Dialing In MEGA CROP for Auto's

Well that’s if you leave the epsom at 0.5g. It would be out of balance if you didn’t reduce the epsom by the same percentage.
What I was thinking is that if 3.5g/gal MC v2 1-part plus 0.5g/gal Epsom is considered balanced. Then say when I feed my 2 week old seedling at a lower dosage, I mix 2g/gal MC with 0.289g/gal Epsom. This would maintain the same ratio of nutrients at a lower strength. But doing a full strength mixture and diluting it to the required ppms would achieve the same.

I use a concentrated solution of MC since I often am making small batches. Since the dry mix can cause imbalance with the larger chunks.

Also, have been using Pro-mix HP.

Yes that is true. It misses the point about balanced nutrients though . In order for nitrogen to be useful to the plant in hydroponics it must be presented in high enough concentration for the IONs to be picked up by the roots at a given PH. It is a complex process that I have read and don't care to again. There is a minimum and maximum PPM that is useful. The minimum is ~100 and the Maximum is ~240. Nitrogen is a luxury nutrient and the plant will use it if it is there even beyond what it needs. This actually uses energy the plant could be using elsewhere. Anyhow if the solution is below ~100 PPM the plant is at risk of not getting enough. As far as I know this work has not been done on Autos. It is from tomatoes and lettuce etc. I have done some experimenting and the number that seems to work best is 110 - 115 PPM for N. Each element has it's own numbers.

So balance with the plant's use range and the other elements at the proper PH all need to be in place for balanced nutrients.

Does that make sense?

Now we add media to the mix - pun intended :rofl:. The plant still needs the same nutrient amounts and ratios but and this is a big but different media will have different element holding characteristics and many have persistent additions like dolomite lime. The root biome can become very robust, providing nutrients to the plant. So there is a lot going on in a pot!

The Pro-mix HP is peat based with lots of good microbes in the beginning but if all you feed is MC they will become a minor factor. If you are careful with how you fertigate you don't need run-off. Most peeps will need to do a 10% run-off to prevent a salt build up. Peat holds nutrients better than coco but not as high as compost soils. That is why a Fertigate ,water, water, repeat is a good place to start. Fertigate at the balanced level of 3.5gMC .5g Epsom salt so you know they are going into the pot at the correct ratios, then by having just water days you in essence are diluting it by not adding any more to the pot.

Feeding salt fertilizer to media that is not inert is complicated. This is where the skill in growing comes in. You need to know by looking at the plants if they are hungry or overfed.

Mango,...explain it by ppm ratio...
most are lost with grams..
Whachu smokin' George :baked: PPP. All of the PPMs are listed on the sheet? You need to measure Dry Nutrients by the gram in the volumes we use to be accurate and achieve the PPMs calculated in a solution.

Would foliar (or Transport-assisted) feeding with epsom salts do the job? Any recommended schedule?

You will want to use .35g of that Epsom Salt.
View attachment 1322160

How are you calculating the Elemental ppms? In my calculations and looking at the GL website calculator i see a bit lower numbers than yours... i get for example, +/- 92 ppm of N when using 3.5 g/gal (0.9426 g/Lt) as does the GL calculator .
And in the Epsom Salt calculation I'm getting a bit lower than yours too... in my calculations 0.35 g/gal (0.09246 g/Lt) of my Epsom salts (16% Mg, 13% S), gives me 14.8 ppm Mg and 12 ppm S.

1621949394866.png

I'm basing my calculations on this: http://e-gro.org/pdf/E305.pdf but my math sucks so not sure where i'm messing up.

Last edited:
Off topic but how does one go about getting a cultivators badge? I think i read someone say something about doing a full grow here but I've got a few completed journals and no badge. I see most in here with it and I'm jelly :drool:

Off topic but how does one go about getting a cultivators badge? I think i read someone say something about doing a full grow here but I've got a few completed journals and no badge. I see most in here with it and I'm jelly :drool:

Documented complete grow from seed to final dry weight is the path :thumbsup:

Documented complete grow from seed to final dry weight is the path :thumbsup:
Ahh maybe one of these fine staff can hook me up as I definitely should meet the requirements :smoking:

How are you calculating the Elemental ppms? In my calculations and looking at the GL website calculator i see a bit lower numbers than yours... i get for example, +/- 92 ppm of N when using 3.5 g/gal (0.9426 g/Lt) as does the GL calculator .
And in the Epsom Salt calculation I'm getting a bit lower than yours too... in my calculations 0.35 g/gal (0.09246 g/Lt) of my Epsom salts (16% Mg, 13% S), gives me 14.8 ppm Mg and 12 ppm S.

View attachment 1322290

I'm basing my calculations on this: http://e-gro.org/pdf/E305.pdf but my math sucks so not sure where i'm messing up.
I have worked mine backwards by using the actual PPM readings and the Guaranteed Analysis from the package. There are 3 different MC 1 parts out there. There are problems with using math and there are different ways of calculating it and all of them come out a little different. So you may not be messing up the math. Some of the discrepancy can be coming from the fact that the Guaranteed Analysis I am using is the MINIMUM that should be in the package and it can actually have more!

I will be working with tested numbers soon.

Back