff until the one time I had to wait for them to bag it. That was not as potent and there were few bugs when I reopened it.. The only thing I can think of is the bugs hatch in the bag and enrich it in the process.

@Trailnimal, Pop just clearly explained what I was getting at when you thought I was knocking castings a year or two ago. I think I said plants don't eat the poop, without clarifying it. I'm sold on them and would be right behind you if I thought someone was giving them a bad rap..

Last edited:
Your right, and I'll plan a beneficial insect thread, its an area not really discussed much!

Thanks for a clear explanation of the process. How about taking it a step further and follow it up with one about insects that are beneficial and those that aren't. I buy 50 lb bags direct from a working worm / produce / landscape bush and tree farm.
Every time but once it was pre bagged and when I opened it to the light for the first time you could see the Spring Tails and other insects scurry to burrow. Great stuff until the one time I had to wait for them to bag it. That was not as potent and there were few bugs when I reopened it.. The only thing I can think of is the bugs hatch in the bag and enrich it in the process.

@Trailnimal, Pop just clearly explained what I was getting at when you thought I was knocking castings a year or two ago. I think I said plants don't eat the poop, without clarifying it. I'm sold on them and would be right behind you if I thought someone was giving them a bad rap..

I lost it , now I found it again . Feeding worms , - pop22 I'm very interested in what you had to say on feeding them . :thumbsup:

Back