Not open for further replies.

blue

gRobot
Staff member
AFN Admin
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Here are some useful and up to date resources and tips from Canna regarding growing with coco.

I take no credit for these, but found them useful :)

Do you rinse coco before potting up?
No, do not rinse CANNA COCO, you will wash away the buffer and have problems. Pot directly into COCO right out of the bag, the EC is below 1.

Coco watering guide tips

COCO is best in a Run-To-Waste system with a minimum of 20% drain. Water from the top and spray stakes are better in this case than drippers
Always run the nutrients in any water applied to the medium at a minimum of 600 ppm or EC = 0.8
Never run straight water on the coco until the very end at the normal flush period right before harvest
Water when 50% of the water held by the container after a through watering. This may be as much as every 3 days at the start and dropping to every day or better toward mid crop
And again, DO NOT PUT PLAIN WATER ON THE COCO MEDIUM. We stress this because the balance in the medium will go crazy and things will begin to show issues and take about 8 days or more to re-stabilize.
remember you can NOT get accurate results in pH and EC tests on the run-off or drain, it takes the procedure described in the COCO Infopaper for correct results. (Blue Edit: Which is ridiculous - and don't think you'll want to do it to your canna plant!
and again

Never use plain water. Even when you think you need to leach the container, do so at 600 ppm nutrients or at 0.8 EC.
Does Coco go bad?
If it has been stored in decent conditions, it should be no problem. I have used them up to two years after production with no issues.
Should i flush my coco?
Leaching is only necessary if you have an excess of nutrients in the medium. So if you apply correctly, it is not needed. Flushing is done in the final 3-7 days prior to harvest to get all the remaining nutritive elements used up so they do not affect taste and quality after harvest and is done by stopping all fertilizer applications just prior to harvest and using plain water to remove remaining salts in the medium.
Do I pre-water Coco in advance of potting??

WATERING
It is not necessary to water with CANNA Coco in advance of planting. It is recommended to drip the Coco with nutrient solution (2 ml Coco A and 2 ml Coco B /litre; pH 5.2-6.2) until drain appears. The Coco now contains enough nutrients and water for a couple of days. Furthermore the right temperature (20-25 °C) and high air humidity will guarantee an optimal start.

Last edited:
Blue,I meant to give you a rep for your smoke report but gave it to the wrong person so im giving it to you now.
Smilies%20Smoking%20a%20Weed.gif

Good stuff bro. +rep I would like to add a few tips if I may :pass:

I love one of the things about coco is the root can get huge amounts of oxygen, with the benefits of Airpots it works great.

I like to pack my pots all the way up to the top as I know I'm going to lose an inch or two through out the grow.

I use the concave technique that TaNg shows in his post. This also works great in coco, I mix my feeds in a 2L jug then pour into a little 1.3L mini water can. I pour in the centre and slowly around the edges, the flow of water comes out nice and steady. I found with this technique
Its rids the problem of water pissing out all of the holes. With 10-20% run off with a good feed, the water just runs out centre of the pot. A lot cleaner and practical. I find the coco just absorbs so much water I catches It before it comes out the holes and is there is no wastage. Sometimes my plants would suck it back up before in could empty there trays. Lol.

I always bubble my feed 24hrs before it use it, to ensure full oxygen in the feed.
I found with these techniques, and my root stims,Im getting crazy root action coming out the the bottom the pots.

I add my CalMag (As I need it for my LEDs) to my feed before I bubble it and I don't pre mix my feeds before feeding. I find the pH will just continually rise, I had it at 8.2.

If add my nutes fresh it comes in at 6.8. A few drops of Canna Organic pH down and your sweet. I like to keep it at 5.5 for veg, with less P&K, and 5.8-5.9 for flower for more P&K. Iv got it now at 6.0 for full on flower and my girls seem to be loving it.

Coco, Airpots and LED's is a great combination, iv found I can truly dial myself into my grows. Coco has given me the ability to give me nice big girls in small spaces that I have desired now for some time, I just couldn't quite grasp that with Organics

Last edited:
nice blue, love canna coco let me give you a :slap: for post it here :pass:kudo art.jpg

Great compact info and I definitely agree on (not to) plain pH water feeding.

Very nice blue :smoke:

Do you all re-use coco? If so, could you give advice?

Use enzymes during the final week or two of your current crop, and continue using them for the first two weeks of your new crop.

Remove the large chunks of roots before setting up your pots for the next grow as well. The enzymes will digest the dead root matter. They will also destroy any bennies that you are using as well, however. So don't use.then simultaneously, and reapply bennies after you discontinue the use of enzymes. Hygrozyme is good

Great info, blue.

thanks skatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back