Blogs: An Alternative to the Traditional Post-and-Reply Grow Journal

I will be updating blogs shortly.

Our current version of UBS (Blogs) is 2.1.7
The latest stable version is 2.1.14.

UBS 2.1.8 (Stable/Supported) released

Implemented

Category Option: Default tags
This has been implemented in UBS 2.1.8 Note: This only applies during the Add item process (does not come into play anywhere else). The Category Add/Edit form now has a new input titled "Default tags". This allows you to add tags that you want to pre-load into the Tags input on the Add blog...

Updated
Widget Definition - UBS: Latest blogs, display style updates and new option
As per title, I've update the Widget Definition - UBS: Latest blogs. I've added 2 new Display styles (Full - Carousel and Full - Tile view) to the Latest blogs Widget definition as well as a new option that requires the blog to have a cover image set in order to be fetched for display within...

Implemented
Widget Definition option: Require cover or content image
I've added a new option to a couple of the existing Widget Definitions included with User Blogs System (UBS, Latest blogs, UBS: Latest blog entries, UBS: Featured blogs, UBS: Featured blog entries) As you can see in the image below, there is a new check box input that allows you to require that...

Implemented
Display signatures on comments
As per title, I've added a new option that allows you to enable or disable signatures on comments. Currently, displaying signatures is forced (same as on posts), now you have the option as an admin to disable them from being displayed instead of having to do a template edit. Note: Default is...

UBS 2.1.9 (Stable/Supported) released

Fixed

UBS phrases associated with RMS
Isn´t a bug and I guess the renaming just has been overseen, but I see no other place, where I could post this.

Implemented
When Posting a new Entry while on (viewing) a Blog, go directly to the Add entry form if there is only 1 viewable category
As per title, when posting a new Entry while on (viewing) a Blog Page (actually on the BLOG page itself, not from UBS Index or Category pages or anywhere else outside of a blog page itself), take the viewing user directly to the Add entry form if there is only 1 viewable category (bypass the...

Implemented
Alert author on blog and blog entry approval
As per title, when approving and unapproved blog or blog entry, the author of the content will receive and alert letting them know that it has been approved.

Updated
Blog Entry Option: Display cover image above entry - modified to correctly display only on overview and full view
As per title, I've updated the per blog entry optional displaying of the cover image above the entry to correctly only being displayed on the main blog entry page and when viewing the blog entry in "Full view'. Currently, when setting the option and the blog entry has some Blog Entry Pages, the...

Fixed
Featured Blog Entry Criteria Error
When I setup a trophy for featured blog entries the UBS criteria value won't save. Looks like maybe just a function typo?

Fixed
Missing phrase: [name] has not posted any blog entries yet
Added missing phrase...

Implemented
UBS Cache Rebuilds via CLI using the xf-rebuild command.
As per title, you can now run a couple of the UBS Cache Rebuilds via CLI using the xf-rebuild command. Here you can see all the rebuilds that come with XF, XFRM, XFMG, AMS, RMS, Showcase and UBS.

Implemented
Hide the change category option on the Add entry page if there is only one viewable category
If there is only one viewable category that the viewing user is able to choose, then hide the change category option at the top of the Add entry input forum.

UBS 2.1.10 (Stable/Supported) released

Updated
php 7.4 compatibility update
As per title, several functions in UBS 2.1.10 have been updated to now be compatible with php 7.4.

Fixed
UBS phrases associated with RMS
Isn´t a bug and I guess the renaming just has been overseen, but I see no other place, where I could post this.

UBS 2.1.11 (Stable/Supported) released

Implemented
Widget Definition - UBS: Latest series
AS per title, I've added a new Widget Definition title "UBS: Latest series". This new widget definition allows you to create Latest Series Widgets. Note: this was possible because of funding provided by a member of Area 51 who wishes to remain anonymous. This Widget Definition comes with a few...

Implemented
Widget Definition - UBS: Featured series
AS per title, I've added a new Widget Definition title UBS: Featured series". This new widget definition allows you to create Featured Series Widgets. Note: this was possible because of funding provided by a member of Area 51 who wishes to remain anonymous. This Widget Definition comes with a...

