Live Stoners The science of leaf pruning/defoliation?

I am currently defoliating my plants a bit because they are so bushy that the leaves are resting on each other and unable to transpire properly and the leaves below get pretty wet where another leaf was resting on it. I am worried it will lead to mildew. I've added some more fans blowing up from the bottom of the tent as well. These plants seem to tolerate it well and the next day I cant tell I even cut anything.
As a ancedote, my mom is an avid gardener and grows cherry tomatos in a greenhouse. The tomatos have leaf branches and fruit branches. She cuts all the leaf branches off except for the top 10 and pinches off any side shoots that sprout from the nodes. This way the plant grows as a single long vine. The vines will go up the wall of the greenhouse and back down and up again a few times and only the growing tip has leaves the rest of the branches are all fruit. My point is that the top ten leaf branches support the production of fruit on the entire vine and they are super sweet and tasty.

I am currently defoliating my plants a bit because they are so bushy that the leaves are resting on each other and unable to transpire properly and the leaves below get pretty wet where another leaf was resting on it. I am worried it will lead to mildew. I've added some more fans blowing up from the bottom of the tent as well. These plants seem to tolerate it well and the next day I cant tell I even cut anything.
As a ancedote, my mom is an avid gardener and grows cherry tomatos in a greenhouse. The tomatos have leaf branches and fruit branches. She cuts all the leaf branches off except for the top 10 and pinches off any side shoots that sprout from the nodes. This way the plant grows as a single long vine. The vines will go up the wall of the greenhouse and back down and up again a few times and only the growing tip has leaves the rest of the branches are all fruit. My point is that the top ten leaf branches support the production of fruit on the entire vine and they are super sweet and tasty.

This is exactly why I’m a bottom up defoliator and stop with the top two nodes intact.

Your mom is a smart woman. I even use tomatoes nutrients on my Cannabis. Masterblend 4-18-38. It’s $30-35 for 12.5 lbs on eBay or amazon and you can control nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, and sulfur seperately since it’s a concentrated 3 part

While I didn’t get the exact answer I was looking for, the latest podcast from Tad Hussey of KIS Organics addressed the topic and did provide a bit of scientific information. The episode, though, is chock-full of fascinating new cannabis research from Dr. Allison Justice that’s working with commercial cannabis growers and other agriculture. I think it’s something ALL growers will find enlightening. Her findings are fascinating. Here’s a link....

G,Day DTOM420, Here is some "science" based information on Defoliation. Go to, www.cocoforcannabis.com . I am sure you will find it very interesting.

G,Day DTOM420, Apologies, i think i have given you the wrong site. I shall have another look and see if i can find the right one.

G,Day DTOM420, I have found the article i was looking for. Yes it is on the site, www.cocoforcannabis.com, once you are on the site, go to the Growers Forum, " Dr Photons Corner", then click on, To Defoliate or not to Defoliate, by Dr Photon. This article should answer your questions that you are asking here. I look forward to your response..

G,Day DTOM420, I have found the article i was looking for. Yes it is on the site, www.cocoforcannabis.com, once you are on the site, go to the Growers Forum, " Dr Photons Corner", then click on, To Defoliate or not to Defoliate, by Dr Photon. This article should answer your questions that you are asking here. I look forward to your response..
That is an Awesome article. Thanks for sharing
:thanks:

G,Day ColoradoDreamin, Thankyou for your kind words.

Back