What's up AFN? I was inspired by @Son of Hobbes' "Operation Compassion Care" thread, to post a tutorial, "Dollar Tree Meets Wally World: Grow Meds On The Cheap". I've been thinking of what the next step is for a new grower after they complete their first grow . For most new growers, the answer is to buy new seeds, which can be very costly. Cloning is a priceless skill to acquire. It may seem to be a very technical application of growing, and maybe it is, but it doesn't have to be an intimidating process. I am going to put up a "bare bones" tutorial on how to do it on the easy, and on the cheap. I am going to do it as one consecutive post, so let's get stared! :thumbsup:

Tools Needed
Alcohol
Scissors/Shears
Box Cutter/Blade
Permanent Marker
Duct Tape (optional)
Humidity Dome (d-i-y or cheap)
Small Plastic Cups/Containers (22 for $1)
Spray Bottle (rain or tap water ph'd 5.8-6.0)
Vermicompost (worm poop) Large bag $15
Cheap Potting Soil (light and airy w/perlite if available average $5)
Sandwich Sized Plastic "Tupper Ware" type container (3 pack for, you guessed it......$1)
DSCN1315.JPG

Making Your Containers
I use "Red Solo Cup" mini shot glass style cups for seedlings and clones, if I am trying to force root formation in a hurry, to up-pot as soon as possible, otherwise I use 1ltr Dollar Tree d-i-y air pots or 20oz Solos. For this tutorial, I will base everything on the 2oz mini solos.

Take box cutter and make drain hole in bottom of cup.
DSCN1325.JPG

DSCN1326.JPG

At this point you write the strain info and cloning on duct tape and place it on solo cup, in order to reuse cup. If you plan on discarding cups after use, write info directly on cup.

I originally forgot to put this in the tutorial, but the reason I choose mini plastic cups is because they allow the medium to dry out faster, and that is what you want, especially with clones.You want to encourage the new roots to search for food/water, which in turn causes the root system to rapidly expand, and an expanding root system means an expanding plant. If you keep the media too moist, and all the food right there for the taking, the roots don't have to search for anything, and the growth will be slower. That is the simple take on it. If you want to maximize plant size, the wet/dry cycle in veg is key.

Mix Potting Soil

I mix 1/2 potting soil, then 1/4 worm castings in cup using a wooden skewer and give a light stir. Then top off with potting soil, and sit it in Tupperware container. Pour aprox.1/2" ph'd water in bottom of Tupperware, and allow potting mix to soak up water until soil is saturated; usually 3-5 minutes. Add 1/2" of water to Tupperware each time you add a new clone.
DSCN1328.JPG

While the soil is soaking, take your shears and take your cuttings.

Selecting Your Clone
Try To find clones with 4-5 nodes (stacked leaf sets), with a relatively rubbery, pliable texture. They root faster than woody stems. Cut the stem at a 45° angle. Once you cut your clones, place them in a cup of ph'd water until you are ready to put them in soil. I have successfully done this without ph adjustments many times, but if you have a meter, adjust the water.
DSCN1316.JPG

DSCN1319.JPG

DSCN1323.JPG

Planting Your Clones

Take cups out and push down on soil lightly to remove excess moisture; leave the mix very damp but not dripping wet.

Make a hole in center of soil (I use an ink pen), and gently insert clone.

Gently press dirt around hole until clone stands firmly on it's own.
DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1337.JPG
Some people cut leaf tips to inhibit the clone from trying to grow leaves, and to focus the energy on root production. I do think that this helps, but I usually get roots in 7-10 days either way, though some strains are harder to clone than others.

Now you are ready to place them in their dome. Mist clones right away. Make sure to mist 3 times a day for the first 2-3 days. Day 3, start to crack open your dome (1/8-1/4 of the way, if dome has vents) to let just a bit of air in. If no vents, just prop ends of dome open with whatever small thing you can find. I've used Legos, empty Chap Stick dispensers, a few quarters stacked up etc. If you see that after the first few hours the clones start to wilt, close dome completely and try again in 24 hours; repeat. You will end up with a clones that looks similar to this...
DSCN1332.JPG

DSCN1335.JPG

DSCN1341.JPG

Honorable mention:
This was my first cab. A hotel was being renovated, and they had put these small closets out as trash, so FREE! I already had a 4" hole saw to make openings, bought a few clip lights and cfls and started some local badseeds that I had from something they were calling "Killer Skunk". I spent the most on the reflective insulation. ($30)

Attachments

• DSCN1351.JPG
    DSCN1351.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1351.JPG
    DSCN1351.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
@NateNobody

Another outstanding pictorial my friend! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

My 'nursery cab' was also free. I did a remodel on a Christian High School a few years back, and hauled off several large wooden lockers.

