Old Reviews California Lightworks SolarSystem 1100 UVB

Muddy

Proud deplorable!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
OG Kush, Deep Cheese, Key Lime
1569784086691.png

Over the years I've had the opportunity to use many different LED grow lights including GrowLedHydro, Goldstar, FERO, Lush and Kind. When my two Kind XL1000s failed last year I had to purchase replacements. I made the decision to go with the CLW 1100 UVBs and I'm glad I did. These are without a doubt the best LEDs I've used.

I purchased two units and a controller. The controller has some nice features and without it, custom programming of the lights isn't possible. Multiple programs can be setup for each growth stage, veg, pre flower, flower and finishing, allowing the light spectrum to be tailored for each phase. Those individual programs can then be run as a "season", where the controller will automatically switch from one program to the next throughout the complete growth cycle. I've not yet used this feature, preferring to change programs manually based on how the plants are developing. There is also a feature that, with the touch of a button, puts the lights into a natural light mode, allowing for inspection of the plants without being colored by the red and blues of the LEDs. This is a handy feature, especially if you are experiencing any issues such as nutrient deficiencies where you want to see how the plants actually look. The controller also includes a timer, eliminating the need for an external one.

The UVB lights are very interesting. Because of the prohibitive high cost of UBV diodes, CLW decided to go with fluorescent tubes. These are 24 inch T5 bulbs that fit into fixtures which hang from the sides of the 1100s. They are only used during the last 2-3 weeks of the grow for 8 hours per day. They do require an external timer. Per CLW, their timing will be included in a future software update to the controller. I've done four grows utilizing the UVB and the results have been pretty dynamic. Rosin flow has increased dramatically, the buds are larger, harder and given that the plants natural response to UVB is trics turning amber, I'm getting amber trics on strains I never had amber on before. This would seem to settle the old issue with people growing autos that never amber. Since most LEDs do not include UVB, and UVB promotes amber, it makes perfect sense that lights without UVB won't produce amber trics, at least not in any volume.

I'm using these new lights over my 8 pot Under Current RDWC system. The first two grows I did with them were of Red Diesel, a strain I had previously run under the Kind XL1000s. This was done purposefully for a good comparison of the two lights. The results from the CLWs showed a dramatic improvement. The over structure of the plants is better, node spacing tighter, larger buds, tighter buds, more rosin and amber trics. I have no doubt that the UVBs placed a huge roll, given how much the buds tightened up in the last two weeks and how much stickier they were. The amber produced by the UVBs also balanced out the high of the Red Diesel, which is a sativa dominant strain. I'm sure this is due to the higher CBD and CBN the plants produce when exposed to UVB light. It made for a more rounded smoke, adding a bit of body to what is otherwise a very head high smoke. The other two strains I've grown so far have been Super Sour OG, a terrible strain I'll never grow again, and some Tangerine Kush that I harvested last week. I let the Tangerine Kush get about 10% amber before picking. Even though it's not fully cured yet, the results of this strain under these lights is nothing short of amazing. Rock hard golf ball sized buds, hard as a rock and sticky as all get up. A true two hit and quit strain.

At 800 watts each, these are powerful lights. It's critical that the proper distance be maintained above the plants. I've found that anything below about 28" will cause bleaching of the highest buds. 32 to 36" above the plants seems to be the sweet spot. At that height the full 4' x 4' coverage of each light is easily maintained. The penetration of the light is also very good. I tend to grow most strains SCROG, so my canopy can get pretty dense. I do lollipop my plants so my canopy tends to be about 2' deep. Even the lowest buds fully matured and showed amber trics. In fact, the penetration is so good I've been able to discontinue the use of the T5 side lights that were a must with the Kinds.

One additional observation. With all the other LEDs I've used, fox tailing was always an issue. Since I've switched to the 1100s, no more fox tailing.

