Does the VA test for THC?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
White Widow, Mazar, Northern Lights, Blue Dream
I'm a vet and just enrolled in the VA Healthcare system due to financial necessity. The doctor I am assigned to met with me and asked a long list of health related questions including do you use illegal drugs including marijuana...to which I answered no. I have been using MJ lately to help anxiety, but felt I shouldn't disclose this fact.

I am scheduled in 2 weeks for a blood panel workup so they can evaluate my general health and establish a baseline. My fear is the VA will do a THC screening, so is this something that may be done in the blood profile?

I'm a vet and just enrolled in the VA Healthcare system due to financial necessity. The doctor I am assigned to met with me and asked a long list of health related questions including do you use illegal drugs including marijuana...to which I answered no. I have been using MJ lately to help anxiety, but felt I shouldn't disclose this fact.

I am scheduled in 2 weeks for a blood panel workup so they can evaluate my general health and establish a baseline. My fear is the VA will do a THC screening, so is this something that may be done in the blood profile?
Yes...the VA may drug test you, especially if you are prescribed opiates. That being said, I'm completely honest about my canna use (I use canna for everything...pain, sleeping, depression, ptsd etc) and my Doc doesn't say anything, or drug test me. The VA is well aware that a lot of vets use cannabis, and honestly...there isn't much they can do, aside from with hold opiate meds.

That does not mean you won't get some type of label in your record from your Doc. Mine says "cannabis use disorder" :crying::crying: Thats all it is, just a label. Hope it helps.

Have they rolled back Vets signing that they will only use what the VA prescribes?
I think they do that if you take any type of opiate or benzo medication. I don't think cannabis falls into that category. Back when I was taking those types of meds I had to sign something to that affect, but I still always used cannabis. I was up front the entire time that I wanted to use cannabis regardless of the other meds I was on, and eventually wanted to try to use only cannabis (which is what I do now). Some docs didn't really like it, and would tell me that, but it never went any farther. I was never denied any services or anything like that.

I have never been openly honest about it with them. I have never been drug tested by the VA to my knowledge. I have not been directly asked if I use cannabis either. If they ever ask me I will be honest about though.

I have a friend who's wife is a doctor (internist) in the private sector. She says many THC tests are coming back positive for folks who legitimately are using and buying CBD oils and products. These oils seems to contain enough THC to show positive, but users don't necessarily feel a psychoactive high from the oil.
containing
I expect that CBD oils will be reviewed more closely by the FDA in the future. These products may be a "loophole" for oils containing THC in illegal states.

She says many THC tests are coming back positive for folks who legitimately are using and buying CBD oils and products.
Much of that can depend on where you buy. The good ones sell CBD that contains no more than 0.3% THC. Also, everybody's biology, is to a degree, different in acceptance.

Back