Back to Basics

G

gr33n*giant

Hi Guys, its great to see a dedicated forum for the AF's of the world!
I started with some AF's as a fill in while I veg some photo's but have become smitten by the simplicity, i will still flower my photo's but will be back to AF's as soon as possible! I digress
I need some basic info which i have found very difficult to find elswhere and would be of use for beginners
1st Pot sizes bigger is obviously better but where does it stop? 3 liter good, 6 liter better, 10 liter too much? short and fat or long and thin? i have read that the longer the tap root the bigger the plant so long and thin'ish?
2nd Nutes, when to start? can you give me an idea for light mix and allmix? veg nutes all through and flowering when you see the flowers? ratio's etc would be great! are they prone to cal\mag def etc..
3rd common mistakes compared to photo's. minimal potting on? are they really that sensitive to root manipulation?
My Current grow AF's
2 Blue Himalayan Diesel 4weeks in
2 Nirvana short ryder 3 1/2 weeks
mixed in with these photo's
Nirvana White Widow
Wonder woman
G13 Purple Haze
Sugar Black rose
Using Plagron all mix and bio bizz nutes (veg, bloom and topmax)
am testing out some airpots 2 BHD and 1 SS are in 3 liters the other SS is in a 6liter
these are under 2 angled lights a 250W SON T Agro and a 600 grolux, extraction is 350CM 5" prima klima, intake is passive and TT100 from window
the pic is from the 27th i am feeding tomorrow and post more.
far left sprouted 3 leaves and has now split in a Y updated pictures will show but crazy.
all good advice heeded and welcome :hump:
I hope this forum goes from strength to strength
cheers
GG

Attachments

• 27022011491.jpg
    27022011491.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Well first let me say welcome!
Second... thats a pretty nice setup.
And third.. you should check this thread out.. and then ask questions from there... saves a lot of typing for us.. :)

http://autoflower.net/forums/showth....-This-should-answer-a-lot-of-basic-questions.

Glad you are as intrigued by the autos as us! Welcome to our home (and hopefully yours as well).

How are you liking the airpots thus far? I've been wanting to try them for about 4 months no but havent had the extra dough.

JM

Cheers, thanks for the welcome.
been looking at teflon BHD grow with interest and he uses 1 1/2 gal (u.s. i think?) which is roughly UK 6 liters so i thought to try both 3 and 6 in airpots and compare but mixed the BHD up and they ended in 3's, got it right with the SR though. i dont want to check roots yet as i have heard that they dont like it but will give full autopsy with pics on chopping day. My photos love 'em went from 1's to 3's about 2 weeks ago and they need to go in their final 10's now! they are a b'stard to water i find dunking in a bucket works! i have a couple more BHD's and SR to go and just arrived 5 mini gun and 5 green o matic, after the photo's are done i will be running these side by side in 3 and 6 airpots maybe a 10 because the SS in the 6 is obviously bigger but that might just be pheno.
thanks for the input
Great site
GG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sub'd and welcome........... I just got some air pots in last week. 2(10"), 6(6"). Also got 3 (2 gallon) 1 each 3 and 5 gallon smart pots. Going to try a couple diesel ryders 1 in each type of pot.

Looking forward to seeing what you think about your airpots.:thumbs:

Hey mate welcome to the site. I use 2 u.s gal. But i feel if i was using air pots like yourself i could use 1 or 1.5.

Taller pots seem to be better for autos, their roots go down deep instead of spreading out.

I find they are the same as photo strains in terms of flower nute usage. Some need lots some not so much. Autos will make you a better grower because you will have to start reading the needs of each pheno.

I transplant my autos.. The trick is to get them into new pots before they really start to flower, or get root bound. Getting root bound seems to kick start the flowering process.

Anyways, welcome to the site!

Thanks, i may take a look at 3 liter pots on next feed (put off till tomorrow as still some weight in pots and arsenal V man united is on tv!) will take pics of anything interesting, will check the 6 dependant on what i see in the 3. i currently germ in peat pots then straight into final (AF's only) once my current photos are done i will go for a 2 week cycle running 3&6 pots to see what difference it has and of course post results.
thanks for the nute info although i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew with 2 auto's and 4 photo's, thought catering for 2 kids was hard not a possible 8 pheno nute schedule!
got some spare cash at the moment can you recommend a strain? just germing a BHD, Short Ryder and a Diavolo for a friend and have green o matic and mini gun in the wings, was looking at Onyx or other suggestions?
Great site,cheers
GG

Back