All and all, I couldn't be happier with these lights. In fact, I've been so impressed with them that I've replaced my Lush veg lights with two CLW 275 Veg lights. I'm on my second set of clones under them and again, the results have been dramatic. Lusher, fuller plants with much tighter node spacing. The GLH and FERO lights I have been using in my outdoor auto grow box are failing and within the next couple weeks I will be purchasing a CLW SolarSystem 550 UVB to replace them. Except for the Lush I use for my mothers, all my lights will now be from California Lightworks.

Here are the specs on the 1100 UVBs:

Actual Wattage800 watts at max draw (plus 24w for each UVB light)
HID Equivalent1000 watts
LEDsTop-Bin OSRAM diodes
LED Life Span50,000 hours
Input Voltage90 - 277V AC
Max Current6.6A @ 120V; 3.3A @ 240V
Operating Frequency50Hz - 60Hz
Spectrumfull spectrum for veg and bloom: red, white, blue, UVA and IR wavelengths; plus UVB (285 to 315 nm)
Total PPF output1285 umol/s
PAR efficiency1.55 umol/s/w
Coverage Area8 by 8 feet for veg, 4 by 4 feet for flowering
Working Temperature0°F to 107°F
Thermal Managementwater resistant, replaceable fans; 50,000 hour lifespan
DimensionsSS 1100: 18" x 18" x 4"; SS UVB: 23" x 4" x 2" (each)
Product WeightSS 1100: 26 lbs; UVB: 2 lbs each
Daisy Chainyes, up to 1000 units
Package Includes1100 fixture, 2x UVB fixtures, 2x brackets for UVB, 6 ft long 120V power cord, communications cable; discreet shipping
Manufacturer's Warranty5 years

Note that these lights are waterproof, which given that we grow in high humidity, is a very nice feature. I've opened some of my old LEDs and corrosion of internal parts was visible. So waterproofing makes good sense. Also note the 5 year warranty. That's about the best in the industry.

In summary, let me again say that I couldn't be happier with these lights. Granted, they are expensive, but given their performance I believe the cost was justified. I'm looking forward to many years of outstanding grows from them.

Hey @Muddy! I just got back on the forum after several years. I was friends with The Squid and referred here by him way back in 2013, and he always spoke very highly of you. I enjoy your posts; you are clear and to the point. I learned a lot from you and the others here and hoped to learn a lot more.
I wanted to say thanks for the review, too, and let you know that I just pulled the trigger on the SS 550 with the UVB kit. I am looking forward to a bountiful harvest with some guidance from the group.

It looks like you are not quite as active these days, but I hope you will be able to keep an eye on my grow. :pass:

Hey @Muddy! I just got back on the forum after several years. I was friends with The Squid and referred here by him way back in 2013, and he always spoke very highly of you. I enjoy your posts; you are clear and to the point. I learned a lot from you and the others here and hoped to learn a lot more.
I wanted to say thanks for the review, too, and let you know that I just pulled the trigger on the SS 550 with the UVB kit. I am looking forward to a bountiful harvest with some guidance from the group.

It looks like you are not quite as active these days, but I hope you will be able to keep an eye on my grow. :pass:
Hi
Did you end up getting the ss550uvb.?
I've got 2 ss550s in my 4x4 and am looking at getting a uvblight from clw. do you have any feedback? Thanks

I did. I just got it hooked up yesterday. Looks great, I think I will like it. I like the controller and how easy it is to change the spectrum intensities. I have the UVB on mine and it all fits in my 32x32 tent. I turned them on just see what it looked like and you can barely tell they are on, but I guess the plants can.

I did. I just got it hooked up yesterday. Looks great, I think I will like it. I like the controller and how easy it is to change the spectrum intensities. I have the UVB on mine and it all fits in my 32x32 tent. I turned them on just see what it looked like and you can barely tell they are on, but I guess the plants can.
Does it have 2 uvb lamps? They say one will do 48sx48? Might be overkill... my tent is 48x48

The UV kit comes with 2 lamps, one mounted on each side of the LED just like the 1100 model. It won't be overkill as long as you don't get them too close.

Could it mean one kit does 48x48 or one bulb?

Back