Old Reviews Egzoset's 6th Year DiY Challenge for VaporGenie pipe Owners

Egzoset

Qualified Live Stoner
Reaction score
Salutations,

LEGALEEZE stuff

Please feel welcome to appreciate Egzoset's "LAVA" conceptual yet most enthousiast (and donated...) extension to VaporGenie's intellectual property, initially invented by Dan Steinberg nearly 2 decades ago, then rightfully patented (US7434584-B2) and published in 2008.

Consequently lets keep in mind this is actually foccussed on legit VG owners prepared to void the warranty in order to explore possible DiY upgrades, hopefully inspired by my present personal 6th year testimony. In addition be advised that all requests involving material, commerce, services and/or even exchanges shall be promptly rejected simply because IT'S A HOBBY (e.g. centered on free cognitive contributions illustrated by a photo collection)...

Since 2010 the driving force of Egzoset ain't ever been mercantile trade, not even a tiny bit and that's all there is to say about the social "context" (e.g. pay no attention to anyone pretending that's for self-serving financial benefit or similar ego-centric advancement)! The one thing to be found here has to do with "sharing the fun", nothing else. As a result the purpose of my 6th-year dedicated thread is strictly restricted to providing eventual instructions on how to perform a transformation so that others than myself can acquire an independent capability to DUPLICATE & PEER REVIEW, the rest WILL be considered as potential hostile (obstructive) noise destined to be managed accordingly.

In other words no apparent advertising here is real, it's a parody (seasoned with a mix of fantasy & proof-of-concept) merely intended to entertain while equally suggesting what the forgotten Fig. 11/12 item of Steinberg's registered patent could have become, twenty-some years later...

full

That was "then", when i re-discovered the VG pipe, with lots of background:
External resources as TinyPic and Google indexed a fair amount of it, use "KeyWord Expressions" to browse through years worth of pictures.

For example this is "now":

full

And it's consecutive to translating this:

full

full

...into that:

full

full

Currently about to conclude favorably on relocating the main (handle) "PinHole" directly next to a top's Hybrid Core itself... 1st-hand experience required.

full

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Salutations,

A more complete set of pictures starting in 2010 has been added to my dedicated Google Photos album which can now be reached conveniently via Tumblr, or just by using this link as provided right below:

[ https://photos.app.goo.gl/vYjgGjcaxkoEv2HD8 ]
Semi DiY Challenge(s)​

Good day have fun!! :peace:

Salutations,

A full year passed since i started to investigate Full-Metal tops for my Customized VaporGenie pipes, while more recently half of it got dedicated to defining a universal Split-Path PinHole system offering simultaneous enhanced compatibility between both direct On-Top and On-Handle manual control scenarios. At 1st variations were explored which involved drilling tiny 3/64" or #53 ~ #55 (dia.) holes into relatively hard metal, most unfortunately this didn't really invite duplication as it required difficult to find precision drill bits or perhaps even plain Electrical Discharge Machining... In retrospective i finally realized the gain from depending on tiny holes would only prove marginal while a single/easy twin-cut could spare the need for any DeLuxe drilling at all and yet offer similar performance, the difference being clearly illustrated below:

full
Take note my left-side customized VG Monobloc has a refurbished VG 7.2 mm tall/deep "Ring-Bowl" screwed on top of it; that's important because a ¾" / 19 mm (O.D.) confinement mark must be drawn on the flat annular Mating Surface in order to simplify such twin-cutting task as implemented by my center item, much more obvious below as it looks red under a more favourable angle:

full
Actually this detail makes it a "brain-dead" venture because all one has to pay attention to is this simple requirement: stop cutting halfway to that red perimeter mark and it shall automatically ensure only a very thin metal barrier remains which is conveniently punched-through from behind using nothing more than a fine sharp/hard nail - provided the user wishes to obtain manual fingertip control of his On-Top PinHole path directly from that spherical top itself, shown next:

full
The operator's index finger usually sits on that external PinHole setting site except during Pre-Heating, though leaving its auxiliary PinHole path functional in case it's combined with a modified Classic handle (wood or aluminium), instead of the Bronze Sherlock model. Although this may sound counter-intuitive i found out that both sides of such Split-Path could co-exist and still retain proper "pumping" action to promote airflow movement (in addition to a radical dynamics shift from injecting fresh air inside)...

This particular snapshot shows how it looks from behind a Classic Aluminium Bowl, separated from its metal handle counterpart. In the case of a wood Classic handle its somewhat smaller bowl perimeter would still perform sealed confinement of the auxiliary path but only if the cutting stopped halfway to the red mark, as i just explained. Using a wood Classic pipe it's possible to retain handle-side PinHole operation via the addition of a (blue) confinement wall as demonstrated in my "4-20" Minion Edition:

full
Keep in mind that coupling with the handle PH path only requires a tiny cut on the bowl's edge, even 2 as that may feel more convenient using a straight metal saw:

full
Airflow restriction is set at the finger-resting site anyway, not to mention the owner may decide to choose a permanent PinHole setup instead:

full
full
full
full
Quite honestly i'd reserve the single-cut permanent PH solution to cases when only a straight metal saw is available, while depending on a drill tool as illustrated next feels so much more rewarding:

full
The important feature here is this cutter's actual diameter considering 1½" is exactly what it takes for my brain-dead scenario to work as observed.

:wiz:

N.B.: The less a flat annular Mating Surface is scratched the better that is. Permanent cut-through alternatives were the result of preliminary experiments i can no longer recommend.

