New Grower To auto or not to auto that is the question

Since just finishing a pretty good photo run I'm ready to get back to keeping my light schedule instead of my plants....less space means growing in my bedroom and I'm old and get cranky when I don't get enough sleep.
Oh gosh how I feel that Bill. :rofl:

Like I said, now that prohibition is falling down, to keep the hacks out of the breeding business, you guys should move to a grade system at every level so the public know the risks with each facility

Only way that would happen is if the government imposed it, which would be a terrible idea in this context. The more realistic approach would be caveat emptor which - thanks to resources like AFN - can work. Stick with reputable breeders. I have had positive experiences with Mephisto and FB, among others. HTH, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Only way that would happen is if the government imposed it, which would be a terrible idea in this context. The more realistic approach would be caveat emptor which - thanks to resources like AFN - can work. Stick with reputable breeders. I have had positive experiences with Mephisto and FB, among others. HTH, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
I disagree, I think the cannabis industry should do it not the govt., everything the fking government touches turns to shit. Breeders and top people in the buzz should start an organization to inspect businesses and make them transparent. Turn the light on them, give them no where to hide.

Ok man. Good luck.

Yep exactly my point. You grow an awesome plant healthy in or around 70 Days. Presently I’m day 60 and no sign of flower, photos are 90-120 days and triple yields more than autos. And even if I flower early with a photo I’ll STILL get more yield than an auto by comparison. And since I have no intention of selling, I’ll give away weed. If I smoke like a mad man I won’t get through 2oz a month if I try. Thanks for your opinion, it’s valued but it seems the smart decision for me forward are photos until these breeders get better at their systems and better geneticists. They spend more time FIXING problem orders and shipping issues than ACTUALLY improving their technology for better results. It’s clear to me it’s more important for them to get your money and worry about any issues later, which they inadvertently placed now on the consumer. Well done. Photos from now on, not worth the hassle. And as far as yield? Well this is a pic of another failed auto, are these the yields? No thanks, photos baby, photos.
Chopping a 1+ pound auto this week mate. Your experience with yields from autos is only your experience. Your opinion of the breeders may be a little misguided.

Chopping a 1+ pound auto this week mate. Your experience with yields from autos is only your experience. Your opinion of the breeders may be a little misguided.
Well, you might be right or you might be wrong, neither of us know to be honest because to get the true numbers the man hours would be impossible. But what we do know is two things, there are successes with autos for some and absolute disasters for others. The problem for this industry is no regulation, and I don’t mean government, regulations from within the industry as a whole. And as long as this is able to continue, it will be the Wild West regarding any business you do within it, roll of the dice, and for me that’s unexceptable. Not when millions depend on it for help, the problem however, will set back the industry’s credibility until this issue is dealt with. The other problem for the industry is you only really hear the bad stuff right? I mean people post all their disappointments for the most part and rarely get back on line to post how pleased they are. I mean some do, my guess is a lot don’t, and that leaves the web full of criticism and anger about failed purchases, and the like. And the only way to change this road it’s on is to self regulate to (pardon the pun) get rid of the bad seeds in the industry by transparency in their dealings and practices. For all of us who have had nothing but crap, that’s all we see, next to aggravation in top tier prices charged for the things we wait sometimes over a month to get and it fails. If the Industry doesn’t get off their ass and start this process, trust me, the government will and THATS EXACTLY what they DONT WANT. If they don’t come up with a representative to head this I’m sure the government will give them one, they need to get ahead of this fast, because as they move forward and more inexperienced people get in to try it and feel like they get ripped off the issue will only compound itself. Thanks for taking the time for your input, it matters. Cheers..

The problem for this industry is no regulation, and I don’t mean government, regulations from within the industry as a whole.
That's just not going to happen in a quasi-legal market like the US. Just not a realistic option. The only way to do it would be through government regulation which, as you mentioned and I think most agree, is a terrible idea in this context.

And as long as this is able to continue, it will be the Wild West regarding any business you do within it, roll of the dice, and for me that’s unexceptable
I get what you are saying but you are using an unreasonably wide brush to paint the entire auto-breeding market. If you exercise care in breeder and cultivar selection you can minimize the risk of non-germ, bad genetics, etc. - some would say to the level of good photos. Stick with well-reviewed auto breeders (AFN is the best source of this information) and you will likely have better success. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
That's just not going to happen in a quasi-legal market like the US. Just not a realistic option. The only way to do it would be through government regulation which, as you mentioned and I think most agree, is a terrible idea in this context.

I get what you are saying but you are using an unreasonably wide brush to paint the entire auto-breeding market. If you exercise care in breeder and cultivar selection you can minimize the risk of non-germ, bad genetics, etc. - some would say to the level of good photos. Stick with well-reviewed auto breeders (AFN is the best source of this information) and you will likely have better success. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
I think your misunderstanding what I’m saying, the discussion for me is accountability through the industry in order to reach a higher standard as well as safety FOR the public, To set the bar so everyone’s idea of Grade A “IS” actual Grade A.
Wine is ranked, restaurants are ranked, hotels are ranked, Cigars are ranked all to educate the consumers on risk. Why should this industry be any different, those that do there job well deserve the accolades that accompanies their hard work and commitment and I do think it can be regulated privately through a board of professionals and inspections like the Michelin guide so to speak, self policing if you will. This industry will not be able to operate different than any other industry simply because it’s cannabis.
Soon I believe you’ll need a degree to be a bud tender in order to dispense cannabis meds, you’ll see. But all that aside, I just want what I buy, that’s it, no arguments from the company, no excuses just what I’ve paid for, and I think as the country wakes up, I hope the industry wakes up, before Biden does (the tax man) because he has a big footprint.

Wine is ranked, restaurants are ranked, hotels are ranked, Cigars are ranked
By whom? Online review sites (to which AFN and similar forums are analogous)? I don't see the difference between Cigar Aficionado with its reviews and the various review sources now available online. Format certainly, but most of the same substantive information is there.

Soon I believe you’ll need a degree to be a bud tender in order to dispense cannabis meds, you’ll see.
Ummm ok. Why?

By whom? Online review sites (to which AFN and similar forums are analogous)? I don't see the difference between Cigar Aficionado with its reviews and the various review sources now available online. Format certainly, but most of the same substantive information is there.

Ummm ok. Why?
Um, safety for people that have never had anything like this. I’m not sure how your not aware of how some places around the country are getting meds waaaay stronger than they can handle, read about it all the time. Just ask a bud tender about it they’ll tell you. But we are now waaay off subject from the reason why I’m here, crappy genetics again and I was looking for info, I’m not here to debate. Cheers

Back