Lighting What's the best lighting cycle for autos - 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6

What is the best lighting cycle for autos?

• Total voters
I voted for 20/4 for financial reasons. Our electricity provider has a 4 hour window year around where they charge significantly higher rates, 4-7 pm each day except weekends and holidays.

18/6 all the way from seed to harvest saves money and I done all 3 common light cycles. didnt make a difference in yield and my plants are way happier getting that night time.

I voted other as it depends on the individual needs of each grower! For example, I run 24/7 in the winter time for the added heat, (but I don;t mind turning off the lights the last couple weeks of flower to try for a more purple color). However, if a polar vortex hits my area and temps drop even in the teens ... I change my exhaust ducting from venting outdoors to the adjourning room, (next to my grow space), that isn't heated when it gets that cold. If temps climb back into the 60s during the day, than I'm screwed again. If it's for just a few days, I turn off the lights for 6 hours during the warmest part of the day. Any longer and I change my ducting again, (vent pipe is already in place ... I just have to remove/tighting 1 clamp for the changeover). Late spring though early fall, lights off 12 noon & back on at 6pm, (but I usually take a break during July & August). Just my 2 cents! :peace: :pass:

Last edited:
Define "best" The largest yield ignoring electricity cost or the best return on investment for electricity cost.
I usually do 18/6 but was getting too crowded and tried 12/12 and plants look good and growth seems unchanged.
LED 130 watts in 2x2

I think that if you're growing organically, you do need a rest period.

In one of Dr B's vids and other appearances, he talks of intensity of light.
Now the question is how you reach the DLI for the plant?
Do you race to reach that DLI with an intense adjustment of your light in a shorter amount of time and a longer rest period?
Or do you lower the intensity and take a longer time to reach the plant's DLI?

Now the question is how do you achieve that intensity?
Do you crank the light up and hang it up high or do you dim it and lower the light?
With the beast of a light like my HLG DIABLO 650R, I think cranking up the light in power and setting it high in the tent is the best way. I think the lower power and lower light intensity set up would be best for the bar type lights. Otherwise, If you have board type lights, you'd have to have more lights.
I think with LEDs, you'd need to take the leaf temps in mind with either method.
I'm after the method that gives the highest quality of BUDS! Sure, I like quantity, but quality supersedes everything!

Back