Indoor 7 day seedling, light green and spotty

Reaction score
Hi!

Haven't grown for a while so I'm slowly getting back to it.
Got a question regarding my seedling.
Specs are..

3 gallon pot
Dutch passion auto orange bud
At 7 day from breaking soil.
Biobizz light mix
Nutes, at day 10-14 will be advanced nutrients, tangs new improved schedule.
50% rh
22-27 degrees Celsius.

The soil have had some base nuts in them, as I had to throw a plant that was way too bad and small to keep goin. (removed at day 30 ish, 15 cm high)
I mixed/added new soil to the top for the new seed to get planted in.
It is a a bit stretchy, as I've been using 150w hps to get heat up and probably had it to far away.
Switched it up with 2 autocobs and put the hps (or 2 hps depending on temperatures outside) further away to keep temp but letting the cobs do the most lighting magic.

The seedling seems wierd?
Like.. it was very light green when the leafs came out.
And now it seems a bit "spotty".
I've got another seed, same kind, in another pot, same size but with new unused soil.
That one seems better, more green.

Could it be nutes still in the soil causing it?
I'm gonna start with vodoo juice and sensimyx (as per tangs schedule).
Might the sensimyx help break down the old nutes?

Im not tooo worried as it's so early still. But at the same time.. Now is the critical time for them to grow "proper" as far as Ive understood.
20211209_070938.jpg

Hi, I don't know your problem but I wonder what pH water are you using?

Soil does look dry on top, is it moist below?

can't tell what you are saying but I would only use 100ish ppm nutes for first several waterings, unless you can measure soil ec and keep it at 1.3ish.

If you are planting into used soil that may have nutes, only water for a month or so. Again, to keep soil at 1.3 ec or measure run off ec and try to keep it around 1.3ec. Or if plant shows it wants nutes

Last edited:
Hey!
Yeah the soil was dry, this was before watering.
I might be watering to little though, I'm kinda scared of overwatering them and drowning them when they are so small.
I try to water a little everyday, if the first 2cm of soil is dry.

Regarding ppm and ec..
I don't have anything to measure it and not the ph either. Never needed to before.
Always been fine. No massive yields, but never had issues if not for over/under watering or nute burn.

Ph and the like never been a problem.. I think at least.

What I meant is that I haven't used nutrients yet.
I will follow "tang"s (profile here on the site) schedule for advanced nutrients.

There is only a small amount of it in the soil, 4-5 cm from the top soil is the "old" soil with a small amount of advanced nutrients sensi bloom a+b.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

I have seen mixed results with growers attempting to follow Tang's schedule. I believe in a balanced nutrient regime.

The black spots look like soil particles that have splashed up on the seedling?

:goodluck:

Oohh I've definitely been watering wrong then..
I've only been watering a bit around the plant. Not the entire pot.
Hm. That's probably been the issue with the other ones that I had to throw.
I thought I only should water in a ring around the plant and let the roots search up the water by themselves..

Anyway, I changed my watering earlier today. Watered more but I did not water the whole pot though.
Gonna keep a better eye on the soil and not let it dry out.

Isn't there a high risk for the plants to drown if I water the whole pot (until it runs out, soil stops soaking it) when they are this small? (1 week old)

Hey!
Yeah the soil was dry, this was before watering.
I might be watering to little though, I'm kinda scared of overwatering them and drowning them when they are so small.
I try to water a little everyday, if the first 2cm of soil is dry.

Regarding ppm and ec..
I don't have anything to measure it and not the ph either. Never needed to before.
Always been fine. No massive yields, but never had issues if not for over/under watering or nute burn.

Ph and the like never been a problem.. I think at least.

What I meant is that I haven't used nutrients yet.
I will follow "tang"s (profile here on the site) schedule for advanced nutrients.

There is only a small amount of it in the soil, 4-5 cm from the top soil is the "old" soil with a small amount of advanced nutrients sensi bloom a+b.

pH is a very big deal to plants and for most the ones I grow the acceptable range is pretty small and the ideal range even smaller. Fortunately, just about everything I am growing now thrives at 6.0 pH.

When the pH is good I have never overwatered a plant to the plant it’s not growing well. I water the same way you said as well, watering a giant pot with a tiny plant seems like a waste of water to me and not the problem you are having.

just my opinion though and I’m probably wrong

Yeah, I'm gonna get some ph testing sticks today along with ph down.
Just checked my city's tap water ph, and it's supposed to be around 8.

Can I use any ph down? Like stuff for aquarium and/or pools?

Tried some ph sticks today and my tap water is definitely above 7.x at least. Hard to say exactly on the sticks.
I added a bit of citric acid wich got it down to 6.x.

Now I think I probably over watered

And I was wondering about the light green in the middle of the plant. Not sure if it's just because of it being new, small seedling leaves or something is causing them to be light green.
I'm probably over worried, but I really wanna get it down right this time around.
Added some pictures of the overwater (I think it is at least) "drooping" and the middle light green color.

20211210_201928.jpg20211210_201711.jpg20211210_201901.jpg20211210_201657.jpg20211210_201631.jpg

Tried some ph sticks today and my tap water is definitely above 7.x at least. Hard to say exactly on the sticks.
I added a bit of citric acid wich got it down to 6.x.

Now I think I probably over watered

And I was wondering about the light green in the middle of the plant. Not sure if it's just because of it being new, small seedling leaves or something is causing them to be light green.
I'm probably over worried, but I really wanna get it down right this time around.
Added some pictures of the overwater (I think it is at least) "drooping" and the middle light green color.

View attachment 1395604View attachment 1395605View attachment 1395606View attachment 1395607View attachment 1395608

Doesn't matter what pH you are watering with, the medium/soil needs to be at the correct pH, the water will not change that. I'm still doing testing myself but I believe salt (epsom salts used in gardening cheapest I think, seems to works well), amended into or dissolved into water then mixed into soil is the easiest for a plant already in a pot. I believe wood chips work but take a little time to start leaching to bring down soil ph, other stuff as well.

Make growing medium ~perfect before starting any plants. I haven't done this myself in the past but I do now.

From my rescent testing, not much, it seems like water only effects ~0.1pH for every 1.0pH that it is off. And that was enough for me to not care about it, I used to think water pH will have greater effect.

Oohh I've definitely been watering wrong then..
I've only been watering a bit around the plant. Not the entire pot.
Hm. That's probably been the issue with the other ones that I had to throw.
I thought I only should water in a ring around the plant and let the roots search up the water by themselves..

Anyway, I changed my watering earlier today. Watered more but I did not water the whole pot though.
Gonna keep a better eye on the soil and not let it dry out.

Isn't there a high risk for the plants to drown if I water the whole pot (until it runs out, soil stops soaking it) when they are this small? (1 week old)
Not bashing Tang but there are a lot of moving parts in that regime. I would say unless your using that PH perfect line you need to PH to 5.8-6. Learn the art of watering it is the biggest problem for new growers. That all being said I do not think you should be worrying to much at this point.

Back