A few questions.

Dichoti

Let's grow a monster.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Random mix of Stardawg, APG, and Cherry Bomb.
Do I need to decarb CBD strains before I use them in med recipes?
(I know it converts the THCV to THC. Not sure if needed with a CBD strain, Unless it'd take away from the needed "entourage" effect of everything.)

Can I just vacuum seal a big bag of bud, and chuck it in a pot of boiling water for a few hours to decarb it? If so, how long would I need to boil it?

You don't have to decarb...your liver converts the cannabinoids. By not decarbing, there is no chance of psychoactivity.
If you do decarb and there is thc, there will be a high.

https://www.marijuanabreak.com/decarboxylation
Why Do You Need to Decarb CBD Strains?

You would be forgiven for thinking that CBD decarboxylation is unnecessary. After all, why do you need to decarb a strain that’s already non-psychoactive? However, the same rules apply because raw cannabis contains the acid form of CBD, known as CBDA. Again, CBDA has its own health properties but it is nowhere near as effective as its decarbed cousin.

The decarboxylation of CBD increases its bioavailability. In other words, your body will be able to use the compound right away and it should work faster. If you consume CBDA, your body is forced to work extra hard to break down the molecule and it also uses the acid form of CBD differently.

There is some dispute over the right decarboxylation temperature of CBD, although it is typically higher than that of THC. Bear in mind that its boiling point is between 320 and 356 degrees Fahrenheit, so the latter should be the maximum temperature you use, with most users opting for less than 320 degrees. As for timeframe, it depends on the temperature! Certainly, you should be aiming for between 30 and 60 minutes.

:smoking:

You don't have to decarb...your liver converts the cannabinoids. By not decarbing, there is no chance of psychoactivity.
If you do decarb and there is thc, there will be a high.

https://www.marijuanabreak.com/decarboxylation
Why Do You Need to Decarb CBD Strains?

You would be forgiven for thinking that CBD decarboxylation is unnecessary. After all, why do you need to decarb a strain that’s already non-psychoactive? However, the same rules apply because raw cannabis contains the acid form of CBD, known as CBDA. Again, CBDA has its own health properties but it is nowhere near as effective as its decarbed cousin.

The decarboxylation of CBD increases its bioavailability. In other words, your body will be able to use the compound right away and it should work faster. If you consume CBDA, your body is forced to work extra hard to break down the molecule and it also uses the acid form of CBD differently.

There is some dispute over the right decarboxylation temperature of CBD, although it is typically higher than that of THC. Bear in mind that its boiling point is between 320 and 356 degrees Fahrenheit, so the latter should be the maximum temperature you use, with most users opting for less than 320 degrees. As for timeframe, it depends on the temperature! Certainly, you should be aiming for between 30 and 60 minutes.

:smoking:
Thank you.
I asked about boiling the vacuum sealed bag because that's my only way of decarbing without much smell. Wrong time of year to make my house smell "pretty".
What would you recommend, Just fill a big stock pot with water and let it boil all day?

a lot of folk use a double turkey bag.i use a mason/kilner jar with the lid screwed on tight.
IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5062.JPG
good luck n keep er lit.
:pighug:

Thank you.
I asked about boiling the vacuum sealed bag because that's my only way of decarbing without much smell. Wrong time of year to make my house smell "pretty".
What would you recommend, Just fill a big stock pot with water and let it boil all day?

I decarb in a glass pyrex, sealed with aluminum foil (shinny side down), and then inside a turkey bag. There is absolutely no smell as long as you wait to open until it cools.
I also have a Lift, and that is smell free too.
There is a thread here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...-sous-vide-instead-and-save-your-money.66096/ , but I don't think it worked very well.
Sealed and in the oven gives me my best results :smoking:

I decarb in a glass pyrex, sealed with aluminum foil (shinny side down), and then inside a turkey bag. There is absolutely no smell as long as you wait to open until it cools.
I also have a Lift, and that is smell free too.
There is a thread here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...-sous-vide-instead-and-save-your-money.66096/ , but I don't think it worked very well.
Sealed and in the oven gives me my best results :smoking:
Thank you!

I'm actually curious about "medibles", because as I approach 40 (youngster, eh?) I hurt more and more. I was overly active and athletic up until my late 20s, doung everything from football to moto-x, and carried on body building up until two years ago.
I HURT.
Not to mention my mom has peritoneal cancer (similar to ovarian, but more aggressive, and effects the "gut sack"), And is open to trying mmj if her "last hope" treatment doesn't work. I'm hoping I have time to grow a couple CBD strains for her, honestly. Seems like tests done on ovarian cancer show cbd kills the cells, But they don't list ratios or strengths, So I'm going to try with the amnesia cbd, which is a 1:1 ratio (8%:8%).

Thank you!

I'm actually curious about "medibles", because as I approach 40 (youngster, eh?) I hurt more and more. I was overly active and athletic up until my late 20s, doung everything from football to moto-x, and carried on body building up until two years ago.
I HURT.
Not to mention my mom has peritoneal cancer (similar to ovarian, but more aggressive, and effects the "gut sack"), And is open to trying mmj if her "last hope" treatment doesn't work. I'm hoping I have time to grow a couple CBD strains for her, honestly. Seems like tests done on ovarian cancer show cbd kills the cells, But they don't list ratios or strengths, So I'm going to try with the amnesia cbd, which is a 1:1 ratio (8%:8%).

Medibles are a great way to go!
You can make butter, and put it in anything that uses butter. Cookies, brownies etc.
You can infuse into coconut oil and cook/bake with that or put the oil in capsules if you don't like the taste.
Tinctures are good. They can be mixed with honey to make them more palatable, or reduced and put in candy.
You can even reduce a tincture down to RSO.

IMHO I would make RSO for your Mom. It will take her time to get up to a 1 gram dose...but thats what she needs.
:karmacloud:
Everything is really easy to make with regular kitchen equipment. We'll help in any way possible.
:bighug:

Medibles are a great way to go!
You can make butter, and put it in anything that uses butter. Cookies, brownies etc.
You can infuse into coconut oil and cook/bake with that or put the oil in capsules if you don't like the taste.
Tinctures are good. They can be mixed with honey to make them more palatable, or reduced and put in candy.
You can even reduce a tincture down to RSO.

IMHO I would make RSO for your Mom. It will take her time to get up to a 1 gram dose...but thats what she needs.
:karmacloud:
Everything is really easy to make with regular kitchen equipment. We'll help in any way possible.
:bighug:

Thank you.
You can use RSO in edibles, right? I know very little about this stuff lol
But... I can tell you now that she won't go for anything with a bitter/strong taste. I'd probably make whatever with the highest dose available, And just have her take it before she goes to bed.

You can use RSO in edibles, right?
I'm sure you can, but it has a strong taste.
you can put it in capsules...but you will need to start slow so she doesn't get too high. Even high CBD strains still have thc, it is thought that the synergy of all the cannabinoids makes it work the best.
I would start her out with brownies or candy and get her resistance up.
And if she just doesn't like the taste at all, you can water cure your buds for no taste and no smell.

Back