Mephisto Genetics The Mephisto story...so far

mephisto

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
8 months in Espana.

Part 1 - The before:

Where to begin, for those who don't know me, I'm Mitch Connor. You may recognise my handle from Icmag where I spent the majority of my time until leaving the U.K, I also lurked or posted less frequently on many other growing forums, I was a member here previously too (I was informed a bunch of peoples accounts got deleted). So I've probably spoken to a bunch of you guys already across the forums, but just wanted to formally introduce myself and give you a deeper insight into what I'm up to now and what I'm about.

I have been growing for the best part of 10 years now, experimenting, cultivating and breeding along the way for 9 of those years.

Some random eye candy.

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245788-buds.jpg

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245792-seeds-pic-small.jpg

I started pretty humbly, as most do, in the closet with CFL's in a makeshift manner, after reading and reading and reading and reading, I progressed to designing and building stealth cabinets/grow spaces which I had to do due to my living arrangements, but really it was a blessing in disguise to get a grip on the fundamentals of growing. Working with what you have at your disposal in order to create the best environment possible, and also learning to read plants. I studied a design degree so that aspect was always great fun for me, sketching out concepts, trialling them, and eventually succeeding with them.

After finishing uni, the economy in England was in an especially bad state, friends from my course who did a masters degree and were personally prepared to move anywhere in the world were still facing an incredibly tough time to find employment.
I always had my love of growing and breeding as a staple, whilst I muddled through the minefield of working in the real world. Working construction, landscaping, hard labouring jobs just to make ends meat.

I grew Auto-flowers whilst they were still relatively new to the mass market, as well as photo-period strains (both will always have a place in my garden), AF's were super fun to grow, as they take a different mindset and approach differing from traditional ways to grow successfully.
Once you get the hang of them though, the rewards are evident, quick turn around time, rapid daily progression, makes them a pure pleasure to witness.
Another thing about growing AF's, is I've now grown thousands of plants from seed, I have always worked with large numbers to hone desirable plant recognition and selection skills. Considering the vast amount of plants that have passed through my hands, I can also remember 99% of the plants I have grown. But maybe not surprising given the time we spend with our heads in our girls.

I loved to grow AF-SOG style (Auto-flower sea of green) , to consistently get higher than 1gpw is very addictive, with a turnaround time of under 10 weeks.

A couple of AF-SOG pics:

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245789-group-small.jpg

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245787-afsog-small.jpg

England's laws when it comes to cannabis, are frankly, pretty draconian, and only getting worse and worse as time passes.
Unless you have cajones grande to go big or at the other end of the spectrum a one or two plant set-up and you research the law and every to do and not to do, it's not a place to be situated long term and keep your freedom and/or sanity.
The money from growing bud can be enticing, but it's not the reason I began to grow, and continue to do so. Punishments also vary as it's basically a postcode lottery, luck could be on your side or on the flip-side you could get royally shafted.
Our city was rife with growers, and coincidentally had a prominent judge with zero tolerance for growing weed. A handful of plants, with any kind of tidy set-up, and jail time is a reality, and I'm way too pretty for prison :)

Despite paranoia and getting too hooked reading the legal sections of several forums (scary reading), I always gained a momentary sense of peace and tranquillity sat looking and admiring my plants. I thought to myself, how amazing it must be to get that satisfaction without the worry.

Therefore Spain was always an idea in the pipeline. I had a very close friend die several years ago, and at that point, I didn't want to mess around any longer, and made Spain a priority to get to.
There are obvious plus sides to a young Englishman. The weather, the women, cheap alcohol and tobacco, and for someone in our world, great laws for growing dope. From the vast majority of Spanish people I've spoken to, the impression I get is the Spanish have a very laissez-faire attitude about it, which is really refreshing.
It was a big thing to try and figure out alone though, I had some advice through forums, which whilst useful was often contradictory, I really had to see for myself.

