Moon Shrooms: Growing Psilocybin Mushrooms with TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler

User of Advanced Lunar Technology
Reaction score
Welcome Earthlings, to the newest thread from here on the moon. As we are highly advanced, moonijuana alone cannot satisfy all our needs. So, the latest addition to the moon's lunar grow rooms are moon shrooms!

Unlike with my autoflower grows, this will be an ongoing thread where I detail my efforts to grow more knowledgeable about both mycology and tripping lunar balls on the fruits of my efforts. I'll probably be adding some culinary mushrooms to the mix as well. I'm very excited. Down the line I might delve into more advanced efforts in a separate thread, so I'll keep you all posted as that develops.

Step 1 in growing mushrooms is acquiring the spores. I had some leftover from an earlier botched attempt, but they were misplaced during a move. Thankfully, I got some good tips from friendly types here on the forum on how and where to get more. I'm strapped for cash so it was only one syringe of them that arrived today. I'm a bit fuzzy on the night in question, but I'm like 90% sure these are good old fashioned Psilocybe cubensis. I can't remember what region but it really doesn't matter.

TgFnHV3.jpg

Ah, there they are. Perfect. As for the culinary ones, I'm strongly tempted to just buy some damn cooking mushrooms (portobella, white button, and shitakes to start), and collect spore prints from them onto sterile foil, then make my own syringes.

Anyway, going to spend some time prepping supplies. Next post tomorrow the journey begins with: making a liquid culture!

EDIT: This thread will be moderately pic heavy and definitely text heavy. I want to be thorough for two reasons: one is to let more experienced mycologists step in and offer advice or commentary when they see what I'm up to and feel it's needed; the second reason is to help other newbies to the hobby follow along with clear, easily understood instructions. I always hate when a tutorial brushes over some steps with the assumption you've already figured out simpler parts. To me, a tutorial should assume you know NOTHING and hold your hand through every tiny step along the way, and I can judge for myself what parts can be skimmed and what parts need thorough reading.

Last edited:
Okay, today we begin the process of turning spores into liquid culture.

Why liquid culture? Can't you just use the spores?

Liquid culture is a bit more work than the simple, newbie friendly PF/BRF Tek with spores, but it really pays for itself in spades. Firstly, converting spores to liquid culture results in a much more massive supply of inoculate for your cakes or whatever you plan to grow shrooms on. A single CC of spores can easily make a half liter of LC after a few weeks, and that half liter can be used to create dozens of cakes! So right off the bat a $15-$20 US syringe that's good for maybe 10 cakes at best (if you have a steady hand and perfect distribution) can be stretched to over 10 times that amount. We're talking pennies a cake instead of dollars!

Second, while it may seem like more work up front it's actually more newbie friendly in the long run. If you're like me, you DON'T have all the nifty gadgets and gizmos the big dogs have: stuff like a filter hood to provide sterile airflow, tyvek sleeves, a massive and well made glove box, and so on. When growing shrooms sterile environments are a must: the cleaner the better, and that's because of how easily contamination can ruin the cake and the grow. Liquid culture, however, is already live mycelium instead of dormant spores, so it's ready to grow immediately when it hits the cake; that means it'll colonize your cake MUCH faster, decreasing the wait between inoculation and birthing of the cake. It's also hardier, so less likely to fall victim to any contaminants or bacterial infections once inoculated, meaning there's a lower chance of contamination when using LC properly (this doesn't mean we'll be doing our work while covered in filth with cats running along the counter and a ceiling fan overhead blowing dust and God-knows-what about, but it helps if you can't afford more than a surgical mask and latex gloves).

Sounds great, right? All pros and no cons? Well, there is ONE con: spores in a syringe are dormant, shelf-stable (you can store them at room temp in a drawer), and practically immortal. They don't go bad in any reasonable length of time if properly prepared, while LC is alive and can't be reliably stored in refrigeration much longer than a year. I know that may not be most people's biggest concern, but it IS a con when comparing and thus worth mentioning up front (also, if you can't store a mysterious jar of cloudy liquid in your fridge you need to consider that factor; syringes can be stashed anywhere and thus are superior for stealth purposes).