Partially Implemented
Exclude cover-image from the gallery when gallery is configured to display above/below item details (or Article/Blog Entry)
I love how when you place an attachment (picture) into the item description as a thumbnail, it disappears from the item gallery if above/below the item details. However, the image in cover-image is still shown, even if it's shown above the item. It'd be nice to display no images if cover-image...

Fixed
Time limit on editing/deleting own blogs (minutes) not working
As per title, the permission "Time limit on editing/deleting own blogs (minutes)" is currently not working as expected. This is a oversight on my part and has been fixed in the upcoming maintenance release.

Fixed
Time limit on editing/deleting own blog entries (minutes) not working
As per title, the permission "Time limit on editing/deleting own blog entries (minutes)" is currently not working as expected. This is a oversight on my part and has been fixed in the upcoming maintenance release.

Updated
Layout Types (List view, Grid view, Blog Entry view, Featured Carousel) have some minor updates
As per title, just giving everyone a heads up that there have been some minor updates made to the following Layout Types: List view Grid view Blog Entry view Featured Carousel No changes have been made to Tile view or Featured Grid. Tile view and Featured Grid will get an update in UBS 2.2.x...

Implemented

Blog Entry Moderator permission: "View draft blog entries"
I've added a NEW UBS Blog entry moderator permission: "View draft blog entries". As you can see in this image, I (admin) am able to view Mr Testers draft entry. You'll probably also notice that not only can you VIEW it, you can perform all of the normal actions that you can on a visible or...

Implemented
Blog Entry permission: "Save as draft" and new navigation link "Your draft blog entries"
I've add a new UBS: Blog entry permission "Save blog entries as draft". This allows Blog owners with the permission "Save blog entries as draft", to save full Draft Blog Entries like they could in UBS 1.x (instead of the extremely limited "save draft" function of the editor). Draft Blog...

Implemented
When Posting a new Entry outside of a blog, bypass blog chooser step if only 1 available Blog option to choose from
As per title, when posting a new blog entry outside of a blog (eg, on UBS Home, UBS Category pages), the system will automatically bypass the blog chooser if the viewing user only has 1 available choice. The key is ONE SINGLE BLOG... 1 personal blog and 1 community blog = TWO BLOGS which is...

Implemented
Blog List: If blog does not have a cover image, use the latest blog entry cover image if there is one.
As per title, If a blog does not have a cover image, use the latest blog entry cover image (if there is one) as the blog cover image on both List View and Tile View layouts for the Blog List page. Here we can see what it currently looks like on Tile View when a Blog does not have a cover image...

Fixed
Alert Link To Reviews in AMS, SC, UBS returns a view permissions error when its a rating only
All the details so far are in this thread: Alert Link Broken Basically the member is saying that they received an alert that their article was reviewed, and when they click the link, it returns an error. I get the same error when I click the link: The article: The perch experiment The alert...

Partially Implemented
UBS: Latest blog entries - update?
Hello Bob, in my forum, blogs have been pretty much used, which is great. I have a cover page widget for new posts that greatly applauds users and wants to be shown there with their articles (blog entries). It would help us a lot: show the blog name (with link) from which the article is (now...

UBS 2.1.12 (Stable/Supported) released

Updated
Minor Tweaks to Grid View and Tile View layout types.
As per title, I've made a couple minor (much needed) tweaks to both Grid View and Tile View layout types. Containers will no longer "stretch" full width when they are the only container in a row. As you can see here (this is CAS, but its the same layout), the container in the last row no...

UBS 2.1.13 (Stable/Supported) released

Implemented
Next and Previous blog entries in series links displayed below blog entry
With XF 2.2 taking longer than expected, I am going to move some of the features I've implemented for UBS 2.2 into UBS 2.1.x (starting with UBS 2.1.13). As per title, display navigation links for the Next blog entry in the series and Previous article in the series, for blog entries that are...

