deformed/stunted(?) should I continue ?

Cool, when you say dried bud, do you mean my regular dried cured jar weed or dried meaning de-carbed bud?
and weed mixed right in the brownie mix don't actually work does it? seems I remember took a lot a didn't do much

I guess the machines you can do it all decrarb/infuse , kind of set it and for get it

Cool, when you say dried bud, do you mean my regular dried cured jar weed or dried meaning de-carbed bud?
and weed mixed right in the brownie mix don't actually work does it? seems I remember took a lot a didn't do much
In the saute thing I was talking about dried is the flower right out of the jar your smoking. The heat in the saute pan decarbs it for you right into the fat. And weed right in brownie mix doesn't work well at all, it's just how it was done many years ago

I’ve made about 5 batches of brownies and cookies in the past and didn’t know you were supposed to decarb. I used to put about an ounce of flower and 2 butter sticks in a pot and simmer for about 4 hours. Oddly enough that’s the last time I’ve felt any effects from edibles. Also in 1990 I built two quarter pipes for the Beastie Boys in their studio and they had cookies which were very stony and they used a crock pot method of heat /no heat for 12 hours without decarbing first, so I guess if given enough time and proper heat the decarb can happen naturally while cooking.

I’ve made about 5 batches of brownies and cookies in the past and didn’t know you were supposed to decarb. I used to put about an ounce of flower and 2 butter sticks in a pot and simmer for about 4 hours. Oddly enough that’s the last time I’ve felt any effects from edibles. Also in 1990 I built two quarter pipes for the Beastie Boys in their studio and they had cookies which were very stony and they used a crock pot method of heat /no heat for 12 hours without decarbing first, so I guess if given enough time and proper heat the decarb can happen naturally while cooking.
It takes about 20 min to decarb bud at about 220-240 in the oven so 4 hours on a simmer was definitely enough.

Break up your your weed and put on foil on a pan in preheated 240* oven. Bake 40 mins.

Now pick either unsalted butter, clarified butter, ghee, or coconut oil. I like ghee. 1oz weed to 1lb fat.

Crock pot on high until it's hot. Add 1cup water, check temp. Want to be between 180-200. Put on low.

Add fat and weed. Let it rock for 4 hours stirring gently once an hour.

Strain though cheesecloth. More you squeeze and stir, the greener it'll be.

Refrigerate overnight in a bowl. Once it's cool and hard drain the water off, pop it out of the bowl and wash the crud off the bottom and you're good to go :thumbsup:

At that point I'll melt it in a pot and pour it into these silicone butter mold things I have. Refrigerate and freeze. I also do the crockpot part in my garage so it doesn't stink up the house as much
Why is water added? Water will presumably dissolve/extract more chlorophyll and other polar/charged organics, a lot of contaminants from the dead plant cells (chlorophyll, plant alcohols/sterols, nucleic acids, amino acids, etc). I could see using 2 non-mixing solvents (water-butter) for more complex chromatography-based separations, but not for simple solvent extraction of fat/lipid-soluble cannabinoids and terpenes.

Otherwise, much as with use of vaporizers and smoking, up front decarboxylation is not required. The end product can be put through the same oven or other heat treatment; or non-decarbed butter/oil can be used for baking, cooking, frying, etc. (as long as gets say ≥45 minutes at ≥water boiling temperature to do the decarb).

Last edited:
Why is water added?

Water will presumably dissolve/extract more chlorophyll and other polar/charged organics, a lot of contaminants from the dead plant cells (chlorophyll, plant alcohols/sterols, nucleic acids, amino acids and peptides, etc). I could see using 2 non-mixing solvents (water-butter) for more complex chromatography-based separation, but not for simple solvent extraction of fat/lipid-soluble cannabinoids and terpenes.
It's just to keep it from burning in the crock pot. The water stays separate from the fat and just pours off after the fat is cooled

It's just to keep it from burning in the crock pot. The water stays separate from the fat and just pours off after the fat is cooled
OK, so you are actually doing a 2-phase (oil/lipids-water) extraction.

There is inherently a good amount of water (~16-18%) suspended in butter. So if add 1lb. butter, have added >2.5 oz. of water. Adding even more does not seem to be needed.

But does the product actually come out better with vs. not adding water? Do all or most recipes cite adding water?

OK, so you are actually doing a 2-phase (oil/lipids-water) extraction.

There is inherently a good amount of water (~16-18%) suspended in butter. So if add 1lb. butter, have added >2.5 oz. of water. Adding even more does not seem to be needed.

But does the product actually come out better with vs. not adding water? Do all or most recipes cite adding water?
The water in the butter can evaporate from the crockpot and it turns the butter into sludge. The added water is just for protection and to increase the volume since 1lb of butter doesn't fill up a crockpot very much when it's melted. You can also do it with just putting the weed and butter in mason jars and using the crock pot as a water bath. Then no added water is necessary

The water in the butter can evaporate from the crockpot and it turns the butter into sludge. The added water is just for protection and to increase the volume since 1lb of butter doesn't fill up a crockpot very much when it's melted. You can also do it with just putting the weed and butter in mason jars and using the crock pot as a water bath. Then no added water is necessary
OK, but does anyone know if the end product quality-wise comes out better, worse or same if add or don't add water?

You can also toss some dried buds in a saute pan with some butter or oil and whip up a quick pasta dish if you're looking for single serving. That's how I learned originally to make weed food before we had the Internet :crying:

talking about dried is the flower right out of the jar your smoking. The heat in the saute pan decarbs it for you right into the fat.
How much did you use...did you grind up a gram out of the jar, or less/how well did it work?

Back