Indoor 7 day seedling, light green and spotty

Doesn't matter what pH you are watering with, the medium/soil needs to be at the correct pH, the water will not change that. I'm still doing testing myself but I believe salt (epsom salts used in gardening cheapest I think, seems to works well), amended into or dissolved into water then mixed into soil is the easiest for a plant already in a pot. I believe wood chips work but take a little time to start leaching to bring down soil ph, other stuff as well.

Make growing medium ~perfect before starting any plants. I haven't done this myself in the past but I do now.

From my rescent testing, not much, it seems like water only effects ~0.1pH for every 1.0pH that it is off. And that was enough for me to not care about it, I used to think water pH will have greater effect.
How much effect depends on your medium. Biobizz I am not familiar with as I have never grown in it, but in Coco it makes all the difference in the world due to how much liquid it absorbs. That is why you always water it till runoff with coco.

Not bashing Tang but there are a lot of moving parts in that regime. I would say unless your using that PH perfect line you need to PH to 5.8-6. Learn the art of watering it is the biggest problem for new growers. That all being said I do not think you should be worrying to much at this point.

I have seen people showing signs of poor ph with pH perfect nutes. I would try and get my medium right on 6.0 before starting any plants, regardless of growing medium or nutes being used or anything else. No reason not to make your medium correct and every reason to make it correct.

Now that I have messed up so many plants, I’m actually going to start doing that now.

How much effect depends on your medium. Biobizz I am not familiar with as I have never grown in it, but in Coco it makes all the difference in the world due to how much liquid it absorbs. That is why you always water it till runoff with coco.

I was just doing some testing and 1/2 cup Epsom salts brings a gallon of my ~6.3 pH coco to 5.8 pH.
so long as I use my nutes correctly (not overfeed), I will not want to have runoff or I can wash out my Epsom salts and cause the pH to change.

from what I have noticed, pH’ing water has very little effect on medium’s pH. Pretty sure that’s why they want you to use such low pH water with coco. Coco is right on the edge of being good for cannabis (mine always 6.3-6.4pH), and to water it with 7.0 pH tap will make it bad but water with 5.6pH and it stays okay, maybe over time gets closer to ideal. I haven’t done any long term testing on waters’ pH effects on medium pH

edit to say doing more testing, seems like gypsum is also pretty good to bring pH of soil/medium down. Maybe better option than Epsom

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and information.
A little update..

So I watered them last time at Friday with ph below/at 6.0. Not exact as I'm using ph sticks and not a digital one.

Been checking them several times during the weekend and the leaves have not "peaked up" yet and the soil is still moist under the top layer.
They have looked the same, with the leaves slight droopy.
I've got some yellowing on the leaves.
Mostly visible (at least on the picture) at the top leaf.
They also seem dry (leafs), wich I think I mentioned before?

What I changed since my first post:
*Ph to 6.0-ish water.
*Changed fan to a "softer" blow, so they don't wiggle more than a little.
*raised my autocobs to 30 inches (80ish cm)
*raised the RH to keep it at 55% (from 50%)

They are at day 11, was gonna start nutrients today but the soil is still moist and, like I wrote earlier, leafs haven't peaked up yet.

Attachments

• 20211213_062637.jpg
    20211213_062637.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211213_063404.jpg
    20211213_063404.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
Thanks for all the replies and information.
A little update..

So I watered them last time at Friday with ph below/at 6.0. Not exact as I'm using ph sticks and not a digital one.

Been checking them several times during the weekend and the leaves have not "peaked up" yet and the soil is still moist under the top layer.
They have looked the same, with the leaves slight droopy.
I've got some yellowing on the leaves.
Mostly visible (at least on the picture) at the top leaf.
They also seem dry (leafs), wich I think I mentioned before?

What I changed since my first post:
*Ph to 6.0-ish water.
*Changed fan to a "softer" blow, so they don't wiggle more than a little.
*raised my autocobs to 30 inches (80ish cm)
*raised the RH to keep it at 55% (from 50%)

They are at day 11, was gonna start nutrients today but the soil is still moist and, like I wrote earlier, leafs haven't peaked up yet.

what is the ph of your growing medium? And ec if not organic

Yeah.. I don't know. Don't have anything to check that with.
Do you check it in the runoff?
Just so I know what to buy

I was just doing some testing and 1/2 cup Epsom salts brings a gallon of my ~6.3 pH coco to 5.8 pH.
so long as I use my nutes correctly (not overfeed), I will not want to have runoff or I can wash out my Epsom salts and cause the pH to change.

from what I have noticed, pH’ing water has very little effect on medium’s pH. Pretty sure that’s why they want you to use such low pH water with coco. Coco is right on the edge of being good for cannabis (mine always 6.3-6.4pH), and to water it with 7.0 pH tap will make it bad but water with 5.6pH and it stays okay, maybe over time gets closer to ideal. I haven’t done any long term testing on waters’ pH effects on medium pH

edit to say doing more testing, seems like gypsum is also pretty good to bring pH of soil/medium down. Maybe better option than Epsom
My experience has always been Epsom salt raising the pH… You’re talking regular magnesium sulfate, right?

My experience has always been Epsom salt raising the pH… You’re talking regular magnesium sulfate, right?

Any salt probably lower pH. My first testing was with sea salt and it goes down the same. Gypsum works even better I think. I've seen fast acting elemental sulfur just recently by same people I got my gypsum from, probably also pretty good.

Still though, I think 'dead' tree bark, leaves and branches you can find outside work best.

Im not sure of course, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't feed a little now.
The soil is dry up to my first knuckle (as in approximately 1-2 cm)
I'm gonna try with a low amount of voodoo juice and sensi bloom a+b
Instead of 1 ml/liter (tangs schedule), I'm only going to go 0.6-0.7.
Probably 0.6 ml/liter.
Then let's see how they will look tomorrow night..

Back