New Grower Twisted New Growth on Otherwise Healthy Autos?

Twisted New Growth on otherwise Healthy Autos?

Bad Juju

New User
Reaction score
Hey growmies, im new here so thanks for the add! Really hard to find a knowledgeable and friendly community who wants to help and not shit on each other’s gardens so thanks for ghis.. Been listening to the autflower podcast ( along with every-other poscast i could find as well as reading the “teaming with nutrients trilogy by Jeff Lowenfell etc..) but ive only been growing since it became legal here in Arizona this year so im psyched i finally signed up. thanks to everyone here in advance. Sorry for the ramble.
Alright , to my garden question.., im getting this curly new growth about 5 weeks in On these hash hog x blue berry autos ( SHN or Home grown cannabis co, cant remember) and im wonderjng if its nutrient toxicity, heat, or nothing to worry about. They were up potted into some hot ish soil from solo cups on 7/20/21 and have been growing idealy since. I assumed i would need to top dress pretty soon here because i havent added anything other than a compost tea once every14 ish days or so. Also using recharge and bio bizz- Fish•Mix periodically.

i throw in little bit of aloe and or kelp when its just a water day, could too much aloe or kelp be the cause for twisted new growth ?

im fairly confident it isnt heat , ph, lights being too close, or over watering since ive got my environment pretty dialed in, as well as my watering. Already went through my overwatering phase early on …

Do you all have any ideas or experience with this issue? Is it genetics, or can i change something to help ? Other than that ive had zero problems this run.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Theres 3 total, 2 of them I trained, the other im letting go naturally; heres the 3rd, sort of doing the same curly thing on new growth;
image.jpg

Reactions: AMG
@Bad Juju welcome along to AFN. This is the place you have been looking for. I am no expert, but there are some quality members on here who have knowledge that seems boundless and are excellent people who are willing to help.
All the best on your grow. Someone who actually knows what they are on about will be able to help you. Sorry I can't.
Cheers,
EP3

@Bad Juju welcome along to AFN. This is the place you have been looking for. I am no expert, but there are some quality members on here who have knowledge that seems boundless and are excellent people who are willing to help.
All the best on your grow. Someone who actually knows what they are on about will be able to help you. Sorry I can't.
Cheers,
EP3
Cheers,
EP3
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Reactions: EP3
That is the AFN way. Good to meet you and all the best.
Cheers,
EP3

@Bad Juju :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:Your plants look fine but they are on the edge of getting to much fertilizer. Autos need less than Photoperiod plants and most nutrient schedules are for Photos. The twisting is mostly just genetic. You should learn about balanced nutrients and why you should not mix and match vendors that use catchy names. Once you have a couple dozen grows under your belt you will then be able to make additions based on knowledge and not advertising.

Take a look at my primer:

Keep up the good work. :goodluck:

@Bad Juju :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:Your plants look fine but they are on the edge of getting to much fertilizer. Autos need less than Photoperiod plants and most nutrient schedules are for Photos. The twisting is mostly just genetic. You should learn about balanced nutrients and why you should not mix and match vendors that use catchy names. Once you have a couple dozen grows under your belt you will then be able to make additions based on knowledge and not advertising.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond ! Badass community. I 100% agree.

Thanks! I 100% agree! Confused tho, what do u mean mix n match , n the whole catchy brands comment. Are you saying i shouldnt order from those sites? I was under the impression they provided good genetics like mandalorian , barneys, uh, dinafem, dutch passion , hombolt, mephisto,,,, am i searching in the wrong place for genetics, or have I misunderstood ur comment?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me advice and not bulshitting me. Im not married to my grow methods whatsoever and really appreciate your experience and the time you take sharing it .

Reactions: EP3
Just throwing this out there as I have had this personally but it was a light intensity issue even though you said your environment is dialed in. Just had to dial it back/raise it and it seemed to help. Could just be the genetics as mentioned and recover just fine. I always get some weird leafs to start but normal ones seem to take over as it grows.

I think ive seen MOG in the past say not to mix up nutrient brands but use all one line up. (all fox farms or dutch passion versus part 1 from FF and part 2 from DP, etc). The lines are designed to work together within their own brand not with other brands used in tandem. Could be getting more of something in ones 'bloom' vs the other or similar - hence the 'edge of too much fert' from the hot soil.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond ! Badass community. I 100% agree.

Thanks! I 100% agree! Confused tho, what do u mean mix n match , n the whole catchy brands comment. Are you saying i shouldnt order from those sites? I was under the impression they provided good genetics like mandalorian , barneys, uh, dinafem, dutch passion , hombolt, mephisto,,,, am i searching in the wrong place for genetics, or have I misunderstood ur comment?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me advice and not bulshitting me. Im not married to my grow methods whatsoever and really appreciate your experience and the time you take sharing it .
:crying: :crying: :crying: I am sorry. I mean nutrient names not seeds. If you read my primer you will see that I recommend using a single nutrient vendor and their entire line.

What are the tell-tale signs in those pics the plants are on the edge of getting too much fertilizer? Is it the scattered turned-down tip? I hope to one day have your eye for this sort of thing lol.

What are the tell-tale signs in those pics the plants are on the edge of getting too much fertilizer? Is it the scattered turned-down tip? I hope to one day have your eye for this sort of thing lol.
Highlights in the photo are nearly white but the plant remains fairly dark green and the leaf tips are clawing. This is not extreme yet but really time to back off on the PPMs.

toogreen.jpg

Back