A question about PH/PPM and nute lockout

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen a post from me over at the infirmary; I'm having a bit of trouble with some yellowing on the lower leaves, and it's slowly progressing up the plant.

The plant is in BioBizz Light-Mix with 30% perlite mixed in. Up until week 5, there were no problems with the plant, and I hadn't needed to feed her at all (leaves were perfect colour up until this point, then the yellowing set in). She is well established in flower (probably week 3).

I took this as a clear sign that I needed to start feeding her, so I've given her 3 feedings in a row (roughly every 2 days) with half strength BioBizz nutrients (grow/bloom are the only ones that contain any NPK). CalMag has been given at 0.2ml per litre ever feeding too.

The three feedings did not stop the issue, but they seemed to have slowed it down quite a bit - from my judgment.

I have checked the PPM going in, which was 500, and the PPM coming out, which was 550, which seems good enough.

PH going in is 6.5, and PH coming out is 6.4, which also, to me, points to the fact that this could not possibly be a lockout (PH is good and ppm is also similar to what's going in, so there's no build up (also using organic nutes)).

Does this mean that I should perhaps up the feed from half strength as that is the only issue it could now be? I don't want to pour more nutrients in when the issue could be lockout or something else I am unaware of.

Cheers guys!

Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen a post from me over at the infirmary; I'm having a bit of trouble with some yellowing on the lower leaves, and it's slowly progressing up the plant.

The plant is in BioBizz Light-Mix with 30% perlite mixed in. Up until week 5, there were no problems with the plant, and I hadn't needed to feed her at all (leaves were perfect colour up until this point, then the yellowing set in). She is well established in flower (probably week 3).

I took this as a clear sign that I needed to start feeding her, so I've given her 3 feedings in a row (roughly every 2 days) with half strength BioBizz nutrients (grow/bloom are the only ones that contain any NPK). CalMag has been given at 0.2ml per litre ever feeding too.

The three feedings did not stop the issue, but they seemed to have slowed it down quite a bit - from my judgment.

I have checked the PPM going in, which was 500, and the PPM coming out, which was 550, which seems good enough.

PH going in is 6.5, and PH coming out is 6.4, which also, to me, points to the fact that this could not possibly be a lockout (PH is good and ppm is also similar to what's going in, so there's no build up (also using organic nutes)).

Does this mean that I should perhaps up the feed from half strength as that is the only issue it could now be? I don't want to pour more nutrients in when the issue could be lockout or something else I am unaware of.

Cheers guys!
Hello bio light only has food in it for first 2 weeks then you start feeding at 50% then work up

Hello bio light only has food in it for first 2 weeks then you start feeding at 50% then work up

Cheers for the reply Dell. Yeah I had read the same, I did give her a 1/4 strength feeding at day 14, and she got burnt tips. I held back from the nutes after that, tried again a week later, and got burnt tips again, so I decided to only feed her when she asked for it.

.. and my god... is she asking for it now (I think)! Just want to be sure that I am not causing more issues by pouring too many nutes in.

Cheers for the reply Dell. Yeah I had read the same, I did give her a 1/4 strength feeding at day 14, and she got burnt tips. I held back from the nutes after that, tried again a week later, and got burnt tips again, so I decided to only feed her when she asked for it.

.. and my god... is she asking for it now (I think)! Just want to be sure that I am not causing more issues by pouring too many nutes in.
Thats why i swaped to coco as every plant is diffrent in how much food is needed with coco it' is feed from week 1 no guessing as i kept getting plant's like this under fed with soil all my fault not nowing when to feed hope this helps
IMG_20200919_124556.jpg

Thats why i swaped to coco as every plant is diffrent in how much food is needed with coco it' is feed from week 1 no guessing as i kept getting plant's like this under fed with soil all my fault not nowing when to feed hope this helps
View attachment 1330432

I've got a big 50L bag off Canna Coir ready for my next grow, but thought I'd learn the ropes with more forgiving soil, so need to get this one over the line.

Would be good to know about the PPM/PH question if anyone can offer a hand :biggrin:

I've got a big 50L bag off Canna Coir ready for my next grow, but thought I'd learn the ropes with more forgiving soil, so need to get this one over the line.

Would be good to know about the PPM/PH question if anyone can offer a hand :biggrin:
Man of green is the one to help you with that he know's stuff

Back