OLD REVIEWS Zamaldelica Express by Night Owl - Strain Review

low_and_slow

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
Journal here

SeedBank - DC Seed Exchange

Strain - Zamaldelica Express Autoflower (F4 Feminized)

Did it autoflower? Yes!

Growing Medium - 50/50 coco coir and vermiculite

Fertigation - General Hydroponics Flora Trio, 2-3x daily in flower

Light - (2) AutoCobs 3500k pendant-style lights with Angelina reflectors, 18/6. Finished for 13 days under an HLG 135w RspecV2 quantum board.

From seed to harvest date - 72 from first true leaves, 82 from seeds in water

Yield - Purple plant on the left (67g in jars) Taller plan on the right (57g in jars)

High/Effect Duration:

Purple pheno was harvested a few days earlier than the plant on the right, so my only reports are on a couple of hits of the one plant. Fast onset, solid forehead pressure and pleasant 'swollen behind the eyes' feeling. Not much below the shoulders, a little racy on the heartbeat but no body buzz. Dissociative headspace, disorganized and confusing, I can imagine being 'in a totally different plane' if I close my eyes and forget about my body. In that sense, it's not so much a body buzz as a body disconnection. Good for dark, trancelike meditation, but perhaps uncomfortable for walks in nature or out in public. Very twitch inducing, but in a numb sort of way.

More than a couple of bong rips and your consciousness sort of retreats to the roof of your mouth, leaving your face just staring out at the world without anything behind it. Don't sit down unless you plan to stay down.

Music, movies, massage, sleep, meditation, a bath. This would be great weed to combine with psilocybin.

BAG APPEAL: *****

Bright orange hairs on dense foxtaily purple buds, covered in resin. Insane.

THE GROWTH: *****

Easy to grow, great for LST in a small space. They were hungry, I thought "oh better go easy they're these sativa autoflowers." Wrong. Big time P and K feeders, full-strength photo food for sure in mid flower.

I would not top these, the main colas were the biggest and best buds, even though they were trained down and below some of the lowers that overgrew them. If it was just all lowers, it'd be less impressive. The one on the right self-topped, it grew straight up about 5 nodes an then just forked and grew 2 mains; I could have done a better job on tie-down, and if I had I think the yield would have been higher on the right.

I had to shuffle some veg/bloom spaces around and put her under my QB for the last 2 weeks, that didn't help things. This is a strain you should taper the light back during the end of life. I would play around with fewer hours but high intensity, or leave her under veg-hours but dial back the intensity at the dimmer (or raise the light). I thought I'd PAR her to death, and I ended up with 1 or 2 baby nanners on lefty the day I decided to harvest. They were maybe 1 or 2 days old tops, probably a sign that getting hammered with light under 18/6 wasn't what they needed in their final days of flower.

Overall, this strain outperformed others I've grown in a similar style in terms of grams per square foot. I was able to see 40g/sqft from these 2 plants under approx 110w of COB lighting through most of the grow, so really pleased with the results there.

THE SMELL: *****

Honestly some of the best weed I've ever smelled. I think everything breaks down into Floral, Fruity, Fuel, and Earth, and then you get subset categories from there. In that sense, this is a Floral-fruity varietal. Strong smell of tropical fruit in the jar, think artificial flavored gummies (tropical variety). The sort of tropical smell that makes you wonder if it's from a lotion or something, or an actual food. Then right behind that is the best sour-blueberry smell you'll ever get off weed, just a true pure ripe-blueberry scent.

That said...the smoke is not fruity, it definitely comes in strong on what I call "night plant" smells, like jasmine and clematis with a hint of rose. It reminds me a lot of Flonase nasal spray in that regard, a strong floral scent that lives on the oily-sweet side of flowers. The way the smell is sweeter than the smoke is super pleasant; I often find sweet smells that translate into the smoke gummy and tarry, actually kind of nasty to smoke beyond one or two hits. This is much smoother and more on the hazey woody side of flora, so it doesn't have that cough-inducing super fruit taste you get in other hybrids.

THE SMOKE: ****

I guess, see above? haha. I'm deducting 1 star here because by the end of a joint the smoke was pretty much burnt out. I try to reserve 5 stars for something that tastes better on the last hit of the join than on the first, and those are extraordinarily rare.

THE HIGH: ****
Minus 1 star because it's not exactly what I want in an all-the-time smoke. For me, a 5 star is like the ice-water of weed, something you just NEED to have all the time. 4 is great smoke to have and experience, the real joy of growing things from seed is to see varieties you'll never get otherwise, and this is a MUST for those out there to have something unique in their jars. If you're looking for something that smells novel, unlike a lot of the other stuff out there right now, you should put this at the very top of your list. As a treat for the nose, this is 10/10 stuff. As an all-around strain, I'd call it an 8 and I'd like to grow her again, but probably not in the very very near future. Not one of those ones that you immediately go pop another bean, but definitely one I'm going to ration carefully while I have it in jars.

I grew fems in this case, but I think I'd be more excited to grow some regs next time and put the male pollen on a photoperiod. This is the kind of terp profile and growth pattern you definitely want to spread into the modern gene pool.

PXL_20210530_170301090.jpg
PXL_20210530_170234367.jpg
PXL_20210530_170239818.jpg
PXL_20210530_170034764.jpg

Lovely Review! I kinda felt similar about her, she was a bit much for daily consumption.

For me, a 5 star is like the ice-water of weed, something you just NEED to have all the time.

May I ask what are your some of 5 star autos for smoke and what specifically makes them 5 star to you? Thank you!

Hey @low_and_slow I have a question for ya if you don't mind...I noticed your medium was coco and vermiculite. I've been scouring for info on using vermiculite instead of perlite in coco but info is scarce that I can find. Any tips or just a general idea if it works would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Hey @low_and_slow I have a question for ya if you don't mind...I noticed your medium was coco and vermiculite. I've been scouring for info on using vermiculite instead of perlite in coco but info is scarce that I can find. Any tips or just a general idea if it works would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Hey there, been away for a bit. It works great! I have had a hard time finding coco and verm locally lately, so I'm moving over to a bale of promixHP I got cheap.

I'm going to finish out the promix with the general hydroponics nutes, then make a build-a-soil coots kit with plain peat. That will involve mostly vermiculite as the aeration, I'm thinking 50/50 peat/verm and then adding in a meaningful amount of homemade compost since I have a thriving pile at the moment.

Back