Coco and Cal Mag

Does coco require cal mag through out the grow???

• Total voters
Magnesium can be bought in bulk at a very exotic store called Walé marté
In the pharmacy department, ask for EPSOM salt.
2 lbs. $3:yoinks::nono:.
Calcium?...google crushed egg shells in vinegar.
Leaves spotting with yellow rust ( calcium def'c.
Leaves twisting or purple stems of any kind (mg def'c.).
One does not include the other.
Let me reword that for the new at growing.
If one condition occurs, not both are deficient.JUST ONE.
Treat that ONE.
This is the problem with calmag.
People over do the application and create new issues.

how much epsom salt do you recommend for mag def?

If Def, 50 to 100ppm every second day.
Regular Mg should be 20-30 ppm every feed.
I feed my plants 350-500ppm nutes.
So the addition of 20 to 40 ppm Mg is just enough to avoid a def'c.
People are paranoid of calmag déficiences.
Feed enough to avoid an issue, and not more.
Its like feeding a child dessert before supper,...every day.
Less is always better when growing C-bis.
And by harvest, you will flush by just using zero feed water for 2 weeks.

The opposite to this would be...
Feed kid dessert like crazy.
At 25 yrs old put kid on extreme diet.

Or or feed kid well all the time and fuck the diet.

If Def, 50 to 100ppm every second day.
Regular Mg should be 20-30 ppm every feed.
I feed my plants 350-500ppm nutes.
So the addition of 20 to 40 ppm Mg is just enough to avoid a def'c.
People are paranoid of calmag déficiences.
Feed enough to avoid an issue, and not more.
Its like feeding a child dessert before supper,...every day.
Less is always better when growing C-bis.
And by harvest, you will flush by just using zero feed water for 2 weeks.

The opposite to this would be...
Feed kid dessert like crazy.
At 25 yrs old put kid on extreme diet.

Or or feed kid well all the time and fuck the diet.

This is an awesome explanation! thank you!

Great thread. I've learned over the journey that ALL my previous deficiences were fixed by maintaining a perfect environment according to a VPD chart. Fresh air in, old air out. Humidifier and dehumidifier, heater and air conditioner and a constant flow of air over the plants making sure all leaves have movement. Having a perfect environment my plants just take regular nutes and are healthy and happy. I can't stress enough the importance of maintaining a constant enviroment for healthy growth.
That's my 2 cents of coco and cal-mag.

Ok.. Let's have it out!!

I've seen it all day, every day, for years.. Allegedly, when growing in coco, you NEED to add Cal mag through out the grow.. I'm pretty educated on the how's and whys of Cal mag and coco, but I want to figure out where the mis information came from, and maybe try to clear up some confusion. I'm trying to find out the following...

Where did you 1st hear this rule, and
Why do you follow this rule?

Let's hear it!

Do you believe this to be a legit rule that must be followed at all times, in all coco?

Let's bust a myth!! Or try to, lol.
I heard it on a podcast with dr coco.
He broke down that yes buffering is needed. But throughout the grow, the coco breaks down, creating more surface area and more exchange sites. To fill these exchange sites as they are created, one adds the calmag throughout as the coco breaks down.

I heard it on a podcast with dr coco.
He broke down that yes buffering is needed. But throughout the grow, the coco breaks down, creating more surface area and more exchange sites. To fill these exchange sites as they are created, one adds the calmag throughout as the coco breaks down.
ditto, among other places. There is no question that coco locks cations, the variance is in what a particular plant needs and a particular nute supplies, not to mention management of nutes, fertigation, RH, temperature. They are all linked.

ditto, among other places. There is no question that coco locks cations, the variance is in what a particular plant needs and a particular nute supplies, not to mention management of nutes, fertigation, RH, temperature. They are all linked.
Im not an expert but its working for now. My last grow i used the house n gardens coco a+b with the rest of the line. I didnt need to add anything and kept it at a cool 60% strength start to finish. Im still taking it down but ive got 11 oz in jars and at least that in bags/ to be taken down&trimmed. 80% of what goes into practice i learn here. The other 20% is podcasts and brain storming.

Im not an expert but its working for now. My last grow i used the house n gardens coco a+b with the rest of the line. I didnt need to add anything and kept it at a cool 60% strength start to finish. Im still taking it down but ive got 11 oz in jars and at least that in bags/ to be taken down&trimmed. 80% of what goes into practice i learn here. The other 20% is podcasts and brain storming.
Glad to hear that the grow is behaving. I'm not an expert either, but my one indoor coco grow went very well. It was a nice change from my outdoor experience with gnats, slugs, and mould. Happy growing @Hypathetical Gardener. :pighug:

A little advice if I may,
I've only used CannaCoco since I've started growing in coco.
I buy brick, water and add perlite at about 25% in the total volume.
Canna , wash/condition their coco properly.
That is to say, no soaking in calcium prior to use.
This cannot be said about all products on the market.
I also reuse my coco for several grows.
When reused.
I flush with tap water for the 3ppm of chlorine, then flush with tap water and vitamine C ( chlorine killer!!).
I have to mention that I feed my plants 50ppm of calmag at every feed.
Cation exchange does happen, I just keep it under control.

Magnesium can be bought in bulk at a very exotic store called Walé marté
In the pharmacy department, ask for EPSOM salt.
2 lbs. $3:yoinks::nono:.
Calcium?...google crushed egg shells in vinegar.
Leaves spotting with yellow rust ( calcium def'c.
Leaves twisting or purple stems of any kind (mg def'c.).
One does not include the other.
Let me reword that for the new at growing.
If one condition occurs, not both are deficient.JUST ONE.
Treat that ONE.
This is the problem with calmag.
People over do the application and create new issues.
Calcium deficiencies are mostly related to humidity/temperature issues and magnesium are mostly ph related. I agree with GeorgeCloney in the need to address them separately if possible. We tend to overdose the plants with cal Mag supplements and even if we avoid other grow issues we definitely affect the quality and quantity of our smoke.

Back