About a year passed by, and at this point by happen chance I started to converse with a friend in the seed industry here in Spain on a regular basis, over time we tossed some ideas around, and eventually it was suggested I get out to Spain, meet up and go over some ideas in person.
After some joints, alcoholic beverages, general chit chat and ice breaking, serious discussion, plans and ideas escalated, and we agreed to do it.
It was a big life change proposed, to up sticks and go for it, to leave family and friends behind, but the pro's far outweighed the cons on paper, and we started the serious look for a suitable place to call our HQ here.

After trawling through some internet property sites for what felt like an eternity, it was an arduous process, investigating the locations on google maps, calculating indoor/outdoor space, researching towns, transport links, prices, you name it. We were still drawing a big blank, we narrowed hundreds down to a 'short list' but nothing stood out and smacked us in the face saying 'perfect'.

However one day, just out of interest, I searched a little above our original budget, and immediately found a place just added that was well worth checking out in person.
I got on the blower to my friend, he called the guy up, and he went to see it that very day, he reported back that 'it was like an oasis' and a deal was done later that same day.
The place was a little rough around the edges, it had been neglected somewhat, but the scope of what we could do with it was too enticing to pass it up. All of our boxes were ticked, with added bonuses on top.

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245790-montanas-small.jpg

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-picture245793-woods-small.jpg

Cogs were turning and it became abundantly clear to me, to do things on the scale we intended it would be an impossibility to work solely by myself, there's only ever 24 hours in a day, and I only have one pair of hands, so at this point, one very close friend sprang to mind.
A good grower with a great work ethic, practical skills and first and foremost someone who I had lived with for several years without any drama.
He'll be on the forums soon, but for now, I'll introduce him as Tim :)

Thanks for reading, and hello everyone. I'll work on the next parts the next few days.

Peace, Mephisto (mitch)

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome sounds like your going done the right path

Welcome :d

Hey Mitch Connor :D and welcome to the AFN family bud!
That was one heck of one intro there bro, but i enjoyed every single bit of it and i cant wait to hear some more about your project.

We`re very happy you decided to come back to the AFN family bud :) enjoy :group:

Pleasure to meet you dude,

I spent a lot of last year researching how I could make the move to Spain to just be able to live comfortably, really glad to hear its not just a silly stoner fantasy and it's actually possible to live the good life. Got a few more months in my job and I'll be back on the hunt to see how I can make it over.

Look forward to catching up with you more soon dude.

:smokebuds:

chemli, rebelroy. Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated.

Pleasure to meet you dude,

I spent a lot of last year researching how I could make the move to Spain to just be able to live comfortably, really glad to hear its not just a silly stoner fantasy and it's actually possible to live the good life. Got a few more months in my job and I'll be back on the hunt to see how I can make it over.

Look forward to catching up with you more soon dude.

:smokebuds:

Rival fish, you'll read in the next parts, it isn't all rosey. It depends what you want to do out here, but things are very different to old blighty. There's been A LOT of blood, sweat and tears so far, but it's basically all about year 2 for us, where we should really reap the rewards.

If you have any questions though, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Mitch

Welcome! It's great to have an another pro here. I'm not one but we have many! Great, great to have you. Looking forward to meeting Tim!

High 5

Hope I don't make you regret those words dude.

Evil Laugh x

Good God what a read. Mitch, if you haven't considered it yet, you should consider writing a novel in your past time. That is, assuming you have any. If you are anything like most of us I am sure that is a pipe dream, past time that is.

It is a pleasure to read your short story and I look forward to continued reading. A pleasure to meet you and am so happy you have chosen to return to AFN. If you haven't figured it out yet, I have a smile on my face!

Welcome to AFN and I look forward to following your posts.

A4

Fantastic read, Mitch. Great story, and very well written. Its great to hear some heartwarming stories from the 'other side' of this absurd war, for a change. There is so much negativity out there, its inspiring to hear a tale of somebody who is following their heart, passion, and living THEIR dream. Much respect from the other side of the pond. Stay safe, my friend.

Wow, this is my dream :smoke:

Back