Defoliation with auto flowers

Mr.Maglue

New User
Reaction score
I'll open her back up,

I believe defoliation to be acceptable and or beneficial within certain aspects. I have no scientific information to back this, certain applications it can make improvements.

With autoflowers, larger fan leaves can block alot of beneficial light for lower extremities in a confined space (based on type of light). This type of time constraint, light penetration is essential for lower development to have a larger chance of survival.

Removing lower branches. Ones that look to not have enough potential to reach the canopy, in my opinion is a smart choice unless using to feminize, this is another option to leave lowers.

Over growing grow space. Defoliation can increase the amount of plants you can fit in a certain space without compromising eachother. Decreasing humidity, allowing more ventilation in a so called mini jungle.

I do not defoliate fan leaves until day 30 in autos. Thats my rule, so they have a decent foot in life and so you can see what you should keep or not. Becareful in this stage what you are cutting. Do not cut off branches until about day 40 in my opinion. Use your instinct to cut what you think is not going to make it to the canopy or have any benefit to the plant.

Airflow. Trimming the lower extremities smaller branches, fan leaves, popcorn buds can create a less humid environment, higher light penetration, possible way to deter high moisture, bugs, fungi, alot of other problems.

Another easy way is to only cut 1 fan leaf off of each internode. Recommend doing the one closer to the inside. Your autos can grow 2 new fan leaves on a new node within 2-5 days easily in the explosion period. Dont be scared to trim them.

If i missed anything start it up.

By defoliating at day 30, my tent temperatures dropped by 4°, 80° to 76°.
Dropped my humidity down by 10%, 75%-65%
Even with using an Hps.

Im using a 4x4 encloused for co2, xxl exhale, hurricane fan mounted horizontal to light, flowing air in and out via 6" duct fan openings. 600 watt winged hps non aircooled.
MH for first 30, hps for 30-finish.

Everyones systems differ this works for my application.

This photo is 2 weeks after defoliation. It grows back quick.

Have a good one!

20170716_012743.jpg

I would love to hear more on this. I've heard so many mixed opinion. I personally have seen no harm in it. However I have only a few grows under my belt.

I would love to hear more on this. I've heard so many mixed opinion. I personally have seen no harm in it. However I have only a few grows under my belt.
You should try and tuck any leaves that are covering buds out of the way or if this cant be done just remove them.Also when they get bigger remove any fan leaves on the lower part of the plant that are not recieving any light but if there are alot of them try and do a few every day as to not stress the plant to much.

I'm in my first grow and currently tucking away the big fan leaves to expose the bud sites. Will defoliate if needed

I have done it 2x.. Once too late 9nth week of life, and current grow when they were in second week of flowering.. I do it in one take..Didnt noticed any stress..

In the final three weeks of an autoflowering plant, she will use more nutrients she has stored in the leaves than she can take in from the soil. This triggers an alarm bell: she knows she's going to die soon. This will make her push and push those buds to explode in volume and with stickiness, hoping to catch pollen in her final days. The more leaves are available to fuel this final push, the bigger and more sticky the buds will be. She won't be able to fuel as much from the soil.

So, my opinion: unless there's a problem with light penetration, RH, or temperature, that can't be solved by simple LST, tucking or better fans, I don't recommend defoliation.

Last edited:
My two cents from experience... it seems when i was defoling and generally HST ing the plants, i had friggin 8 ounce plants.. i stopped( reasons beyond my control) my yieldS plummeted, the plants are ugly, stringy and christmas tree shaped.. yuck... i have a few projects going on right now but i dont intend on not cutting topping fimming chopping Hsting defoling from here on out, just a plant, there will always be more........

safest route for all
ask the breeder... some strains are not responsive to that stuff and you can severely damage your yield.... 10 oz plant turns to 1 oz.. if breeder can not be reached, the seed bank owner should have all the knowledge available.
and in general, any leaf removal or such is an opportunity for a mutation to occur, good or bad...
but what do I know....
i tell ya..
that tent is lookin nice!!!!

safest route for all
ask the breeder... some strains are not responsive to that stuff and you can severely damage your yield.... 10 oz plant turns to 1 oz.. if breeder can not be reached, the seed bank owner should have all the knowledge available.
and in general, any leaf removal or such is an opportunity for a mutation to occur, good or bad...
but what do I know....
i tell ya..
that tent is lookin nice!!!!
See now that makes sense, all my plants now ARE natural and one ounce.. shoulda beat em up a little.. in all seriousness, unless you grow two of the same and compare the results, you will not have data to go by.. even oir top breeders don't recommend it.. why.. if they said, this plant is excellent with topping, you ll find someone to fech it up, then blame the seeds and breeder, this would be a death sentence for that company.. even a side by side will not give 100% accuracy ( for comparison) due to the different phenos

Back