So, enough about that babbling, let's get on to step one: prepping the jars. I'll be using a single quart jar (as I bought a freakin' dozen for bud storage and don't need that many), which I'd recommend to you as well. You can go larger or smaller by scaling the recipe, though it gets a lot harder to go with bigger jars (you'd be better off doing four quart jars than a gallon behemoth).

You'll start by putting a smallish hole in the lid; you can use a drill or, if you're desperate, a hammer and nail to punch one. It needs to be big enough for your needle to get through, but not too much bigger. I used a 1/4" drill bit because it's all I had, and that's about as big as you want to go. This will become your injection site.
sMLisHr.jpg

Next, you're going to need some silicone sealant; you can get this stuff at any hardware store or your local Ball-Mart. They offer both clear and opaque; clear works better for seeing where your needle is going, but both will work fine (just make sure if you got the opaque stuff like I did you don't jab the needle in quickly lest you blunt or damage it). Put a generous blob on either side of the hole, like so:
ndtsxs9.jpg

Next, take something like a toothpick and use it to spread the sealant around the hole: you want it about a centimeter or 1/8" thick disk that goes a decent bit beyond the edge of the hole you drilled on both sides. This ensures that it will form a complete, tight seal around the drill site. This is your finished injection site; the silicone will self-heal when the needle is removed, preventing contamination and making it easier to handle the jar without risk.
MVzPicP.jpg

Finally, it needs to dry and harden. You're going to need to give EVERYTHING a good washing before we start mixing things up, and that means the silicone needs to be good and dry first. I set mine on top of the rings that come with the lid, and let them sit out for a few hours minimum. My particular silicone is waterproof in 30 minutes, but I like to be extra certain it's dry. Ideally you can let it sit for 24 hours (at which point it will be fully cured and hardened), but that isn't completely neccessary. Make sure to check the directions on the tube you bought; it will say how long until it's watertight and how long until fully dry, and you can judge from there how long to wait (longer is always better; patience is key when making shrooms).
KMlRAKO.jpg

Next post will be about mixing the ingredients for your liquid culture, sterilizing everything, and adding your spores.

NOTE: I'll provide all measurements in Metric in this thread, with US measurements when feasible. Cannabis cultivation is basically traditional gardening, but mycology work is basically lab work, and requires precision and care. The metric system is superior for mycology, so I'd recommend either learning it, or at least buying measuring supplies with metric measures and just paying attention.

Both myself and another member by the name of Pmind have some experience with cultivating P.cubensis. In my opinion a liquid culture is easier to start from a piece of flesh taken directly from a fresh shroom's inner stem, which makes a clone for you, similar to selecting your biggest lady to clone from if your doing photos. The PFTek was a success the first time for me. If you haven't already found the shroomery's website I suggest you take a look, as a lot of the conventional wisdom has changed since i was growing those magical little devils. Also Pmind has more expirence than myself and I'm sure he would be happy to give you any pointers he can. Best of luck with your newest adventure, I hope you are successful with your culture because your right its far easier to colonize some substrate with an L/C.

I'm a long time lurker at Shroomery and Growery, and a fair amount of the information I'll be posting here was sifted from among the dozens of threads there. My only gripe is too many of the threads I found glossed over too many details with the understanding the reader would know what they were talking about because of how many OLDER threads covered those points.

Where appropriate, I'll post credit and links to threads or the like that. As for clones from the stem, we'll get to that in good time. This is kind of a "So you just got some shroom spores and want to get started, eh?" journey. Take my hand, Earth growers, and together we'll learn how to grow mushrooms from start to finish.

Alright, next step is making BRF cakes and a jar of nutrient-rich water for your LC to grow in. See, I've only got the one syringe, which I'll need for extracting LC to go into the cakes, which means I'll need to empty it out. I'm going to go with a few small cakes for the initial run with spores, that way I'm not just squirting a crapload more into these jars than needed. Plus, it'll give me a chance to see if my cleaning techniques have improved: last time I did a run of 8, 3 of which were contaminated and the other 5 started to grow, but IRL mishaps resulted in me harvesting barely 3g dry out of the entire run (not for lack of growth on their part).

BRF? PF Tek?

