Are Bigger Buds/Colas Better, More Potent, Than Smaller Buds?

BII

Reaction score
Most everyone prefers bigger plants and bigger colas, but are the bigger buds generally more potent or otherwise better than small ones? Potency = total weight (or ideally the number of molecules in mole units) of desired active cannabinoids per dry weight. Related to this, if potency and quality are the goals, is it better to do LST to generate more branching and buds or let the plants just grow a few big colas? Note, yield is of no concern here.

All things being equal, such as the biggest bud/cola on a plant and other smaller ones, but still well-formed and of good size, at the same height on the same plant, which will likely be more potent?

Theoretically, smaller buds will have proportionately higher leaf surface exposure to light, their cells/tissues be better able to exchange air/gasses, and will be more potent, presuming light- and air-exposed surface area are major factors involved.

Or are the biggest buds generally more potent, perhaps because the plant has grown them bigger after devoting more auxins and resources to their growth? Big buds present problems with drying, but does bigger buds taking longer for drying and curing contribute to them having enhanced potency vs. other buds?

[Personally, I have sometimes been disappointed at the potency of some of the biggest, even central, colas, with other buds often proportionately more dense with resin and more potent.

Most everyone prefers bigger plants and bigger colas, but are the bigger buds generally more potent or otherwise better than small ones? Potency = total weight (or ideally the number of molecules in mole units) of desired active cannabinoids per dry weight. Related to this, if potency and quality are the goals, is it better to do LST to generate more branching and buds or let the plants just grow a few big colas? Note, yield is of no concern here.

All things being equal, such as the biggest bud/cola on a plant and other smaller ones, but still well-formed and of good size, at the same height on the same plant, which will likely be more potent?

Theoretically, smaller buds will have proportionately higher leaf surface exposure to light, their cells/tissues be better able to exchange air/gasses, and will be more potent, presuming light- and air-exposed surface area are major factors involved.

Or are the biggest buds generally more potent, perhaps because the plant has grown them bigger after devoting more auxins and resources to their growth? Big buds present problems with drying, but does bigger buds taking longer for drying and curing contribute to them having enhanced potency vs. other buds?

[Personally, I have sometimes been disappointed at the potency of some of the biggest, even central, colas, with other buds often proportionately more dense with resin and more potent.

My experience is that bud size doesn't matter.
The main reasons that people like big buds are ease of harvest, and bragging rights.
Same for bud density.
For us edible makers, even the unripe, tiny popcorn buds are just about as good as big colas, gram for gram.

In my experience the dankest buds come off of the smaller plants. Not saying there isn't high yielders that are also dank, but I'd say that's an exception. I was talking to my dad, who's been growing for like 30 years about the new super autos that can do 10-12 oz. He was saying that he thinks a plant starts to lose potency after about 5 oz.That's from my dad that grows photos not autos, and has grown the giant plants as a cash cropper. He has some of the most potent weed I've smoked, and I smoke a lot haha.

This is a great question.

For whatever reason my most potent grows have come from the biggest buds on my smallest plants... Hmmm....

Combine the views expressed so far, that smaller plants generally provide better quality/potency, with discussions in other threads, such as one of the main AutoCOBs threads, noting that BIG plants yield much less vs. smaller plants (per sq. foot; e.g. with my small wimpy plants I generally get 2 oz/sq. ft., while those getting 16 oz. plant but using 16 sq. ft. (filling 4 x 4) get only 1 oz/sq. ft., one has to question:

Why the irrational bias and often desperate desires and attempts to grow BIG plants (indoors)?

Combine the views expressed so far, that smaller plants generally provide better quality/potency, with discussions in other threads, such as one of the main AutoCOBs threads, noting that BIG plants yield much less vs. smaller plants (per sq. foot; e.g. with my small wimpy plants I generally get 2 oz/sq. ft., while those getting 16 oz. plant but using 16 sq. ft. (filling 4 x 4) get only 1 oz/sq. ft., one has to question:

Why the irrational bias and often desperate desires and attempts to grow BIG plants (indoors)?

I think it's because of 1, people like to show off. Then 2, plant counts that people follow. I personally think plant counts are dumb, and would rather just do a bunch of smaller rotating plants. Even outdoor that's my style, I don't want to grow 10 lbs of mids, and lose 10-30% of mold because it's just so fuckin big.

Welp. You done stepped out of my pay grade...
:pass:
You'd think that, As long as every flower is getting the same amount of light, everything should be uniform through out the whole plant.

Oh...to answer the "big plant" question/statement... Some do it to hit a goal, Some do it for the same reason they try to catch a 100lb catfish or shoot a 24 point whitetail buck. Same concept applies, for the most part. I try to grow the plants to their biggest potential, Just because I smoke A LOT.

Potency is affected by genetics and good growing environment and quality nutrients. Size of plant does not matter.
Also weight and density of buds is insignificant. What matters is the bulk of the buds. I guess nobody uses scales weighting buds to roll a spliff, they just cut a piece that they see and feel is enough. A bulky but airy bud can provide the same or bigger amount of spliffs rolled to a denser bud. Weight matters to commercial growers only.
Lower buds don't receive enough light so you can harvest the top and let them mature for a week or two more to make sure they are equally potent to top ones. Light is a major factor for potency.

The best smoke comes from the weed that can't yield cause it's on full time struggle to survive. Give it the cold, the drought and lack of nutes and it will give you the best smoke you ever had.

Back