No reason not to grow and propagate for next to nothing.

Peace

I will add this last tip.This is for new growers, and for some vets that may not know, but if you feel that you must have cloning gel, you can break a small piece of an Aloe Vera plant, and use the gel inside. It is a perfect natural cloning gel, and they are super cheap at the big box lawn and garden stores. It will save you tons of $ on Great White and products like that. :peace:

@NateNobody

Another outstanding pictorial my friend! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

My 'nursery cab' was also free. I did a remodel on a Christian High School a few years back, and hauled off several large wooden lockers.

No reason not to grow and propagate for next to nothing.

Peace

Thank you brother. Yeah man, it's pretty hard to beat free! I am just trying to help the new growers enter this lifestyle without having so much to comprehend right off the bat. Let them get their feet wet a little, and K.I.S.S.

Excellent!! Thanks so much for taking the time again nate!! I will be back to throw you max rep, once i spread it around enough I am able to rep you again!!

What's up 912? Thank you man. I caught a glimpse of a tutorial you posted about growing the perfect plant, or something to that effect. I am off work today, so I plan to give it a read, and catch up to some of my new friends here. Taking a food/smoke break right now, but I will talk to you in a bit brother. :peace:

I caught a glimpse of a tutorial you posted about growing the perfect plant, or something to that effect.

Ahh the weak link...i feel that is my current masterpiece!! Look forward to hear what you think bud!!

What's up AFN? I just wanted to give an update to show that the time frame that was given for cloning was accurate. This is a CH9 Seeds "Toxic Blue" clone taken on 4/23, 2 days before I posted this tutorial. It was part of the family shot in the last pic. It started showing the taproot poking through the bottom of the cup on 5/1. (8 days) I haven't had time to post until today. Some strains can take a little longer, and some can be super fast. The fastest that I have had personally was 6 days, and that was Connoisseur Genetics "East Coast Cookies".......super easy clones and great smoke.

"Baby Blue"
DSCN1413.JPG

DSCN1414.JPG

DSCN1415.JPG

DSCN1416.JPG

:thumbsup::woohoo1::peace:

Thanks for your tutorial, had a hard time getting things til I found this!

This may be a stupid question but are cloning auto the same as photos. I was told by a friend that cloning autos isn’t recommended but I’m a noob so just figured I’d ask. Thanks for all the information and pictures to coincide.

nice tutorial. little addon/explanation:
Some people cut leaf tips to inhibit the clone from trying to grow leaves, and to focus the energy on root production. I do think that this helps, but I usually get roots in 7-10 days either way, though some strains are harder to clone than others.
this is a solid practice, and I do it too, just the reason it's good is a bit different.
it's all about balancing transpiration. since there are no roots yet, you don't want too much transpiration or else your clone will dry out. humidity dome decreases transpiration by increasing humidity, and cutting off leaftips reduces leaf surface, which also decreases transpiration(you could also clip off a few whole leaves, same result of less leaf surface, but clipping off the tips is convenient with putting them close to eachother under a humidity dome).
I also put some wet/humid coffeefilters on the bottom of my humidity dome to keep humidity inside high.
I don't have an indoorrroom so I do my cloming in the windowsill with sunlight, so on top of those 2 things I also pay attention to how intense the sun is, too intense sunlight also means high transpiration, so I keep them out of direct light and only place them in the windowsill when the direct sunlight has passed, and on too sunny days I keep them behind the curtain.
the sun is also pretty much my only reason clones fail, sometimes I forget to take them out of the windowsill in the evening, and I wake up to cooked clones(it's a window with morningsun, so after noon it's usually ok, before noon it's too intense, unless it's cloudy/rainy)

Back