Yeah, I don't know all the lingo either. "Tek" is just a shorthand for "technique", and it's used for any method to produce...well, anything in mycology. You'll see it a lot working with shrooms. BRF is short for "Brown Rice Flour", and the PF Tek is an old school reliable method for quickly and easily growing shrooms with minimal equipment and effort. It's usually called the BRF/PF Tek these days to clarify. Don't be fooled by veterans griping about how awful the PF Tek is and such; there are definitely better methods, but the PF Tek is a pretty foolproof newbie Tek. It's recommended for newbies not because of its massive yields or flawless contamination rates, but because if you've got a handful of mason jars, aluminum foil, a pot, some flour and vermiculite, and spores, you can get mushrooms reliably with this method, every time. It's not perfect but it IS idiot proof and requires minimal investment (odds are just by living life you've already got or can easily acquire everything you need for it cheaply).

I'm not going to bother holding your hand on it, because a much better grower already has. Here's the link to mushroom growing guru Roger Rabbit's video on the BRF/PF Tek. It's not HD, but it's free and incredibly thorough. Watch all four parts, start to finish, and follow his directions to the letter (he's VERY clear on what to do and how, and shows every step of the process), and you'll be fine.

www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

I personally bought his entire video collection. It's 9 bucks for the files (or you can get it on DVD, but if you're web savvy enough to be here you should be able to handle downloading an mp4 collection and watching it on your computer) in HD quality and the entire series goes into insanely detailed depth on all manner of advanced methods for improving your work. Most of it is far beyond what you'll need now, which is why he generously offers the entire section on BRF/PF Tek for free, to get you started without a headache. Cool dude, really.

Okay, couple quick questions I had answered:

1. Can you use anything besides Brown Rice Flour? Yes. Dark Rye flour is an alternative you'll find at most healthy places, like Wholly Foods (where you can USUALLY find brown rice flour, but they were out last time I went). You can also buy hulled millet or brown rice and grind it into a powder in a blender or coffee grinder. That's all it is. MOST whole, unbleached and minimally processed grains will work for this, but try to stick to Dark Rye or Brown Rice for your first runs. They've received the most positive remarks from people I've read working with them, and your first grow is no time for experiments.

2. Micropore Tape? Where do I get this? This is really just there to provide an additional barrier against outside contaminants, so it's not critical you get PRECISELY the right brand or type. It's also called "paper tape", and you can usually find it in any drug store or even the pharmacy section at Ball-Mart. Look for packaging that calls it paper tape, or touts how it's formulated "for delicate/sensitive skin". I think he even says you can use masking tape, which you can get at any office supply store.

3. What kind of jars are those? Those are, and please pay attention because this matters, wide mouth half-pint canning jars. You may have a tricky time tracking these down, unfortunately. I found mine at a True Blue Values store near my home, but you can also order them online. They MUST be wide-mouth so you can get the cake out after it's done. If the jar narrows or tapers, it won't work, PERIOD. You'll tear it up trying to birth the cake, don't waste your spores. Buy some online from amazon (linky: click here for the jars you want!), wait for them to arrive. Do it, dammit.

4. I know you say that this stuff matters, but I was thinking of making some substitutions... Watch this video.

Congratulations! You're on your way to growing your first batch, and I will be tomorrow (didn't have time to make the cakes today after making the LC, so that will be a first-thing-tomorrow project). On to the LC!

Making LC, Step 2: Making the Liquid

Your mycelium will need a diluted sugar-water solution to feed and grow in, and that's what we'll be prepping next. You should have your lids prepped and ready from the last step, silicone dry and hard (well, not literally hard; after it's done drying it will have a rubbery feel to it, but it will spring back immediately after you stop pressing it).

Give your jars and lids a wash with dish soap and water, make sure they're clean. Don't scrub with anything scratchy like steel wool; a basic sponge or sponge with scrubbing side will do fine, and be gentle around the silicone so you don't start prying it up. You're just trying to wash away any dirt, debris, hair, or dust that's accumulated on the jars and lids so you have clean glass and metal. Next rinse them off and let air dry.

