Vegging seedlings under dual spec hps

Reaction score
Hi guys, just started off some Amsterdam amnesia, 5 seeds in soil, they've all germinated, I've got a dual spectrum hps bulb with 250, 400, 600, 660 watt dimmable power settings, I'm Not using my leds from last time as they were wank. My question is they have just sprouted out the earth about 1cm above soil, what height should I have a 250 watt hps bulb for vegging the little guys I've got it about 26 inches at moment. I've left the domes on till tomorrow morning. And then I'll take 3m all off. Any advice welcome. Cheers

I've lowered it now but you get the idea of the setup

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_180744.jpg
    IMG_20210713_180744.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
@AutoBobje any ideas my man??
I don't have many experience with indoor growing, let alone with HPS. But what I can tell you is that a seedling needs light.
How far? I would hold my hand where I want to put the seedling. If it is comfortable for the hand, it will be as well for the seedling :thumbsup:
I would add a bit more just to be sure and if the seedling starts to stretch you can always lower the light.

Detect the temperature using the back of your arm
Put your forearm, underside up, underneath the grow light and test at what height your skin becomes uncomfortably warm. This will be approximately the minimum distance you should have to the top of the canopy. Add a few centimeters to the distance and adjust the height of the grow light above the canopy by this much. Check a few hours later to see if there is any leaf curling or bleaching. If there are signs of damage, such as leaf curling, raise a few centimeters until you find a height that is suitable and maintain this distance as the plants grow.

Trial and error
Set the distance from the underside of the light to the top of the canopy of about 60 centimeters. Check a few hours later to see if there is any leaf curling or bleaching. If there are no signs of damage lower the grow light five centimeters, leave for a while and check for damage again. Repeat until you detect signs of heat damage. This will be approximately the minimum distance you should have to the top of the canopy. Add a few centimeters to this distance and adjust the height of the grow light above the canopy accordingly. Maintain this distance as the plants grow.

Maintain the optimum distance throughout the grow
Once you have established the optimum hanging height for your grow light system it is essential you constantly raise the light as the top of the canopy gets higher.

Are they putting out a lot of heat? I've never used them but commercial guys do well by them. How much power do they draw?

Detect the temperature using the back of your arm
Put your forearm, underside up, underneath the grow light and test at what height your skin becomes uncomfortably warm. This will be approximately the minimum distance you should have to the top of the canopy. Add a few centimeters to the distance and adjust the height of the grow light above the canopy by this much. Check a few hours later to see if there is any leaf curling or bleaching. If there are signs of damage, such as leaf curling, raise a few centimeters until you find a height that is suitable and maintain this distance as the plants grow.

Trial and error
Set the distance from the underside of the light to the top of the canopy of about 60 centimeters. Check a few hours later to see if there is any leaf curling or bleaching. If there are no signs of damage lower the grow light five centimeters, leave for a while and check for damage again. Repeat until you detect signs of heat damage. This will be approximately the minimum distance you should have to the top of the canopy. Add a few centimeters to this distance and adjust the height of the grow light above the canopy accordingly. Maintain this distance as the plants grow.

Maintain the optimum distance throughout the grow
Once you have established the optimum hanging height for your grow light system it is essential you constantly raise the light as the top of the canopy gets higher.

Are they putting out a lot of heat? I've never used them but commercial guys do well by them. How much power do they draw?
Cheers guys I wasnt sure if seedlings like they have only just popped out the soil would find that sort of light way too intense. But I'll try it. Nice one

Back