Indoor DogterB's DIY Octopot Wannabe - Run #1

Question, what do people prefer for trimming? I started with wet trimming and saving trim for bubble hash. Recently I’ve tried dry trimming, and saving the trim for edibles. I’m not sure which I prefer. I feel like my buds come out looking better with a wet trim, but it’s a long stint in trim jail. With the dry trimming, I feel like it’s harder to get all the leaves off but it doesn’t take as long.

Question, what do people prefer for trimming? I started with wet trimming and saving trim for bubble hash. Recently I’ve tried dry trimming, and saving the trim for edibles. I’m not sure which I prefer. I feel like my buds come out looking better with a wet trim, but it’s a long stint in trim jail. With the dry trimming, I feel like it’s harder to get all the leaves off but it doesn’t take as long.
Personally I wet trim the fan leaves off before drying and then do a dry trim of everything else after with my bowl trimmer using scissors to do final cleanup before bagging. I can usually get through a 4-6 oz plant in about 1-2 hours depending on how dry and or leafy it is. I hate trimming and this is the quickest/easiest way for me to get through it and not take 4-6 hours a plant.

If I was growing smaller plants and less I would hand trim but 9+ plants a run trimming gets old quick for me lol

Personally I wet trim the fan leaves off before drying and then do a dry trim of everything else after with my bowl trimmer using scissors to do final cleanup before bagging. I can usually get through a 4-6 oz plant in about 1-2 hours depending on how dry and or leafy it is. I hate trimming and this is the quickest/easiest way for me to get through it and not take 4-6 hours a plant.

If I was growing smaller plants and less I would hand trim but 9+ plants a run trimming gets old quick for me lol
Right on, do you dry trim so you can use the bowl trimmer? I have a hard time getting all the small leafy bits off with a dry trim and it can get a little harsh on the lungs. A trimmer would be nice but I only harvest a plant at a time and can’t justify buying one

Right on, do you dry trim so you can use the bowl trimmer? I have a hard time getting all the small leafy bits off with a dry trim and it can get a little harsh on the lungs. A trimmer would be nice but I only harvest a plant at a time and can’t justify buying one
Greetings @DogterB , and welcome to AFN.

I just trim by hand, so far only a wet trim. I rarely have to do more than a plant or two at a time, and don't mind that too much. I might consider a bowl trimmer at some point, but have not bothered yet. Now, if I could figure out how to DIY one... :biggrin: (Hello, my name is OlderFart, and I have a DIY problem). :biggrin:

Most of what I have read suggests that dry trimming is a bit more of a nuisance due to the sugar leaves curling tight to the buds and being a nuisance to remove. but some here prefer it. I can't advise whether leaving well sugared sugar leaves would affect harshness, but I guess it is possible. The trim jobs I see here vary hugely regarding how many sugar leaves are left, some, including me when I started this mischief, leave virtually none, others leave lots. I would have thought that a good cure would sort harshness, leaves or no, but don't have the experience to help with your decision. If I were you, I would set up a careful test, some with sugars, some without. In any case, I would not leave anything on the buds unless it was well crusted with trichs.

Anyway mate, enjoy your well earned bud, and good luck with your studies. :pighug:

I just trim by hand, so far only a wet trim. I rarely have to do more than a plant or two at a time, and don't mind that too much. I might consider a bowl trimmer at some point, but have not bothered yet. Now, if I could figure out how to DIY one... :biggrin: (Hello, my name is OlderFart, and I have a DIY problem). :biggrin:

Most of what I have read suggests that dry trimming is a bit more of a nuisance due to the sugar leaves curling tight to the buds and being a nuisance to remove. but some here prefer it. I can't advise whether leaving well sugared sugar leaves would affect harshness, but I guess it is possible. The trim jobs I see here vary hugely regarding how many sugar leaves are left, some, including me when I started this mischief, leave virtually none, others leave lots. I would have thought that a good cure would sort harshness, leaves or no, but don't have the experience to help with your decision. If I were you, I would set up a careful test, some with sugars, some without. In any case, I would not leave anything on the buds unless it was well crusted with trichs.

Anyway mate, enjoy your well earned bud, and good luck with your studies. :pighug:
Thanks @Olderfart! Yeah when I dry trim, the sugar leaves are a pain when they are all curled over hugging the bud. I may be with you on the wet trim. Either way I save it all! Working on saving up for an Ardent FX so I can try to expand to good edibles

Yes and no, it has a wet blade and a dry blade but I found it works better with the dry. I hate having leafy parts on my buds as well and I find the bowl trimmer gets me about 90% of the way.

And I can get what you mean. I thought of it as an hourly perspective compared to what my time is worth. And the amount of time it saves me it paid for itself after the first plant so I decided to go with it.

I'm evolving towards minimal trimming, some of the bud I'm growing had more trichs on the sugar leaves than on the bud!

Just wanted to throw some pics of some buds curing
9FF9552B-EBF8-498D-BBCD-059A8E0AE142.jpeg

Double grape

FB18A208-6AD9-41A8-99BF-D119CA36830F.jpeg
37966E21-E3DE-4DBB-8053-E04B5F3790E4.jpeg

Afghan Skunk

Sorry for lack of updates! My camera on my phone went to crap so I don’t have any pics, but the Ogreberry and Twisted Puppy have come down. Just the Froot by the Foot left. The Ogreberry smells soooo good! A very earthy scent with just a little fruity twist. I smell it and think of being deep in the woods picking berries. Everything I’ve cut has been dried and into curing jars. Once the FBTF gets chopped and dried, I’ll weigh out everything and see where I ended up. And once I get a new phone, I’ll get some pics up

Chopped Froot by the Foot last night. Super sticky. This one stalled out for the longest time, due to my errors, but eventually turned into this. One of the best if not the best yielded this run. Smells fantastic, sweet and creamy
99058A6B-384E-43F6-BC49-0BDACBB34E9A.jpeg
CFDC8FD0-5D8B-40B3-8C4E-176AE3E1CCB8.jpeg
1B280B1D-6360-429C-8C3E-3FAB9E035799.jpeg
3FAAE396-D4E1-4F63-AAC3-7C70365AD8D4.jpeg
2A83F7C8-C722-45FA-8E4C-7B6DDBD0691B.jpeg
BE6818BF-CBF8-41C6-B045-370BB68CDEAD.jpeg
88B48F29-5AC7-4999-9F37-6116CEA97467.jpeg
721FE158-22F1-47B8-9892-18971BA27BC2.jpeg
55BA210C-A7CF-4A13-884E-E37EFACEBBEB.jpeg
6D941156-CC1D-422C-BC4A-55FE488B35B5.jpeg
2AB5F938-50F5-48BF-8EFF-546A854A62A7.jpeg
1CCC3A06-8B9A-44B7-BBA3-CD142F4CC4D9.jpeg