Building organic soil

Where I live we have wonderful organic products made by down to earth Dte makes in my opinion the best organic products on the market an are the best organic products for my living coco grow style I pioneered
Yes, there are good bagged soil products out there. But are they as good as (or ideally even better) than DIY mixes? Other than saving money, having the satisfaction of doing it yourself, being self-sufficient, are there any good reasons to mix it yourself vs. buying bagged products?

Yes, there are good bagged soil products out there. But are they as good as (or ideally even better) than DIY mixes? Other than saving money, having the satisfaction of doing it yourself, being self-sufficient, are there any good reasons to mix it yourself vs. buying bagged products?
The down to earth line is amendments to build your own soil although I’m using peat moss an coco as my medium an adding many down to earth amendments an other stuff as well as fermenting various things I don’t have any experience buying a already made soil or medium every thing I grow is 100 organic an custom made from years of my own experience growing organically I grow in my medium dubbed living coco organics an haven’t changed my medium in 3 years I just add new amendments an remove most of the root ball an plant again so the idea of having to change out what’s in my containers all the time for someone’s else’s idea of a quality grow medium makes no sense to me an besides that the quality I get using abnormal growing styles an my own custom organic concoctions is some fire 🔥 for sure

@Bill I believe there are some very good organic soil mixes out there , -- But -- and it is a big one -- are you a organic grower - The whole point of making your own soil is in the learning process as will get a better understanding of the inputs and what They do . Then there is a cost factor , but not as high and just in the first time building , then you will have inputs on hand when making more which brings the cost way down . The main work is in making the soil . After that it is dead easy , Now I like to have my soil at least 3 months old it does not matter if you go longer , you jest feed the soil every now and again . , I believe it gives time for every thing to settle down and work there magic . So used soil - I add it to the soil I am building for next grow . Now why .
This is only my opinion --- Top of the list is flavor -- I get a lot of comments about how good it is from friends I share with - Yield - I also have no problems there - Ease of grow - another big plus , - Pride - Hang your head up high . I gre w this . Now if you decide to go down ether path , just let us know and we can guide you down the path .:thumbsup:
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

@Bill Part 2 :mrgreen: - Urban environment , Depending on how much space you have to store your soil .if you have room for say 2 x 100 liter to start off with so you will have 1 grow going on , then you will have the next one ready for the next grow and as you are reusing your soil the cost per grow comes down . So then you end up with only 100 liters getting ready for your next grow . -- Inputs -- All can be purchased at a store or on line , and again you should have enough for the second batch of soil maybe more --- Commercial bagged soils --- I have to say I have not used them , BUT I use a cheap one for the base if I need to start a new batch --- Quality and performance --- I can not comment on this [ have not used them ] but I get both, Now lets call in a Bagman .:mrgreen:
@KIS you comments are most welcome .

Some thoughts I have
--- Bag soil --- Why not , there is no reason not to if you don't have the space to make your own .
--- Soil environment --- This I believe is a big part of the grow , Temp , Humidity , and saturation level all play a big part in soil health
--- Microbes --- Is a bigger part , the more biodiversity the better the interaction in the system .
--- Seasons --- Yes can play a part in the soil out come , Cold weather will slow the microbe activity and may allow pests to enter the soil . Lucky I am in the Tropics and that may be the factor I have been soil pest free .
--- Time frame --- Learning organics to build your own soil takes a lot of time , I have been doing it for over 8 years and still leaning . It is a passion . There is never a day I do not have dirt under my fingers , :smokeit:

I'm not ready to fully abandon feeding nutrients, particularly during bloom. I know with feeding that it's not organic, but can anyone recommend DIY "light" soil mixes, such as similar to BioBizz Light (claims to be 'organic')and other soils that mostly just support first 2-4 weeks? Are light mixes simply regular mixes diluted/mixed with a relatively inert medium, such as peat, sphagnum moss and/or coco? For ex., can I mix coco (on hand) with a good bagged 'organic' soil?

@hecno nailed it in his response. I think there are some good pre-mixed soils out there, shoot that's what I do for a living. One advantage I have is that I will have done a lot of heavy metal testing as well as fertility testing on my mixes. I've also looked at it under the microscope and have a pretty good idea of what the balance of fertility is in every bag, and I know I'm hitting my targets for NPK for cannabis.

That being said, one of the best reasons for mixing your own soil is you get to control every input and can use high quality inputs (not all companies do). Also I think the process of mixing your own soil can be good for better understanding the various properties of the soil (physical, chemical, and biological) and just connecting with the growing process even further. Be sure to wear PPE if you do, because it's not good for your lungs to have all that particulate.

My formulation process is to mix based off my experience in making way too many soils over the past couple decades (and this is all formulated around your compost source), and then getting a soil test. Based off the soil test, we will make some tweaks (sometimes they come back way different than I expected), and testing again. Once I have consistency on my soil tests, then I'll run some plant trials to make sure the growth I'm getting matches what I would expect. Then we will release the mix. This typically takes me 1-2 years, and it's overkill for a home grower but the thought process can be the same.

Hope that helps!

Back