Coco and Cal Mag

Does coco require cal mag through out the grow???

• Total voters

Proph

Regenerative Organic Grower
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Ok.. Let's have it out!!

I've seen it all day, every day, for years.. Allegedly, when growing in coco, you NEED to add Cal mag through out the grow.. I'm pretty educated on the how's and whys of Cal mag and coco, but I want to figure out where the mis information came from, and maybe try to clear up some confusion. I'm trying to find out the following...

Where did you 1st hear this rule, and
Why do you follow this rule?

Let's hear it!

Do you believe this to be a legit rule that must be followed at all times, in all coco?

Let's bust a myth!! Or try to, lol.

Ok.. Let's have it out!!

I've seen it all day, every day, for years.. Allegedly, when growing in coco, you NEED to add Cal mag through out the grow.. I'm pretty educated on the how's and whys of Cal mag and coco, but I want to figure out where the mis information came from, and maybe try to clear up some confusion. I'm trying to find out the following...

Let's hear it!

Do you believe this to be a legit rule that must be followed at all times, in all coco?

I've been fine with introducing it later the things maybe related to the strains or the original feed plus I use well water and it sits@ 150ppm by its self so not sure I've since switched to growing in soil organicly and didn't add any I only fed with dry amendments.

Ok.. Let's have it out!!

Let's hear it!

I only know of needing calmag, whether coco or soil, was due to led lights. Maybe that is some of the confusion.

I only know of needing calmag, whether coco or soil, was due to led lights. Maybe that is some of the confusion.
I believe you hit the nail on the head.

When i ran blurples with coco, it appeareared to me that i was more likely to run into calmag issues. In fact, one grow i let a plant get out of control, i.e. it got to tall to the chinese epistar led on one side of the plant. The result were leaves with calmag issues on the top of the plant close to the led and gradually the leaves at the bottom of the plant had less of an issue. The opposite side of the plant that was under an autocob were green and healthy.

It depends...

With well buffered coco to start with, the newest MC nutes may not need it at all, although some strains may think otherwise. In ay case, I think initial buffering is a big deal.

My next grow will be coco/MC, and I will not use cal mag until the plants ask for it.

I’m under the thought that if you are using a cheep brick coco that has not been buffered then yes, buffering it with coco to start or adding cal/mag to waterings is necessary. If using a Coco designed for growing our plants that is already buffered then it is not necessary.

Proph this is an excellent post btw...
Kudos on the effort to kill :deadhorse:

Lets start with the basics of growing..
(Regardless of medium)..
Lets talk about PH...
99% of growers( posters here), haven't mastered the concept of PH .
This in my humble opinion is the root of most issues beyond the coco/peat calmag continuem..
This, is step ONE...only because this knowledge will help later on when PH will be the true issue and not buffering as we know it from square 1.

To most , correcting the teeter tawter ( seesaw)...EU/US....same...
Means putting more weight on one side to balance.

We need to STOP adding calmag to fix the isssue...stop...stop..stop...

Step 1 in diagnosis....leaf stems purple?...Magnesium issue ( notice I didn't say defecient??).
Step 2 in diagnosis...rust spots on the lower leaves?...stems are not purple...calcium issue.

Step 3 in simple diagnosis..
What is the feed PH and run off PH...
(80% of the calmag issues could be solved right here if people did this).
This balance between cal\ mag is really interesting.
To feed proper cal...you get a mag def'c.
To feed proper mag...you get a cal def'c.

And this...is where everybody screws up .
Because they only focus on the cal mag situation...
Like the price of gas.
Empty your car of the excess 300 pounds of shit..first...Then worry about the price of gas :doh:
In trying to fix the Calcium issue, 99% people create a magnesium def'c.
Then swing the problem the other way around...

Been running coco for 9 months and have a 3/4 a botle of calmag still left.

Was advised to use because of coco grow but found in softer water (and with LED's) my photos don't need it, while my autos complain only a little.

So as part of my feeding schedule I give all my girls a ph'd water (n molasses) feed: I know, no biolife etc but I do, deal with it.
I 'rince' coco pots once every ten days, (trial n error - 10 days no complaints) with autos I give a ml on their post flush feed.
Keeps my girls green lush and doesn't knock onto any other potential issues.

Oh & GeorgeC is 100% correct. 95% of issues stem from poor understanding of PH relative to nutrient element dynamics/uptake and its continuing detrimental effects.

I use a 4:1 Cal to Mag ratio not modern feed charts 2:1
Maybe i'm behind the times, but when i go higher on the Mag my plants suffer.
My lights are usually on 24/0 so the stomata need more Cal.
You can test if the stomata are open or closed by dabbing a drop underneath a leaf with alcohol. You will see it discolor the top of the leaf if open.

Back