Old Reviews Vape Review: FocusVape

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I killed my DaVinci Ascent..........WAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa! I loved that vape! But, I can't go without one and couldn't afford to replace the Ascent so I went looking for a portable vape worth buying. Hunted for a few hours and came across a couple of reviews on the Focus Vape. Very good reviews led me to hunt for one. I found a lady on ebay selling them.

I have a new way of dealing with ebay purchases. I don't buy direct from the Chinese at all anymore. The items I am interested, I email the seller with questions, not that I need answers, but to elicit a response to see what kind of seller I'm dealing with.

The person I dealt with for this vaporizer was friendly and helpful, so I made the purchase.

The Focusvape site has a very good presentation on this vape so, I'll post that for detailed info on the unit.

http://www.ifocusvaporizer.com/home/products.html

I'll post some pics of mine.

My first impressions of the Focusvape was, its a very nicely made vaporizer given its $119 retail price! The leather like covering gives the vape a nice, always warm feel. It feels a little heavy at first, but you find it pleasant to hold.

One of the features I bought it for was, the removable battery. Its an 18650 battery, easy to find spares. You need to be sure if you buy a spare from anyone but the reseller, you need the 18650 with the flat top, not the raised top, they won't fit...I checked lol!

While speaking of the battery, I'm surprised how long one battery will last. We got 6-7 5 minute sessions ( with like one or two where we just forgot to hit it before it went off... )I ordered 4 spares from ebay.

The Focus vape come with a battery charger. It also has a built in micro-usb port, exposed by the trim ring that also adjusts air flow. With the battery charger, the battery charges quickly. From 50% to full charge took 1 hour, the usb took 2 hours.

Moving on to the chamber, the Focusvape has the nicest looking ceramic chamber I've seen! Gleaming white surrounded by gold accents... nice!

Down side, the chamber is not all that big, maybe .25 gram. I'm still experimenting with packing but It doesn't like a tight pack.

The mouth piece is glass pressed into a silicone gasket. It is comfortable to the touch. The interior part of the mouth piece has a removable screen holder, and behind it is a ceramic filter. My opinion is its just junk restricting the airflow.

I like free drawing vapes and this is not one stock, although it is nowhere near as bad as the Pax/Pax2, you won't cave your face in trying to get a hit.... It actually works quite well as is. I removed the stock screen and filter. I took off the mouthpiece and stuffed a filter in the opening. Big improvement in airflow IMO. I also fill the chamber 3/4 lightly packed, and drop another 3/8" screen on top of the weed. It pretty much stops the mouth piece from plugging.

To power on the vape, you press the button 4 times quickly. It will blink the the light goes out again. The vape is in standby. Press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds until the light changes color and blinks. From here, it takes about 20 seconds to warm up! Give it another 10 to get a nice first hit.

To change power levels, you press the button twice quickly. there are 6 temperatures from 320 to 428F. I like the 374 and 392F best.

The Focusvape has a 5 minute on time, then goes to stand by for 2 minutes. Press the power button for 2-3 seconds and it will power up again. Press 4 times to turn it off.

Vaspor quality is very,very good! Nice smooth draws right to the end of the bowl. We get maybe 8-10 hits before it is spent.

The cloud of vapor is good, but not outstanding. Considering how small the vape is, its actually quite good. And with my mod for airflow, the hits were very good.We are currently using this as our daily vaporizer.

The Focusvape is very easy to clean! So far, not much of anything sticks to the bowl at all. I can sometimes just slap thew vape against my hand and thew avb will fall right out.

Although a little long, this is a stealthy vape with its flat black or green leather like cover. You can't hide it in your hand but its really not to obvious and blends in fairly well with the ejuice vapes that are so common now.

There are some accessories for this vape also. A bubbler that looks interesting, I'm ordering one. There are bong adapters also and a wax cartridge for it. The accessories are not easy to find though.

Final thoughts:

I really like this vape. Won't call it my favorite, that's still the DaVinci Ascent. But for a vape under $150, it is in the top 10 in this style of vaporizer.

focusvape pic1.jpg
focusvape pic2.jpg
focusvape pic3.jpg

ahh Davinci crapped out on ya eh? man a lot of pressing that button. how robust does that button seem man? ive had them wear out before. not on a vape but that style. just curious. also what do the reviews say about the lasting potential in these. nice review dude. Thanks again!

didn't crap out, I tripped over the power cord and busted the power jack....................... :baghead:

ahh Davinci crapped out on ya eh? man a lot of pressing that button. how robust does that button seem man? ive had them wear out before. not on a vape but that style. just curious. also what do the reviews say about the lasting potential in these. nice review dude. Thanks again!

Thy button feels solid, better than most I've tried
didn't crap out, I tripped over the power cord and busted the power jack....................... :baghead:

We've been using this daily now and it has been working well. I ordered extra batteries. But the one battery getr us thru the day with just one re-charge.

Getting pretty good hits with it! I pack it moderately, 3/4 full, then drop a .375 screen on top of the weed. With the mods to the mouth piece and this, I get strong hits. Doesn't match either DaVinci but probably the strongest hitting "cigar" style I've used. Flavor of the vapor is great also. If you want to share this vape with friends, be sure to have a couple spare batteries! Even one spare will get 2 people using the Focusvape thru a day.

After using this vape for several days, I must say I enjoy using it! The only real con is with multiple users, the mouth piece gets hot, a common problem with vapes that have the oven right below the mouth piece. I just ordered the bubbler for it! Will post on it when it arrives.

and easy fix for the hot mouth piece is, the Focusvape comes with a spare glass tip. Just swap it out when one gets hot! It just pops into and out of the silicone seal

Update:

Damn I like this vape! In fact, I think it may bump my DaVinci ( not the Ascent ) out of 1st place in the $100 - $150 price range. I'm discovering that all vapes can take some tweaking, and just a little had turned this into an great device! The improved airflow from removing the screen and filter from the mouth piece was the key. I also fill the chamber, packed a bit tight, three quarters full, and drop a screen on top.
This thing can hit HARD now! Don't let its size fool you! And you can use it with a bong, as is! The adapter would be better but, hey, this works!
All you need to do, is turn the temp up to the max, pop off the glass mouth piece, and stand it on your bong. Hold it with a little downward pressure and take a hit! Blow out your breath and take the biggest rip you can! Its so smooth! And even thru the bong, you'll get enough vapor to make you cough a little!

Battery life is not bad either. And with using replaceable batteries, its hard to find fault with this vape. Only downside is the display. Someone who is color blind would half to cound button presses to know the temperature.

If your looking for a good, reasonably priced, portable vape, check out the Focusvape! http://88vaporizer.com/shop/dry-herbal-vaporizer/focus-vape/?v=7516fd43adaa

vape-bong.jpg

Batteries!
The Focus vape and several other vapes of this type use 18650 batteries. Now there are several different types of 18650, with or without soldering tabs, with a button top or a flat top. And now I guess there doesn't seem to be a standardization of length..........I had to try 4 different brands of flat top batteries ( which the Focusvape uses ) to find one that fit! Why? because Focus didn't want to use much of a spring, in order to keep the length down, so compression on the one in it is minute, maybe a mm or 2. The vape is machined to close tolerances, which I find impressive in a low priced product.

However, if you get a Focus, and don't want to pay $15.00 for a battery ( plus shipping... ), I found a seller on ebay with good batteries at a good price. I payed $8.40 for 4 batteries, free shipping. Tested them and all work fine and fit correctly.

Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-18650...=51e69c717f5d47ec96791e5244f5f1af&pid=100102&

Back