Does Cannabis Use Lead to Poor Memory?

Recent studies say that there can be some short term memory loss. However, that may be filtered thru the fact that many people have only average to poor short term memory anyway. I can remember things better a day later than I can an hour later. I think cannabis use just makes your existing level of retention more obvious to you. And look at the facts that research has shown that cannibiods help repair damage to the brain from diseases. Seems contradictory that it would do damage at the same time.

Actually yes it does Blue and continues until you quit for 30 days.. Recent studies show hippocampus abnormalities while consuming cannabis. More than likely caused by over production of dopamine from being a heavy cannabis user. The research isn't conclusive yet but it is clear since cannabis causes a release of dopamine that the release causes the hippocampus to misfire and there is where the short term memory loss comes from.. Medical tidbit this morning :coffee2:

From another discussion on the site:
Here is some medical proof that it does indeed! Nice explanation DubV thanks!!

Edit: Just a thought, remember (if you can) that a ton of so called medical research is being funded by big pharma. They have a lot to loose if things keep going as they are and just like Mellon in the 30's they are out to shut it down. They will pay folks like universities that rely on their funding to say what they want you to hear. You know like how bad this stuff is for us... Arghhhhhhh...........

First of all none of is "research" can be trusted above our own firsthand experiences. We are the control, the test, the results and interpreters. Do not let something you read change your minds. Something tells me DJ Short would agree wholeheartedly but that's a tangent.

a high school teacher of mine who got her degree in ethnobotany and eutopian societies suggested to me that from her studies, learning is affected by cannabis. It is harder to learn something if you are high as f--- basically. Now, we can get into the differences in chemotype profiles that throw any of this speculation into the trash BUT what my teacher and I seemed to agree on, and my test results reflected this, is that while learning while high on cannabis can TAKE LONGER, your overall potential is not limited by the chemicals. Furthermore, many observations have been made (I'm not calli anything a "study" unless it's unbiased and as of now i think both sides with funding are biased) indicated that you are better able to regurgitate information that you did learn while under the influence of cannabis... Provided that you were also under the influence when remembering.

So, cannabis affects the brain. Cannabis does affect the memory and learning process. I don't think these are just old wives tales but what if thc-v or some equally rare compound is responsible for elevating iq levels, like some "m-d" family designer drugs? I look forward to an independant study conducted in a country that isn't into big pharma and where canna is legal. So, I'll listen to what Spain has to say about it.

A controlled study would involve a magnitude of factors when you consider the spectrum of naturally occurring cannabinoids IMHO FWIW

Recent studies say that there can be some short term memory loss. However, that may be filtered thru the fact that many people have only average to poor short term memory anyway. I can remember things better a day later than I can an hour later. I think cannabis use just makes your existing level of retention more obvious to you. And look at the facts that research has shown that cannibiods help repair damage to the brain from diseases. Seems contradictory that it would do damage at the same time.

Pop please read my post above and reply with your thoughts. We are on the same line of thinking here i believe. Love informative debates!!!

Last edited:
From another discussion on the site:
Here is some medical proof that it does indeed! Nice explanation DubV thanks!!

Edit: Just a thought, remember (if you can) that a ton of so called medical research is being funded by big pharma. They have a lot to loose if things keep going as they are and just like Mellon in the 30's they are out to shut it down. They will pay folks like universities that rely on their funding to say what they want you to hear. You know like how bad this stuff is for us... Arghhhhhhh...........

That specific study was not funded by big pharma. It came to no conclusion other than cannabis causes a reward release of dopamine which in turn causes misfiring in the hippocampus. Hippocampus is the center of all memory function in the brain and this misfiring causes memory loss temporarily. They did find if you quit cannabis for 30 days. The memory returns for heavy users. However more research needs to be done. The big issue I think that needs addressed is brain cells. As a brain cell has a determined life span and we know for a fact, that over excited brain cells die quicker than normal brain cells. Does cannabis cause early death of brain cells? No one knows as of yet. Alochol and psychodelics do over excite brain cells and cause faster deterioration for sure though..

Pop please read my post above and reply with your thoughts. We are on the same line of thinking here i believe. Love informative debates!!!

No doubt we're on the same page. I credit the report I read as being neutral, It made no point if saying cannibinoids were detrimental only that there seemed to be a correlation to a small amount of short term memory loss. It also stated further study was needed to consider factors not included in that study, ie, frequency of use, etc. At least it gave no ammo to those that still spout that the evil weed rots your brain....lol!

Thanks DubV That's good to know. I kinda figured, but there is so much misinformation out there camouflaged to look like valid scientific data you really have to be sure of your sources, and even then!

I'll try to look this up and source it futher than to just say I read it in smoke signals.
Cannabis has nero regenerative properties. There for.....brain cells come back, repaired, and or new. In dementia and Alzheimer patient plac builds causeing some of the problems with memory an what not. Cannabis helps with that too. Maybe its NOT so much about pot affecting or bains as it is the approach we are taking to look at it. The brain is affected when smoking pot, those affects tend to wear with discontinuation. What are the trade offs to the changes that were made while using????? Is it permanent? What are the over all benefits?

Maybe pots benies would be more pronounced if we weren't shoveling tons of toxic shit into our systems and the environment, as a whole, all the time we ate or breathed.
Just my onion.

I'll try to look this up and source it futher than to just say I read it in smoke signals.
Cannabis has nero regenerative properties. There for.....brain cells come back, repaired, and or new. In dementia and Alzheimer patient plac builds causeing some of the problems with memory an what not. Cannabis helps with that too. Maybe its NOT so much about pot affecting or bains as it is the approach we are taking to look at it. The brain is affected when smoking pot, those affects tend to wear with discontinuation. What are the trade offs to the changes that were made while using????? Is it permanent? What are the over all benefits?

Maybe pots benies would be more pronounced if we weren't shoveling tons of toxic shit into our systems and the environment, as a whole, all the time we ate or breathed.
Just my onion.

Maybe the cannibinoids just sort of interrupt things while its doing its work. No study has ever shown any type of permanent damage of any kind. I don't know about other people, but I've never smoked so much ( and I've been in smokeout contest in my younger days...LOL ) that I didn't remember what happened after. Can't say that about a couple of times drinking....

No doubt we're on the same page. I credit the report I read as being neutral, It made no point if saying cannibinoids were detrimental only that there seemed to be a correlation to a small amount of short term memory loss. It also stated further study was needed to consider factors not included in that study, ie, frequency of use, etc. At least it gave no ammo to those that still spout that the evil weed rots your brain....lol!

What were we talking about?
oh yeah, memory loss. I jest, because this is very interesting to me and I wonder if the devil's weed just makes us less interested in boring things, which we subsequently have trouble recalling bc we paid little attention to begin with, on account of that beautiful song that was on the radio at the time LOL

Back