Advice on when to harvest/Start Flush?

Reaction score
Hey guys. Getting somewhat close to my first harvest(Its a matter of weeks I'm sure), and wanted advice on a couple of things.

1) When should I harvest based on how my buds look? I understand its preference, and I have looked at the reference chart MOG posted in the autoflower info section, however I am too inexperienced to read these buds. I have about 8 tops of the same height. I took pictures of three
of them, and I took up close pictures of three of them. The reason I'm having a hard time telling, is some buds look more mature than others. I'm sure you guys will see in the pictures.

2) I planned to start flushing about 1 week before the plants are done. Again, I've read the autoflower info section and I understand flushing is not beneficial like often rumored. However if I can save some nutes, why the hell not. I read one time that for ideal harvests, you should start to flush when 50% of the hairs have turned red. ANY truth to this at all? If not, when should I start flush?

Pics included below
20220112_163332.jpg
20220112_163402.jpg
20220112_163445.jpg
2022_01_12_15_44_25_947.jpg
2022_01_12_15_45_35_244.jpg
2022_01_12_15_43_26_393.jpg

headcheezeready-jpg.1285741
zamdelicaexpress-jpg.1290363
I'd say you got 3weeks still atleast. I wouldn't flush now unless you're in soil or some medium with nutrients. If you have no nutrients in the soil you may not get what you could have. That still could fatten up some imo. That's what it looks like to me. Plant looks good maybe tell us what you are growing with so we can recommend if we would flush. You want your buds to look like
lsd25done31-jpg.1285587

I'd only do last few watering only water but I mostly feed bacteria stuff like urb or fish shit. I'm not using heavy chemical nutrients I feel the need to get out. I switch to distilled on last few waterings. Use charcoal filter to get chlorine out tap for regular water

Last edited:
I'd say you got 3weeks still atleast. I wouldn't flush now unless you're in soil or some medium with nutrients. If you have no nutrients in the soil you may not get what you could have. That still could fatten up some imo. That's what it looks like to me. Plant looks good maybe tell us what you are growing with so we can recommend if we would flush.

Of course my friend. I don't know if I mentioned in the above post, but I do plan to only flush for a a few days to a week at most. I'm growing in a mix of COCO COIR and perlite. Roughly 70/30. Taking this into account, I believe it would only need a few days to flush given the medium has no nutrients itself, and unless I supply them, the plant will be forced to cannabalize itself. Also like I said, I'm more so flushing to save nutrients more than anything, as I've heard plant doesn't really take them the last week anyways. The plant is currently on week 10 from seed. week 5 of flower. It was suppose to take 70 days overall, however I have seen it take some people as long as 112 days. I was thinking a couple more weeks, but being as this will be my first harvest, I'm excited to chop the plant down. On the other hand, I'm trying my best to wait until its perfectly ripe. Currently using synth nutes, GH flora trio with calimagic to be specific. I started off feeding at 1/8 of the strength, however it was causing my plants to be stunted and overall slow growth and many deficiencies. So I upped the nutrients and I'm currently following the GH TRIO MEDIUM FEED CHART exactly as is, and its working perfectly with these girls. If anything else would be helpful let me know!! My current plan is to let the plants go until around 70%+ of the hairs are red and curled and the trichomes are around 20% amber. Does this sound decent? What do you look for before you harvest?

When the buds aren't getting any fatter looks can be deceivinv you can think it's ready then it takes longer. You will know it will look like a bud that you would love to have it will have shaped out your buds getting there. I like milky not much Amber I'm not looking for couchlock it's what you want if you want stoney narcotic stuff let it go longer. If you high stress trained the plants each top adds an extra week to veg to recover. Plus sometimes seed companies can tell you the bare minimum you can harvest like you could chop now but it would be medicore. Some ppl are just cash cropping and everyone wants the fastest growing shit so they say the earliest you could harvest. Like it would still get you high of you chopped it now just would be a sad comparison of what it could have been. But if you want it done right it's gonna take longer. Leafs Amber before buds btw so that might be what your seeing too.

When the buds aren't getting any fatter looks can be deceivinv you can think it's ready then it takes longer. You will know it will look like a bud that you would love to have it will have shaped out your buds getting there. I like milky not much Amber I'm not looking for couchlock it's what you want if you want stoney narcotic stuff let it go longer. If you high stress trained the plants each top adds an extra week to veg to recover. Plus sometimes seed companies can tell you the bare minimum you can harvest like you could chop now but it would be medicore. Some ppl are just cash cropping and everyone wants the fastest growing shit so they say the earliest you could harvest. Like it would still get you high of you chopped it now just would be a sad comparison of what it could have been. But if you want it done right it's gonna take longer. Leafs Amber before buds btw so that might be what your seeing too.

Ok thank you very much! Yea I will definitely let it go at least 3 weeks longer. For me, quality is most important. I definitely want the Stoney narcotic high. The plant is Northern Lights Auto and I'm growing it for insomnia. I'm really looking forward to watching the buds swell!!!

Maybe let them go even longer then cure for awhile if you want it to knock you out. thca (raw the not psychoactive) turns into thc but that takes awhile without heat which is why you decarboxlyate edibles. Thc then turns to cbn (sedative) which makes red oil if extracted instead of Amber or light yellow. Good news is the can be converted into cbn thru heat without waiting for time to oxidize it if you want to make edibles. But if you want cbn buds you can vape and is raw and has those terps over ripen the shit leave it till you get mostly Amber. Then cure for awhile the longer the better. I think I accidently converted thc to cbn decarbing hot and long cause it just made me sleepy the old school narcotic hash was aged.

Overdoing thc can knock you out too. Like lots of dabs. That might be another thing to look into

Maybe let them go even longer then cure for awhile if you want it to knock you out. thca (raw the not psychoactive) turns into thc but that takes awhile without heat which is why you decarboxlyate edibles. Thc then turns to cbn (sedative) which makes red oil if extracted instead of Amber or light yellow. Good news is the can be converted into cbn thru heat without waiting for time to oxidize it if you want to make edibles. But if you want cbn buds you can vape and is raw and has those terps over ripen the shit leave it till you get mostly Amber. Then cure for awhile the longer the better. I think I accidently converted thc to cbn decarbing hot and long cause it just made me sleepy the old school narcotic hash was aged.

Thank you! This is very interesting and could prove helpful.

I love both I use an arizer solo. I go thru phases. If I have really nice organic cured bud I'd rather vape that generally but if I only got commercially grown buds that aren't as good as my homegrown I'd rather dab.

Back