Implemented

UBS statistics - added several new stats options
With XF 2.2 taking longer than expected, I am going to move some of the features I've implemented for UBS 2.2 into UBS 2.1.x (starting with UBS 2.1.13). As per title, I've updated the UBS Statistics in the Admin CP with several new stats options. Note: Ratings = ratings only and Reviews =...

Implemented
Widget definitions: Blog entry page poll and Series poll
With XF 2.2 taking longer than expected, I am going to move some of the features I've implemented for UBS 2.2 into UBS 2.1.x (starting with UBS 2.1.13). As per title, with the implementation of Blog entry Page Polls and Series Polls, I've included 2 new Widget Definitions that allow you to...

Implemented
Permissions - Change dates own blog entries and Change dates on blog entries
As per title, I've added 2 NEW permissions that are used in the process to determine whether or not the viewing user can use the Change Dates feature. These are not the only permissions that come into play. The viewing user must also be able to EDIT the article as well. Just having these...

Implemented
Major enhancements to pages
With XF 2.2 taking longer than expected, I am going to move some of the features I've implemented for UBS 2.2 into UBS 2.1.x (starting with UBS 2.1.13). As per title, I've made some major (much needed) enhancements to Pages. I am going to attempt to list all of the enhancements in this single...

Implemented
Major enhancements to Series
With XF 2.2 taking longer than expected, I am going to move some of the features I've implemented for UBS 2.2 into UBS 2.1.x (starting with UBS 2.1.13). As per title, I've made some major (much needed) enhancements to Series. I am going to attempt to list all of the enhancements in this single...

Implemented
"This series" search constraint for quick search on Series pages
As per title, I've added a "This series" search constraint to the quick search on Series pages. This comes in handy when you want to search only blog entries within a series.

Fixed
The "This blog" search constraint on quick search is not working.
As per title... when viewing a Blog page or a Blog Entry page, the "This blog" quick search is not working (the constraint is not being processed). This has been fixed in UBS 2.1.13 (requires the search index to be rebuilt!) Also, the missing phrase has been resolved so it now properly...

Implemented
Display 'Add Entry' button on 'Blog entries by Alfa' page
When a member click on 'Your Content' and they have no content they are met with the following message: But there is no function on the page to post a new blog or entry. This is confusing to members. It would increase blogs & blog entries if there would be a button there to post new content...

Implemented
New Permissions - Submit comments without approval and Submit reviews without approval
As per title, I've added 2 new UBS permissions 'Submit comments without approval' and 'Submit reviews without approval' Currently, both Comments and Reviews use the Core XF General Permission "Submit content without approval" as part of determining whether a new Comment or new Review should...

UBS 2.1.14 (Stable/Supported) released

Fixed

Show ignored content (links)
Ignored content is hidden in CAS, however, the "Show ignored content" links have inadvertently been left out. This has been resolved in CAS 2.1.4. Note: This also applies to a few places in AMS/RMS/SC/UBS that were missed. In this shot, you can see that the latest questions block displays...

I'm liking the blogs so far. Definitely a bit of a learning curve but it beats the hell out of digging through 55 pages to read someones grow.

So when you click the delete button at the bottom of a page on your blog, it deletes the entire blog, rather than the page, can that be changed? I've deleted my blog twice now by mistake, albeit I was very stoned at the time.

I'm liking the blogs so far. Definitely a bit of a learning curve but it beats the hell out of digging through 55 pages to read someones grow.

So when you click the delete button at the bottom of a page on your blog, it deletes the entire blog, rather than the page, can that be changed? I've deleted my blog twice now by mistake, albeit I was very stoned at the time.

Tag one of us if that ever happens again, we might be able to see/restore the deleted blog. I'll have to check on the page thing.

Tag one of us if that ever happens again, we might be able to see/restore the deleted blog. I'll have to check on the page thing.

I'm getting better at making the blogs each time though. :lol:

You can only delete pages from the Manage Pages function that is located at the top of the blog entry.

What about a separate comment area per blog page ? Could bring a little more discussion and comments to the blogs. I've noticed my blogs have all the same views as threads but they lack comments and reactions.

Back