New Grower 1st grow. Outdoor Organic. Advice.

Reaction score
Hi. New to forums, new to cultivation. I have some backyard gardening experience. I am posting some pics from my first grow. Started with a Canuk Seeds Auto NL. She is at the end of the second week. Water is well TDS:90 pH:7.0 Started in 5 gal fabric pot with soil consisting of 45% coir and 45% compost. She had a couple days of extreme heat too early in life but has recovered nicely. I am seeing some type of leaf issue on the early leaves. I have been looking at deficiency pics and pest pics but cant seem to narrow it down. Maybe magnesium deficiency or earlier thripe damage?

Last night I added the anchor point at the lower stem for LST. Early this morning i bent the top over and by afternoon it was pointing straight back up. For the last week I fed fish emulsion at 1/4 strength in 1/2 gal h2o twice . Also 1 compost tea / Garrett Juice foliar and soil feeding early last week. Next week supposed to be below 90F so I think it is ok in full sun.
As of now my feeding will consist of Fish emulsion, seaweed, high brix molasses 2-3X/week and compost tea foliar/soil feeding 1x/week.
Should I proactively apply neam oil or wait untill the first signs of pests?
How about epsom salts? Can I proactivly add some to feedings or wait to see mag deficiency
Any tips going into week three from the more experienced?

Janx

Attachments

• DSCN0036.JPG
    DSCN0036.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0045.JPG
    DSCN0045.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0048.JPG
    DSCN0048.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0050.JPG
    DSCN0050.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0038.JPG
    DSCN0038.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0034.JPG
    DSCN0034.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi there and welcome to AFN! Plant looks good mate, nice job so far :thumbsup:....That's an interesting soil type mix you're using there :smoking:.....I wouldn't be to stressed over the damage in the pics it looks about normal for an outdoor lass! I wouldn't use any neem oil unless I had to, also with the Epsom salts you can add it at 1 teaspoon per gallon and all should be good :d5:.

So the lst seemed to have immediate results as the lowest branches started to leave the main stem ~.5in. This morning i hooked it at the next internode and tied it down? Is this too much too fast? Its on day 16.
I have a couple more questions.
At each node is ther always a fan leaf and a branch?
I had some type of small critter munch out on a couple of the the oldest leaves. In pics. Any clues as to what it might be? Seems to be a night time attack.
Can I trim these lowest fan leaves? They have 3 fingers not five like the newer ones. And they are the ones with the damage. Plus I got a new pair of fiskars micro trimmers and am dieing to use them.

thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0064_LI.jpg
    DSCN0064_LI.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0058.JPG
    DSCN0058.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 119
@thegreenbandit, Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions trimming fab leaves or the amount of LST? See above

Hey bud, I'm not a huge fan of defoliation until after the stretch has stopped! But if you really want to tryout your new fiskers taking off the lowest set of leaves isn't going to cause any major problems :d5:.....I also wouldn't be overly concerned about the minor bug damage on them, that's just part of growing outdoors :thumbsup:....hmm I'm hopeless at lst but to me that looks like it should! :smoking:

You need to find that caterpillar and remove it or kill it otherwise it will keep eating your leaves little bit on each leaf. I use 7 it protects from a lot of pest that's not harmful to fruits and vegetables.

@the green bandit. Thanks. I found the culprit. I did trim two small leaves that were pest damaged. It was very minimal. But I know from experience that pest problems can usually be easily dealt with early on and quick detection is the key. What do you mean by hopeless on lst? Is there tips you might offer? This early on it has been fairl easy to train because it’s so flexible.

@dickfitzwell Thanks. I got up at 5:30amb to find it. And find it I did.
striped garden catapiller moth larva https://bugguide.net/node/view/30010.
And it bled cannabis green...

I have some kale plants that the cabbage caterpillars love. I use BT on them. BT should be ok here also, from what I’ve read. Any experience?

my buddy just had to whip out his shop vac to get rid of gnats. but you gotta do prevention tactics if you wanna stay ahead of it.

What do you mean by hopeless on lst?
I meant I'm not very good at it sometimes :haha:.
. BT should be ok here also, from what I’ve read. Any experienc
BT should be fine to use buddy :thumbsup:....I have terrible trouble with catterpillers here at times and use it quite often :headbang:
Check out this guide bud, it was written by a fantastic outdoor grower and covers just about everything needed to know to grow great herb outdoors:toke:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/maximizing-outdoor-autos-guide-to-growing-under-the-sun.56402/

damn, why oh why am i alwayz late to theze NL partiez (sigh)...well, nuthin left to do i guess, 'cept to say heya @Janxster and :welcome: to afn! :toke: NL is me all-time fave strain, so i'll def be subbin along :pop: :thumbsup:

ppp & :goodluck:

:420: :greenthumb:

Back