Dealing with spider mites for outdoor

Legended

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Last outdoor season I had issues with spider mites. I'm going to start growing mid may and I want to be prepared. I ordered some neem oil, which I'll apply during veg, but during flower I shouldn't be using any oil based pesticides since it will affect the taste of the buds.

I was thinking about using predator mites to combat spider mites and other pests. Does anyone have any experience with these or have suggestions for dealing with spider mites during flower?

There is a youtube channel Bio company named Koppert that has good short videos
Here is a series/playlists on all available spider mite enemies (ones you can buy)

Last outdoor season I had issues with spider mites. I'm going to start growing mid may and I want to be prepared. I ordered some neem oil, which I'll apply during veg, but during flower I shouldn't be using any oil based pesticides since it will affect the taste of the buds.

I was thinking about using predator mites to combat spider mites and other pests. Does anyone have any experience with these or have suggestions for dealing with spider mites during flower?

I don't have outdoor experience with IPM but indoor we used 3 species of predatory mites but it didn't work incredibly well. It would prevent or curb an infestation but not eradicate it. The best piece of advice I got was to give conditions contrary to what the pest likes.

For spider mites, high humidity and wet conditions will deter them. Peppermint Castile and Neem worked very well alternating use every two days, spraying the underside of the leaves. Can't use neem when flower starts and I'm not entirely sure soap would be desirable but you can keep spraying water daily so that they won't try to lay eggs

I’ve never had luck with beneficial insects/mites either. In Southern California last year we had terrible spider mites, probably will again this year. Aside from the neem/mint in veg, I also used Dr Zymes which can be used throughout flower. It’s pretty effective IMHO. Also eliminates PM really quick. If I recall correctly, you can go to their site and get a free sample of a gallon or two worth - it’s concentrated- you just have to pay like $3 shipping. YMMV.

I’ve never had luck with beneficial insects/mites either. In Southern California last year we had terrible spider mites, probably will again this year. Aside from the neem/mint in veg, I also used Dr Zymes which can be used throughout flower. It’s pretty effective IMHO. Also eliminates PM really quick. If I recall correctly, you can go to their site and get a free sample of a gallon or two worth - it’s concentrated- you just have to pay like $3 shipping. YMMV.

Dr Zyme was highly recommended for mite control. I never used it but an acquaintance had excellent luck with it

Dr Zyme was highly recommended for mite control. I never used it but an acquaintance had excellent luck with it
I was impressed with it. Wiped out PM on my zucchini too! Once everything is under control, you can play with the amount of concentrate you use. Because it’s a little pricey. Make sure to get the concentrate if anyone decides to use it.

Free samples are still available: https://www.doctorzymes.com/mo/sample.php

EDIT - anything I mentioned regarding Dr Z pertains to outdoor grow = more soil based and compost, etc. Indoors I’m salt based in coco. No pest issues. I’ve probably jinxed my indoor garden now. But it is what it is.

Back