Here's the intended internal PinHole configuration:

full
full
Even if all VaporGenie Monoblocs were already reconfigured like this they'd still remain completely compatible with *ALL* Classic/Bronze Sherlock handles, be it made of wood, aluminium or brass - genuine or otherwise. Spheres built from wood are relatively more forgiving as these allow straightforward airtight confinement (it adapts a bit thanks to deformation...), their major inconvenient being some longer Flame-Catcher path which results from moving its associated Core closer to its (bowl) WorkLoad once divided as a Hybrid Core (shared between the main and auxiliary core cavities), because although it continues to work fine with yellow flames i'm afraid a longer funnel tends to accumulate extra-hot exhaust gases which in turn cause self-extinction of blue "jet" flames.

Long ago i suffered multiple skin burns because of wood spherical tops, today it's a thing of the past as i've definitively transitioned to Full-Metal Tops instead:

full
My next objective is to give it a round shape so it better conforms to the original design of Dan Steinberg. Apparently an ideal depth/height should range around 23 mm if it's going to support both yellow and blue flames; an even shorter brass Top was OKay for use with my Bronze Sherlock handle but it always felt too massive.

In the end this is what my coneptual extention of the VaporGenie design is aiming for:

full
My single Customized VG Pipe proposal would offer improved "Plan-B" experience while paving the way to future IH-driven "Plan-A" LAVACapsule explorations (pass-through or center-converging). Once there clean-burning butane should be considered as a fall-back alternative for rare cases when there's no sufficient battery charge left, which reminds me it's about time i explain how i dealt with the Energy Budget as well, but 1st lets see how the ritual departs from VG's genuine model exactly:

full
VaporGenie instructs the operator to proceed with heating + inhalation slow & steady, which i find somewhat similar to the passage of an electric flow via some series-resistor connected in parallel with a delay-inducing capacitor...

In "Micro-Bursting" this aspect has been significantly diminished to promote better separation between the Pre-Heating phase (#1) and a Release/Transport (Inhalation) one (#2); e.g. its heat pulse having much less Attack/Decay time wasted over parasitic BAKING/denaturation... So, initially a Heat Charge is temporarily stored into my Hybrid Core, i've roughly evaluated it to range around 100 Joules; maybe half, maybe twice but not as far as fivefold:

full
Omni Calculator - Cylinder Volume Calculator​

full
Omni Calculator - Density​
full
Omni Calculator - Specific Heat Calculator​
Separate Pre-Heat, Release/Transport and optionally Post-Vaporisation Activation phases create enough room to eventually explore a feature i 1st heard about in times when Enrico Bouchard worked on his Sublimator: 2-stage heating apparently generated even smaller microscopic droplets capable of passing the alveolar/bloodstream barrier more easily. That's one more good reason to want to play with a 2-cores capsule having a pair of heating stages located both before and after my bowl...

By the way, calulations are based on a 17-Holes Metal Disc as defined previously, except i used 12.55 mm (dia.) to account for the 6 heat-decoupling pads added more recently to my concept:

full
There's plenty of tolerance allowing for simultaneous support of both clean-burning butane and IH-driving modes. Each puff is still expected to cost 25 ~ 30 mg, going gradually from fair to faint as a ~125 mg bowl gets depleted.

Please consider that "Plan-B" is only providing an approximative analog perspective where operator skills remain of paramount importance, with an eye on future IH-driven digital-precision metered dosing as a future achievement; the ultimate DeLuxe conclusion being when it will be finally possible to include Inlet Water (or perhaps e-Liquid) as a final Self-Moisturizing + Potentializing touch. After all i used VaporGenie's pipe as a "Prototyping Platform" for a good reason: Dan Steinberg was quite intuitive when he chose space-age Silicon Carbide Foam for his core considering it's highly compatible with extra-hot exhaust gases (read "Inlet Water"), though i wish he had implemented his Fig. 11/12 item as well...

:pop:

Still awaiting for INDEPENDENT DUPLICATION + PEER REVIEW, someday soon hopefully!

Good day, Have fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Update:

Some recent hint involved "Micro-Bursting" as a co-factor possibly agravating tooth decay. As a result i promptly concluded some excess energy needs to get removed before it even reaches my cotton ball - which, by the way, happens to be a task my Near-Symetrical LAVACapsule configured for "Plan-B" mode would perform via its 2nd Hybrid Core (then also assuming the double-function of a post-vaporization particles filter, but not only):
full

With this inside each of the 2 half-cores:

full

Once made IH-compatible this should practically turn maintenance into a non-issue, perhaps at the cost of a few clever tricks yet to explore i figure; meanwhile i still feel no urging rush to actively engage into any Induction Heat project if there ain't going to be "Inlet Water" in it for me anyway, so i'm stuck with clean-burning butane (e.g. "Plan-B") exactly.

By chance the large decompression chamber of a water accessory can also causes some major temperature drop, away/prior to said cotton ball:
full
DIY Projects and Home Solutions - DiY Challenge: evaluate Moist Impulse Mode, Packetized Micro-Dosing, maybe even Mithridatism! (2021-Jan-9)

Its glass bottom gets temporarily warm to the touch at most...

Maybe i'd want to check if a simple SiC Foam pellet wouldn't fully enable my cust. VG pipes again by intercepting energy from their respective cannabic streams (before the cotton ball). What i can tell is that such change of consumption tool already challenges my appreciation of aroma/taste quite seriously as it is, enough to regret having to agree to such trade-off in exchange for something as futile as relative simplicity...

It just won't fit my usual transport leather pouch anymore but this present exploratory solution provides some relief by not being obligated to put water inside. An obviously-apparent energy "Pulse-Stretching" effect adds so much delay it leads to a blurred experience that gives me some persistent impression i may have effectively left the domain of "Micro-Bursting" after all!

Briefly put, so far the "Harm Reduction" value of all previous work seems badly deprecated in terms of *DOSING* (itself normally useful in promoting self-awareness...), while new operator skills might even be required as that's clearly party-size right now!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Back