Does Cannabis Use Lead to Poor Memory?

Not as much as being on a drunken stupor. How many times have you regretted something you did when you were shit faced drunk and couldn't remember what happen.

Give me Cannabis any day.

I like to think that it effects everyone differently.

I fall apart if I haven't had a smoke. My concentration and memory deteriorate and im good for pretty much nothing! Although that also happens if I smoke too much haha!

I try and find the sweet spot

Let me think, I used to know the answer to that. :grin: Seriously, in my case I have to say no. But I've always had a good memory and I work at keeping it sharp.

I blame Obama

Guys just getting old effects your memory .. cannabis is the lightest most effective drug in the world with little to no side effects.. if you feel your memory is lacking there are ways to improve it ..

ummm What was the question again...?

People have often remarked on my ability to remember things. One reason is I have an active inquiring mind that just loves learning new and interesting stuff.
The fact I am interested in something plays a massive part in remembering things.
A case in point is films, I watch films as entertainment. pure escapism sit back and let it roll and afterwards I'm just happy to had not to think about anything too hard.
So, the point is I really don't remember all the details of a film because I am not putting any importance to it and I have no interest in remembering what was this or that , Where as a film buff will tell you what happened step by step and who was in it and who was not etc because it is important to them , it is their choosen thing to converse with others about.

When we get stoned we enter a different head state where what is important is seen differently because we we are shit faced, in a land of what could be called escapism. We choose to do this, but think of certain stories you remember when in that state, you can tell them to your friends blow by blow to the minutest detail. The reason why is because at that time you were focused/intersted on the event unfolding at that time, no matter that you were stoned at the time.

When we are stoned everything has less importance, we get stoned because it is pleasurable not to have shit to deal with and want to just lay back and relax, which is not to say sometime in this state of mind, we won't find somethings memorable because it is so poignant to our state of mind and whats going on around us.

As I get older and my brain is slowly calcifing the plasticity of our synapses reduces and the ability to create new neural pathways and so it is harder to remember things, especially in the short term.
Long term memory is more hard wired and easier to remember, one of the reason we get set in our ways and find new tech harder to work out.
VCR's was one example, when I was young a lot of old people said I can't work out how to program the damn thing but my 7 year old grandson knows how, same thing happens today with smart phones, older people use it as a phone, where as young people are doing a million thing with them and using a multitude of apps etc

I've been a cannabis user for 25 years and cannabis does not affect my life in any way from day to day when I need to remember something, my mind is working just as it should, but when I decide to leave all my shit behind me and get stoned or even watch a film don't expect me to have a moment by moment detailed memory of it because right at that moment I'm not in a state of mind to remember, in fact almost the complete opposite, I'm relaxed and content and letting it all drift by.

Having said that if should I find my self in a situation, where I am stoned and need to pull my shit together, I can go from one state of mind to another, becoming more alert and having a more highly functioning state of mind, but I will still be intoxicated which still has an effect on decision making and response times but my memory is up and functioning again, due to an interest in self preservation or whatever situation I need to deal with etc

Last edited:
Back