Now, gather your supplies. Here's what you'll need, ideally:
AIkTs96.jpg

1. Jar and lid, cleaned and prepped (unlike with the rice flour cakes, these jars can be tapered).
2. Honey (you can also use light or extra light dry malt extract, but that might require finding a brewing store) DO NOT use granulated white sugar!
3. Measuring cup with metric ml lines, ideally a 2 cup/500ml pyrex cup
4. Measuring spoons with metric marks; these are a set of US standard spoons with their metric measures on them.
5. Small measuring cup with ml lines that measures more precisely (it should measure every 10 or 5ml MINIMUM). Precision is vital here, so if you find one that is done to 1ml lines spring for it. It doesn't need to be much bigger than 100ml total, and can probably be as small as 50ml and still be effective.
6. Some sort of steel wire, extra paper clips, bits of steel rod or ball bearings...really anything small and metallic that will be affected by a magnet will do. If you don't have any, you can get away with a few small rocks, glass beads, or pieces of broken glass or the like.
7. Aluminum foil (not pictured; don't play that game, you know what it is)

Does it matter what sugar I use? Do I -have- to get honey or malt extract?
It absolutely does matter. The mycelium needs more than sugar alone to thrive, so the options listed here provide other trace nutrients that fit the bill. Extra light malt extract is the choice of the pros, but it's not something you find at your local grocer. You can get it at most brewing hobby stores (light extract will work in a pinch if they don't have extra light), but if you're like me and don't have one reasonably close, honey will work just fine too. Honey is fine as long as it's organic or unfiltered (Farmer's markets are a GREAT source for honey if you're lucky enough to have someone there selling it from their own hives, it'll be superior even to organic store-bought honey AND taste better too!).

Organic honey is too expensive, you say? Buy a small jar. Reminder:

Okay, now we're ready to work! So, to feed your mycelium in the LC, you need a solution that's ~4% sugar by weight (it can be a tiny bit off, and less is better because too much sugar will act as a preservative and kill the mycelium). Water is the same volume as weight (1cc water = 1ml water = 1g water), but sugar sources are trickier. The weights for different sugars vary, so we'll go with the two easiest. Here's a simple recipe for quart jars; to use it in larger or smaller jars, just divide or multiply as needed (i.e., two pints in a quart, so divide in half if using pint jars).
1. Honey: 584ml water, 16ml honey
2. Malt Extract (light or extra light only): 600ml water, 38ml malt extract (about 2 1/2 Tablespoons)

Hey, that sounds kind of annoying to measure, right? Honey sticking to your spoons or glass, and those odd numbers? Well, that's why we have two measuring cups! Use the big one to get all but the last hundred ml of water measured out if you're doing honey (the malt recipe is way simpler to follow, even with US standard measures). Now, you need 84ml of water, 16 of honey to finish it up. Good thing I told you to get a glass measure that goes to 100! Squirt about 16ml of honey into the jar (if yours is like mine and goes from 10 or 15 to 20 you'll need to eyeball it, but just be cautious and err on the lower side if you must), then add water slowly to bring the water line to 100ml. The honey is heavier than the water, so it will stay on the bottom. Like this:
gvzc5Uj.jpg

This picture is a shitty angle and has some serious refraction issues, so it looks like there's 40ml in there, but it's really JUST above the 30ml mark. I'm doing two jars so I doubled the recipe and did 32ml of honey instead. Now, take your jar and pop it in the microwave for like 20 seconds, just enough to make it a tiny bit warm (NOT hot, so go 5 seconds at a time if you must). Heating it up will make the honey dissolve into the water super easy: stir well and you'll have honey-water you can pour easily into your jar, no mess or fuss!

Groovy, right? We've got our jars filled with diluted honey solution (or malt extract for those of you high rollers who went all out), next let's toss in those little things we mentioned earlier: the bits of metal wire, paper clip, or rocks/broken glass/beads. These will be used to shred the mycelium as it grows, so it won't form a solid mass that you can't suck up into a syringe. By shredding it into smaller pieces it will fit inside the needle and not clog it. I used a length of metal wire and just snipped off some 1/2" long pieces, two or three per jar. Just chuck 'em on in to the solution (give them a wash first if they're dirty, especially if you're going with rocks or broken glass).
N0WTZLF.jpg

Just a fair warning: you'll need a magnetic stirrer if you go with the metal options, but I'll show you soon how to MacGuyver up a cheap rig for minimal cash in a post or two. If you're ABSOLUTELY too broke to buy ANYTHING else after this step of prep, go with the glass or rocks or whatever; you'll need to shake the jar yourself but with no outside air contact it should be safe. The stirrer is more thorough though, and works better. Don't bother searching online for one: even the cheapest lab ones are $75 US. We'll be assembling ours from some odd bits and pieces, including a magnet, PC fan, and whatever we can find to finish the job.

