New Grower Trichomes

FullDuplex

Gnome Grown
Staff member
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
gnomeautomatics.com
Over the last few years i have really gotten into the depth of the cannabis plant and what makes them tick. After all, all we are after in 8-9 weeks is a perfectly formed Trichome. Now with that said there are a few different types that form on our favorite plants but what are they and what do they carry?

So what i want to do here is discuss what i have read as well as what i have seen first hand. I am hoping to see what the differences are as well as others input. I have a few theories about what the different types have to offer and i hope you all have some input too. And maybe with all of us together we can get the THC levels up in them as well as lock in other traits that are beneficial to patients.

Last edited:
3 Identified types of Trichomes

Bulbous:
The bulbous type is the smallest (15-30 micron). From one to four cells make up the "foot" and "stalk," and one to four cells make up the "head" of the gland. Head cells secrete a resin - presumably cannabinoids, and related compounds which accumulate between the head cells and the cuticle. When the gland matures, a nipple-like protrusion may form on the membrane from the pressure of the accumulating resin. The bulbous glands are found scattered about the surfaces of the above-ground plant parts.

Capitate-Sessile:
The second type of gland is much larger & is more numerous than the bulbous glands. They are called capitate, which means having a globular-shaped head. On immature plants, the heads lie flush, appearing not to have a stalk and are called capitate sessile. They actually have a stalk that is one cell high, although it may not be visible beneath the globular head. The head is composed of usually eight, but up to 16 cells, that form a convex rosette. These cells secrete cannabinoids, and related compounds which accumulate between the rosette and it's outer membrane. This gives it a spherical shape. The gland measures from 25 to 100 micron across.

Capitate-Stalked:
Cannabinoids are most abundant in the capitate-stalked gland which consists of a tier of secretory disc cells subtending a large non-cellular secretory cavity. During flowering the capitate glands that appear on the newly formed plant parts take on a third form. Some of the glands are raised to a height of 150 to 500 micron when their stalks elongate. These capitate-stalked glands appear during flowering and form their densest cover on the female flower bracts. They are also highly concentrated on the small leaves that accompany the flowers. The male flowers have stalked glands on the sepals, but they are smaller and less concentrated than on the female bracts. Male flowers form a row of very large capitate glands along the opposite sides of anthers.

awesome info dude! makes me want a good microscope even more!!!! aghhhh!!!! looking forward to more mate!

lol.... Piss off with your microcope FD! lol

Brilliant....Trichomes are the most impotant part of the plant...
for most of us..
yet..
their is Very Very little information about them..

Well Done FD..lets get the Party Started....:dance:

....:crying:

awesome info dude! makes me want a good microscope even more!!!! aghhhh!!!! looking forward to more mate!

Thanks JM, its something that i have been watching and paying close detail to. I think there are a million hidden secrets in them waiting to be unlocked.
I wish i had the right equipment to get the specifics of the strains i have been growing but the $$ isn't there for toys like that.....yet. I wish i could take credit for the above information but it is info that i have read but found proprietary to share. Something to give others a foundation on what i am talking about.

:crying:

good shit JM i about fell out of my chair when i read this......:clap:

Brilliant....Trichomes are the most impotant part of the plant...
for most of us..
yet..
their is Very Very little information about them..

I agree here my friend, from all i have read its the same info over and over and over again with no progression. I think that with the information i found above it gives me an idea on what is what. I have seen all three types on your lines, but in different quantities as well as location. Most of the time there is an equal amount of the three on your lines.

It would explain the good high as well as the great pain relief that are all bundled into them. I also think that this is whay we see the change clear to milky but not a lot going to amber. Seems that the majority of the THC filled glands are the ones that we see going amber on the plants. If you look as the plant matures from week to week through the scope you will see the actual change that i am talking about.

So. with that said.......

Well Done FD..lets get the Party Started....:dance:
:dancer::dance::dancer::dance:

What the whites have taught me

Over the past few years there has been a staple line in my cab that i have been working with to scare the color out of. Well in the time that i have spent with them i have learned about everything i could about the white genetics that are in the plant. I am talking about the famous Mossy Purple Jem.

I started growing them in hopes of seeing the purple that i saw on the package, but on my first and second goes with them i still saw no purple. So i decided to chase out the color in the lines to get the purple and i got more than i was asking for. They wanted to teach me more about the white side than anything.

Right now there are a few complaints about autos, but the two that i hear the most are that they aren't potent enough and yield. I will be leaning more towards the side of potency here than the yield aspect as it directly deals with what the trichomes contain. As we have come leaps and bounds from LR1 we are starting to see more and more potent plants coming out in auto form. The reason i think that we are seeing this is the mentality of the breeder wanting to make the plant more potent. The thing that i don't think that they are realizing is how they are actually accomplishing this. Right now i know of one other Breeder that actually takes a look to the trichome level to see what is going on in the crosses. Yes most can see a physical change in color or any other physical trait in the plant as you hyb it out, but the one thing in the genetic mix up you really cant see is whats going on at the trich level.

Here as i have stated before is where the real magic happens. This is the place that we all look to reach for. A perfect formed and mature THC gland. But which ones doe we want? This is where the hard part comes in and the water starts getting a little cloudy. All of my research on photo girls says that the actual "drug" qualities of cannabis are recessive or later showing as the plant matures. For example, in the photo breeding i have done the use of a later showing male had a tendency of carrying stronger effect traits than a male that showed soon or early in the Veg stage. The best males i ever used never showed pre-flowers in anything but 12/12 or less light. I have seen both male and female photo plants show pre flowers in the veg stage.

As i learned more about what traits exhibit what i learned was the raised trichomes or Capitate-Stalked are the ones that seem to go from the famous Clear to milky to amber. As i started IBL'ing the JEM line this is what i would hunt for each time i would breed the next generation. Now that i am at F3 with my selections i am getting more and more "white" looking plants. When i scope them i am seeing more of the Capitate-Stalked glands than the other two. When i selected P1 it had a pretty even balance of all three types of trich's. Now that i have IBL'ed with raised trich's in mind, i am seeing less of the Capitate-Sessile and Bulbous. With this the JEM line i have is getting stronger and stronger. The stay of the high has lengthened and the amount smoked is less, to me this is a positive progression in what i want.

I was telling TBM to watch his JEMS as they mature. On the last set of JEMS i cut down 90+% of the plant was showing the correct trich maturity progression. I warned him to cut them early as they will still metabolize after they have been cut and it could way to far into amber. the current F3 generation of JEM i am growing now started forming trich's on fans and buds at 3.5 weeks of life they are now at the 5 week mark and are covered. I can almost consider the entire crop as white BUT i have one who is not showing the same trich traits.

So this is part of my take on the raised trich glands. I have more about it just no time to type it out.

Last edited:
Back