Young plant with necrotic leaves after attempted FIM

gomicao

Time Travel
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Papaya Cake
-Problem: Plant is a bit droopy and its older lower leaves are becoming spotted brown.

-Medium/grow method:
I use a clackamas coots living soil recipe/amendments from KIS Organics:
1/3rd Medium Perlite,
1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss
1/6 Malibu Compost
1/6 Wiggle Worm Pure Worm Castings
Malted Barley
Crustacean Meal
Kelp Meal
Neem Cake
Karanja Cake
Basalt
Gypsum
Oyster Shell Flour

A solo cup sized area in the center of a 10 gallon pot that I planted the germinated seed is just 1/3 perlite, sphagnum moss, wormcastings. The soil is re-amended from a photoperiod grow from a year and a half ago. Soil was put in totes with holes drilled in it and stored in my garage and dried out fully, so I wet it with compost tea and added back amendments, mixed it for about 2 weeks until it was no longer heating up before putting it back into pots.

-Feed and supplements used: All I use is water and some ACT, but due to the size of the pots, I have not used any teas yet.

-Water source: I use tap water. I have not been PH testing it (organic soil), but I use a small dash of absorbic acid (vitamin c) and tested a bucket today and it was right around 6.4 to 6.5 and from what I recall from a grow about a year and a half ago the water's alkalinity was low. It is possible the PH was much lower or higher depending on the occasion as I was at first using more absorbic acid than I probably needed in order to dechlorinate.

-Strain and age Magic Melon auto from Humboldt Seed Co, age is about 19 days from sprouting from soil.

-Climate: Temps are around 70 to 78 degrees, RH around 55 to 60%

- Light used: SpiderFarmer SF4000 LED 450w light, around 2 1/2 to 3 feet above pots, 20/4 light cycle.

-Additional info:
Attempted a FIM 5 days ago, you will notice the top new leaves are missing their tips. Needless to say I think I failed. I was attempting to follow this guide: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/faded187-fim-instructional.42169/ But all I did was seem to nip the tips of the new leaves off, and I even took more than was shown in the thread. I am fairly certain the problem started after this. The plant was INCREDIBLY droopy and stressed looking, but as I mention... soil was quite wet for a while.

The moisture stays in the soil for a long time because the tiny plants don't drink much or anything. This was obviously a mistake to use 10 gallon pots, especially to plant germinated seeds in and almost certainly led to some over watering as I had to water with BTI bits due to a fungus gnat issue until they and their larva were wiped out. I have another plant a week younger than the Magic Melon (Sour Apple auto by same company) that seems to be mostly doing just fine I will share pics of in a second post. It has a slight leaf cupping starting though.

A 3rd pot I had I attempted two different seedlings in of different strains. Both died from what looked to be dampening off. I think this was possibly due to the fungus gnat problem. However I also initially used small clear solo cups in the first week as humidity domes which turned out to be a horrible idea and some form of fungus/mold/mildew killed the first of the two seedlings, this plant (the Magic Melon) didn't seem to care one bit though. I removed the cups and foolishly planted a second seed in the same pot as the first dead seedling and though it initially seemed healthy, its cotyledons died and it stunted with only two small true leaves. I trashed it and removed the pot feeling its soil needs trashed or sterilized somehow.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This is the Sour Apple in the same mix of soil, same watering, same space, same initial pest issue. Just one week younger than the Magic Melon. Keep in mind I have not watered in about 4 days. Pots still pretty heavy and soil still moist an inch or two down. You can see the leaf curling a bit in one of the pics. Not sure if this is an early sign of yet another issue coming my way, it finally wants a little water, or if it should be fine.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 25
When you say FIM what do you mean. FIM stands for f*ck i missed, and came about from poor topping sometimes resulting in more branching. It looks to me like you trimmed up some leaves that had some problem spots, cuz from what I can see it looks like the main growth chute is still fully intact in all these pictures.

As far as the spots on the leaves seems to be a possible toxicity problem in the soil, where as the big splotches could be from water that sat on the leaves. 10 gallon pots arent the problem though, I grew in 10s and watering was my issue, it was always too much or 2 little. That could be 90% of your issue, I was always told to water when pots are about 50% of their freshly FULLY watered weight. 10s could be a bit much for an auto but as long as you manage them it shouldnt be an issue.

In regards to your light, do you know exactly how much light your plants are getting? Its probably not an issue just wondering.

Last edited:
When you say FIM what do you mean. FIM stands for f*ck i missed, and came about from poor topping sometimes resulting in more branching. It looks to me like you trimmed up some leaves that had some problem spots, cuz from what I can see it looks like the main growth chute is still fully intact in all these pictures.

As far as the spots on the leaves seems to be a possible toxicity problem in the soil, where as the big splotches could be from water that sat on the leaves. 10 gallon pots arent the problem though, I grew in 10s and watering was my issue, it was always too much or 2 little. That could be 90% of your issue, I was always told to water when pots are about 50% of their freshly FULLY watered weight. 10s could be a bit much for an auto but as long as you manage them it shouldnt be an issue.

In regards to your light, do you know exactly how much light your plants are getting? Its probably not an issue just wondering.
Also now that I read this in more detail you sure loaded up your soil with some heavy ferts, might do good to just run some plain ph spring water through em.

Back