Now we need to seal and sterilize them so the spores will have a sterile environment to grow in. Put the lids on rubber side up (most canning lids have a white bottom where the rubber gasket is, and a metal top), so it won't be so hard to open when the time comes. It'll seal just fine. Next, screw on the metal ring LOOSELY. Just enough so if you try to pull it upwards it won't come off, but it still is wobbly and loose around the threads. If you screw it on tightly it'll form a vacuum inside the jar after it's sanitized and as soon as you push the needle through the silicone, the pressure difference will suck your spores completely or mostly out. You don't want that, so by leaving it loose the pressure will equalize before you tighten it. Here's what they should look like by now:
Yj8d6e3.jpg

Next, tear off a square of aluminum foil and cover the lids, crimping it tightly under where the lid meets the jar. You're trying to prevent ANY water or steam from seeping into your not-quite-tightly-covered jars and ruining the water-sugar ratio we worked so hard to achieve earlier. Plus, this will make it easy to seal them tightly without contaminating them with dirty hands (don't be offended; unless your hands are in latex surgical gloves and you just wiped those gloves down with alcohol, they're not clean enough for mycology work). Here's how they'll look now:
o9bU3lr.jpg

Now, we'll boil them or pressure cook them to sterilize everything inside. If you have a pressure cooker, put the canning rack in the bottom and add some water (just enough to cover the rack), then slowly bring the pressure up to 14psi (some only go to 11 or 12, that will be fine too, but no lower) and cook for 20 minutes. If you have an electric one, just find a setting with the pressure you need and set it to cook for 20 minutes.

Of course, I'm assuming you either don't have one or it's too small for a big jar. That's fine, boiling these works just fine too. Put them in a pot with some kind of barrier between the jars and the bottom of the pot, like shown in the BRF/PF Tek video earlier. I personally have a pot with a perforated inset for steaming and cooking pasta, so I use that. Fill the pot with enough water to reach halfway up the jars, then cover with a lid. Put them on the stove and bring the water to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to maintain a steady boil and boil them for 20 minutes. Start the timer AFTER a rolling boil is achieved, no earlier, and keep the lid on for the entire 20 minutes, no peeking! You need to trap that steam to ensure that the entire jar and its solution is heated thoroughly so absolutely EVERYTHING inside is killed, leaving pure sugar water.
oflaTQN.jpg

Do NOT cook longer than 20-25 minutes, especially if using honey!! Too much time will cause the sugar to caramelize, which will ruin the solution the more caramelized it is. If you cooked it in a pressure cooker, let the steam out after time is up and let them gradually cool for a few minutes until they're cool enough to handle with a towel (but still piping hot to the touch). If you boiled them, move the pot off the heat and leave the lid on and let them cool enough to be grabbed with a towel but still very very hot.

Once you can manage to pull them out with a towel, grip the lid and foil cover and twist until the lid is tightly on the jar. Now you can take off the foil cover and set the jar somewhere room temperature to cool gradually (do NOT chill, the carryover heat will continue to keep the solution sterile in case anything survived or got sucked in by the pressure equalizing before you tightened the lids). It should take a few hours minimum, but once the jars are no longer warm to the touch you're ready for injection! We'll cover that in the next post as mine are still a teeny bit warm. Remember, be patient: if the solution is too warm it will kill the spores, and your body temperature is nearly 100F. That means if it feels even a little bit warm it's over 100 degrees inside (glass is an insulator, which means it conducts heat poorly; the liquid is probably quite a bit hotter than the glass feels, and it cools slowly for the same reason). Most guides recommend you leave the jars at least 12 hours before inoculating to be safe, and I see no reason to hurry it up. With some things they say you can have it done fast or done right, but with mushrooms there is no "done fast", just done right.

As a prison guard once told me when I was locked up for possession, "Patience is the key to all things in life". It's very true and applicable here.

Special thanks to this FAQ from shroomery, which I adapted into this tutorial: http://www.shroomery.org/9145/Liquid-Culture-Basics

Last edited:
Dude awesome!! You've done a fair bit of reading and it shows.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your efforts!

