Veg and bloom together in rdwc?

Reaction score
So I've been using advanced nutrients pH Perfect and they recommend the same ratios for veg and bloom (doesn't seem right to me either, but I figure they must know what they're talking about). Which led me to wonder if I could run a perpetual rdwc system, putting in a new plant each week (seedlings may have to start on their own for a week). The veg and bloom seem like they would complement each others feeding, one taking N and lowering the pH, the other raising while absorbing P. I tried to see if I could find anyone doing this, but my searching skills could probably use some work. Does this not seem like a genius ( if somewhat obvious) idea? Any ideas of why it might not work, or potential problems? I'd very much like to start a perpetual grow, and anything besides dwc is a non-starter for me. I feel as if someone else must have had the same idea? What does everyone think?

@Jovinn Theoretically that would work. In practical terms I think it would fail.

I think you will find that the adjustments to the nutrients available to the plant's maturity level are in the AN products you are not using. Having a plant in all of the needed zones at the time needed would be improbable.

Since I'm already not using their additives, I can't see the benefit of having all the plants absorbing similarly. Why is it better to have them all sucking N in veg (for instance), than to even out their demands? Seems like this way it would help reduce imbalances from them all absorbing similarly.
I'm not going to use a bunch of additives, just not happening. I may adjust the ratios of the three parts in the future (everything in my experience screams at me that they should have more P in bloom. I'm also willing to concede they know their product better than I do). But if I'm following the manufacturers directions, same concentration same ratio for veg and bloom. So why not run them together? Heck, they're already in the same light cycle. it would be pretty great to combine the magic of autos and dwc in a perpetual grow. Basically I just don't see the benefit from all the plants absorbing uniformly. It would seem like that would be the Worst situation, as far as imbalance, pH swing, nute depletion etc. Normally I'd be giving different solutions to them at different stages, but Advanced Nutrients says no. Seems so obvious, I can't be the first to think of this. That it's not being done routinely makes me suspect some unforseen issues. It's very tempting. I may just have to try it and see.

I've run a couple plants with the AN Sensi line. Not been my favorite but it works. Starting water ppm and pH is essential to it working well. I found that R/O or distilled water works great. Also, you need to mix it and let it rest for the "pH perfect" to work. It is not ready immediately. Best results and stability are at the 3ml/gal and up strength.

I ran their "soil" base A/B only in coco coir recently and had great results with running the "grow" formula almost exclusively until the last 3 weeks when I ran the "bloom" version. Aside from some slight adjustments being needed, the base A/B and maybe calmag would work in DWC.

I don't know about a perpetual res feeding everything but I suspect it could work.

I have been using the Jacks 3-2-1 on my latest run and it is far superior ph/EC stability wise. Been running at 80% strength which is actually 3g/2g/1g ratio. Seems to work well for autos. I need to tweak it a bit but I have been very impressed so far.

EDIT: current Jacks 3/2/1 formula is 4gal "Purfied drinking water" , 5.8ml silica product ( tweak this for pH), 12g "A", 4.6g Epsom salt, 8g "B"

been coming out at a steady 730ppm and 5.9pH

I will look into Jacks, I don't love the pH perfect, but the swings with GH Flora were killing me. I have 9 giants in 5 gallon buckets, I can only fill it to 25 gallons with the roots and water level drop across buckets. Definitely skirting the very edge of low res capacity, and the AN has turned out to be as vital as Bacillus amylo. It doesn't stay at 6.0 (ranging from 5-7) (I'm using 4 ml/gal, tap at 60ppm 8.3.) I don't adjust the ph of my water as that would defeat the purpose of using buffered nutes. The main idea is that since they recommend the same solution for veg and bloom, why not combine them in one system for a perpetual grow? Seems like it should work. The question of course, is how well?

Back