Grow Mediums Canna Coco and High frequency fertigation

Reaction score
Hi guys,I am here to talk about something that Is bugging my mind.Yesterday a Canna member answered my question through email and said that you must let Coco dry out about 40% before fertigation,and that runoff should be about 5% of the solution volume you give...Is anyone here that can explain why cocoforcannabis says at least 10% runoff and to keep Coco saturated?
I am about to install again a drip system,very simple,so I am very confused...

Easy/quick answer? Coco is hydro. It doesn't hold water so you can't let it get dry or the plant will suffer or possibly wilt and die.

I run coco and have been getting really good results running ~20% runoff by volume. I also try not to let it dry out as coco is a form of hydro growing. When they are just small seedlings I don't water every day or even every other day. I tend to let it "dry" a bit more in those early days. Maybe that's what they were referring to?

I hand water and collect my runoff to test volume and ppm. Early on, maybe 500-600 ml and move up as the runoff decreases or I notice a jump in PPM. I currently have two plants at about day 50 and I give them 1 litre in the AM and 1 at night. Runoff tents to vary in amount between the two but as long as it is at least 200ml and the PPM of the runoff stays at ~300 ppm or less than input I leave it alone. It gives a slight wet/dry cycle but never dries out.

Currently AM runoff has dropped to between 100-200ml so I am going to increase the AM watering to 1.5L and leave the evening at 1 litre unless PM runoff drops below 200ml.

Hope that helps a bit.

3 big things for coco:

1) Always fertigate. Never water only. Water(irrigate) + nutes(fertilizer) = fertigate
2) pH 5.8-6.2
3) Always water to runoff.

Easy/quick answer? Coco is hydro. It doesn't hold water so you can't let it get dry or the plant will suffer or possibly wilt and die.

I run coco and have been getting really good results running ~20% runoff by volume. I also try not to let it dry out as coco is a form of hydro growing. When they are just small seedlings I don't water every day or even every other day. I tend to let it "dry" a bit more in those early days. Maybe that's what they were referring to?

I hand water and collect my runoff to test volume and ppm. Early on, maybe 500-600 ml and move up as the runoff decreases or I notice a jump in PPM. I currently have two plants at about day 50 and I give them 1 litre in the AM and 1 at night. Runoff tents to vary in amount between the two but as long as it is at least 200ml and the PPM of the runoff stays at ~300 ppm or less than input I leave it alone. It gives a slight wet/dry cycle but never dries out.

Currently AM runoff has dropped to between 100-200ml so I am going to increase the AM watering to 1.5L and leave the evening at 1 litre unless PM runoff drops below 200ml.

Hope that helps a bit.

3 big things for coco:

1) Always fertigate. Never water only. Water(irrigate) + nutes(fertilizer) = fertigate
2) pH 5.8-6.2
3) Always water to runoff.
No way, Canna specifically said 5% runoff,when the pot has Lost 40% or more than its Wright when fertigated...what the hello man,I have done Coco with high frequency before and had lot of issues with CRISPY and burnt leaves but It should be because of my tap water very hard,now I m gonna dilute to 0.2Ec and add Calmag agent from canna till 0.4 EC.
Another thing very important:To dilute my fertilizer mix,what should I do?Should I use water with calmag at 0.4 EC for dilution, right?
@DCLXVI

Hey Draxel - that sounds odd from Canna but each to their own.
I am a big fan of high frequency fertigation and coco is all that I use (coco and clay pebble mix, either from Canna or Gold Label), when I use stakes once the ladies have rooted they get a minutes watering every two hours and increased as time goes on, during peak flower they usually have about 14-->16 on periods, now I am using drip rings I have had to change that slightly as they emit a fair bit less water, so they get 15 minute intervals - right now they are on 6 x15minute over the day and that will likely increase when they kick in to full flower.

Ultimately the different set ups can utilise various feeding methods, for a recirculating system in coco surely the idea is to keep recirculating as much as possible throughout the day so the plant can take as much as she can eat and leave the rest. When hand watering to run off, the game changes, personally I find it a pain.

Good Morning! This is only from my experience that growing in coco doesn’t need to be watered every day. I fertigate every other day and plants doing great! . Not trying to knock other growers process just stating my own. This is only my second time using coco.

Hey Draxel - that sounds odd from Canna but each to their own.
I am a big fan of high frequency fertigation and coco is all that I use (coco and clay pebble mix, either from Canna or Gold Label), when I use stakes once the ladies have rooted they get a minutes watering every two hours and increased as time goes on, during peak flower they usually have about 14-->16 on periods, now I am using drip rings I have had to change that slightly as they emit a fair bit less water, so they get 15 minute intervals - right now they are on 6 x15minute over the day and that will likely increase when they kick in to full flower.

Ultimately the different set ups can utilise various feeding methods, for a recirculating system in coco surely the idea is to keep recirculating as much as possible throughout the day so the plant can take as much as she can eat and leave the rest. When hand watering to run off, the game changes, personally I find it a pain.
So,I have to set up my drip system again,but this time with proper calculations.I think It Is Better to follow their advice for fertilizer and water dilution,but not for High frequency irrigation I guess

Good Morning! This is only from my experience that growing in coco doesn’t need to be watered every day. I fertigate every other day and plants doing great! . Not trying to knock other growers process just stating my own. This is only my second time using coco.
I got very strong deficiency from doing this,but I Repeat,I have very hard Tap water that Is surely locking out Calcium and this Is why I have Phosphorus deficiency,this Is my not scientific diagnosi ahahhhahahah

Guess I ll run 2 plants with high frequency and 2 with their 40% loss Weight technique...I don't know,It Is so weird,they also told me textile posta,like smartpots are the worst type for this type of style.I got my plants in smartpots already ahahahah

Do anyone knows how can I dilute my water After giving the full dosage of fertilizer?
Do I have to use water with calmag at 0.4 EC for dilution?

Do anyone knows how can I dilute my water After giving the full dosage of fertilizer?
Do I have to use water with calmag at 0.4 EC for dilution?
You'll dilute a nuted solution with water only, and then check the EC to bring it into your desired strength

Back