There's one thing I was instantly reminded, though. When you start sucking up the LC, the jar replaces the lost volume with air. For this reason there is usually a second hole that lets the air through tyvek for example, which scrubs out contaminants.

EDIT: Checked here for reference, the way you're doing it should be fine. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So, I'm the paranoid type when it comes to shrooms and contaminants. I held off on colonizing my jars of LC base all weekend because I wanted to make DAMN certain they were sterile.

Well, here we are and the liquid is still clear and beautiful. Glorious. Time to inject the shroom spores! Obviously I'm all about minimizing risks, and that's what we're here for, yes?

So, if you're like me and working with a needle of spores (or other injectables for colonization) there's a couple things you can do to minimize the risk of contamination without even a glovebox. Firstly, you'll want four things: non-porous gloves (I prefer powder-free disposable exam gloves), 91% rubbing (iso) alcohol, a clean set of clothes and skin (take a shower and change into clean clothes; scrubs are ideal, but anything freshly laundered will do), and some anti-viral masks. Do NOT get a painter's mask or a dust mask; those won't do a damn thing about you huffing viruses and bacteria all over your stuff. Here's a link to see what I mean: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/curad-antiviral-facemasks-10-masks/ID=prod6068615-product

Those are cheap, disposable masks that will work beautifully for this kind of thing and are readily available at most drug stores, and I've even seem them at Ball-Mart. Firstly, make sure the area you intend to work is clean. I choose my kitchen because the tile floors and non-porous counters are easy to scrub clean and clear out. Next, turn off anything in your home that can stir up the air: AC, fans, anything. You want the air as still as possible if it isn't sterile air to minimize airborne contaminants being flung onto your jars or needle. Go ahead and put on your mask and glove up, then rub your gloves down with rubbing alcohol to sterilize them. Wipe the lids clean with alcohol (I use a sterile gauze pad just to be safe), then the needle. Quickly insert the needle into the jar and inoculate. Clean the needle again between jars. I'm uncertain of how long it takes to cool the needle from flame-sterilizing (which is better) so it won't ruin your silicone seal, so I just move fast and clean it with alcohol every time. It's not ideal, but then again we're working on the cheap so most of our procedures are about how to minimize risk rather than eliminate it. Eliminating risk involves bulky and often expensive equipment that may be out of your budget (or impossible to keep if stealth is a concern).

Now we play the waiting game as the spores spread and multiply. I've got to round up some supplies this week to make a stirrer and fruiting chamber, then I'll post guides walking you through how to make them both.

Welcome back, shroom fans! At this point if you're like me you're wondering how you can tell whether this is working or if you just have a jar of weak-ass sugar water for nothing. Well, today was the first day I truly noticed the effects of the spores growing into LC. You'll begin to see murky, cloudy stuff at the bottom of your jar. That's the beginnings of the mycelium sprouting and spreading. Here's a couple pics from my jar:

asl2eHs.jpg

MulfhTA.jpg

Make sure you give your jar a good shake to break those strands up once you see it start growing in! It's been insanely hectic around here, so I didn't have time to whip up my homemade stirrer just yet. Apologies all around; hopefully you aren't following along with me post by post. Even if you have, you can still give it a good shaking without the stirrer to break up the mycelium. The method we've done, with no tyvek for air exchange, means that the jar is completely sealed from the outside, so shaking it up won't contaminate it.

I haven't bothered to go into how to make a tyvek lid for gas exchange because it's a bit more involved and tedious, and it's also unnecessary. Several growers (all better than I) who I've been reading and following all say that if you leave the jar as empty as I have in making LC, there's plenty of gas already inside for the mycelium to grow on its own. Since we are trying to minimize contamination risks, I figured why take any chances? Losing the tyvek for air exchange not only eliminates the chance of moisture hitting the tyvek and wicking contaminants inwards, it also allows us to mix this stuff up on the cheap.

Anyway, once you see growth you're probably golden. There's always a risk your LC is contaminated by unfriendly molds, but that's something we'll check once its time to inoculate a cake. At this point you're going to want to mix it up once a day to keep those strands separate and broken (so they'll be easily drawn into a syringe), and just give it time to grow and spread through the jar. We're getting close to action time!

Back