What is this?

Reaction score
FFOF soil.
PH water to 6.0-6.8
Dr. Earth flower girl/ Veg 2 tbsp gallon added this at day 15.
3 gallon pot
4 tbps bone meal, just added 2 days ago because I thought it was phosphorus deficiency.

looks like its getting worse each day.

I do not check EC or PPM as I heard its not needed in soil. Also, no way to check it.

They are 4 weeks from seed. Didn’t seed any issues until it went into flower. Same issue is on 2 plants. This is the worse.

E3301A7A-5A88-4A38-93A6-DEF821C41E49.jpeg
6C53CC46-A707-4FBB-A0F7-9A78E72A090A.jpeg
E2878305-A4E4-4F89-8EFA-0C74D4E99937.jpeg

Looks like it could be magnesium deficiency, late stages.

Have you been adding lots of potassium to the soil? Excess K can cause a magnesium nute block. Looks like the veins between the flesh of the leaves are still alive.

Best thing you could do now imo is get yourself some fox farm sledgehammer if you dont have it already and give it a flush. About 2 to 3 gallons with about 2-4 tsp/gal. This will lock out all nutes and rinse about 80-90% of them out giving you an opportunity to start fresh. Its really only effecting the lower leaves which is why im leaning on mag deficiency. Your lower leaves are giving all their nutes to the top of the plant so its either a mobile nutrient deficiency or its a ph problem causing a lock out.

If it happened after you started flowering before you add magnesium do a slurry test of your soil. 2 parts distilled water 1 part soil, mix well and let settle. Test. At flower you want to be a little more on the acidic side about 6.0-6.2.

I learned just the other day you can also test your run off to find the ph of your soil. Measure the input and the run off. If your run off is a lower ph than your input subtract your run off ph from the input and the difference is the soil ph. If its higher add the difference between the input and runoff to the input ph and that is the ph of the soil.

Last edited:

Have you been adding lots of potassium to the soil? Excess K can cause a magnesium nute block. Looks like the veins between the flesh of the leaves are still alive.

Best thing you could do now imo is get yourself some fox farm sledgehammer if you dont have it already and give it a flush. About 2 to 3 gallons with about 2-4 tsp/gal. This will lock out all nutes and rinse about 80-90% of them out giving you an opportunity to start fresh. Its really only effecting the lower leaves which is why im leaning on mag deficiency. Your lower leaves are giving all their nutes to the top of the plant so its either a mobile nutrient deficiency or its a ph problem causing a lock out.

If it happened after you started flowering before you add magnesium do a slurry test of your soil. 2 parts distilled water 1 part soil, mix well and let settle. Test. At flower you want to be a little more on the acidic side about 6.0-6.2.

I learned just the other day you can also test your run off to find the ph of your soil. Measure the input and the run off. If your run off is a lower ph than your input subtract your run off ph from the input and the difference is the soil ph. If its higher add the difference between the input and runoff to the run off ph and that is the ph of the soil.
I realized when i said if your runoff ph is less than the input, subtract the runoff from the input AND subtract the difference from the runoff. Slurry test is definitely easier.

Last edited:
I didn’t know you can flush out organic nutes from soil?
I mustve skipped that part when I was reading through your post. Its made to use with the whole fox farm line up which is 1/3 omri organic. Im running them now. Though I dont follow their soil feeding schedule to a t but I do flush every 3 to 4 weeks and it definitely seems to help keep things looking good. Always works for me when my plants get out of wack and the ph is in the normal range. Wont hurt anything either but if you're using ffof it is ammended with synthetic fertilizer as well as organic. I actually wont use straight OF anymore cuz its super hot. I started my current run with 3parts happy frog and 1 part ocean forest and Ive had none of the weird nute problems I had with straight ocean

I learned just the other day you can also test your run off to find the ph of your soil. Measure the input and the run off. If your run off is a lower ph than your input subtract your run off ph from the input and the difference is the soil ph. If its higher add the difference between the input and runoff to the input ph and that is the ph of the soil.
I realized when i said if your runoff ph is less than the input, subtract the runoff from the input AND subtract the difference from the runoff. Slurry test is definitely easier.
I didn’t know you can flush out organic nutes from soil?
Pictured: Delivery robots queue patiently to use pedestrian crossing in Cambridge | Daily Mail Online

I'm looking Thinking wow............how come someone hasn't stolen them...... :pass: ....or a set of Yoofs haven't tried to ride them........

:biggrin:
I have the understanding the runnof reading from soil can be very misleading and flushing soil most of the times will make the problem worse with soil.. This what @Mañ'O'Green said about flushing but he may have changed his tune since

"FFOF is Soil and you cannot successfully flush soil it often makes matters worse. Soil has elements like Dolomite lime and other rock hard sources of nutrients that the soil microbes break down into the ionic forms the plant can uptake. Flushing washes away all of the available soluable nutrients along will most of the living microbes but leaves behind the solid forms of nutrients totally out of balance. You have no way of knowing what is in the pot and no way of determining what to add back in to try to get the balance back. You simply do not have enough time to get the soil healthy again before the plants are done. "

FFOF soil.
PH water to 6.0-6.8
Dr. Earth flower girl/ Veg 2 tbsp gallon added this at day 15.
3 gallon pot
4 tbps bone meal, just added 2 days ago because I thought it was phosphorus deficiency.

looks like its getting worse each day.

I do not check EC or PPM as I heard its not needed in soil. Also, no way to check it.

They are 4 weeks from seed. Didn’t seed any issues until it went into flower. Same issue is on 2 plants. This is the worse.

View attachment 1543380View attachment 1543381View attachment 1543382
what is your water source? do you know starting ppm and ph of water? With my soil girls I only monitor inputs

I have the understanding the runnof reading from soil can be very misleading and flushing soil most of the times will make the problem worse with soil.. This what @Mañ'O'Green said about flushing but he may have changed his tune since

"FFOF is Soil and you cannot successfully flush soil it often makes matters worse. Soil has elements like Dolomite lime and other rock hard sources of nutrients that the soil microbes break down into the ionic forms the plant can uptake. Flushing washes away all of the available soluable nutrients along will most of the living microbes but leaves behind the solid forms of nutrients totally out of balance. You have no way of knowing what is in the pot and no way of determining what to add back in to try to get the balance back. You simply do not have enough time to get the soil healthy again before the plants are done. "
The problem with flushing soil is that you can't know what is left in there, and that means you can't know what to add back. The flushing product mentioned earlier might deal with this, but the basic problem is difficult to fix. Which is one of the reasons I have gone back to coco. At least with coco, I can flush with reasonably predictable outcome.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

The problem with flushing soil is that you can't know what is left in there, and that means you can't know what to add back. The flushing product mentioned earlier might deal with this, but the basic problem is difficult to fix. Which is one of the reasons I have gone back to coco. At least with coco, I can flush with reasonably predictable outcome.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Oh I whole heartedly agree and I think the stuff may help but he is going to need to follow FF schedule to a tee with all the additives they suggest but keeping in mind that schedule is designed for photo's and I assume this a auto?

ph from the sink is 8ish, i ph to around 6.5. Not sure of ppm

:face: take this with a grain of salt but with a ph of 8 I am guessing it has high ppm too with what we don't know maybe too much calcium.... but it is possible to get a water quality report from most municipalities which would help or possibly a home water test kit will get you in the ballpark if report is not available...

Back