Everclear tinctures

@StickMan @A4 @Root

Hey guys I have been using 190 everclear for tincture, and a friend bought a bottle of 151...will the potency be similar to the 190? Could it be cooked a bit longer than you would with the 190 to have similar potency?

@912GreenSkell

!51 is all I used for the first couple of years I was making GDT, and it works just fine with the same cook time as the 190 proof. Now that I think about it, I could not tell much difference at all in potency. So, I would say go for it, and make it just how you have been with the 190.

Hope this helps my friend,

Peace

@912GreenSkell

!51 is all I used for the first couple of years I was making GDT, and it works just fine with the same cook time as the 190 proof. Now that I think about it, I could not tell much difference at all in potency. So, I would say go for it, and make it just how you have been with the 190.

Hope this helps my friend,

Peace

Excellent!! Interesting I would have thought the higher concentration would "hold more" thc. I just found out I can get 151 and 190 in Alberta, so that should make it much easier than border smuggles...lol
Thanks for the info bud!!

The higher proof won't hold more THC but it will extract more. It is just being used in place of an industrial solvent. Regardless, I am with Stick, I don't think there would be noticeable differences. Probably measurable but who has a liquid chromatography system sitting around, lol.

As for the cooking, not sure if you are referring to the decarb or boiling off the alcohol. The longer you boil off the alcohol the more intense the tincture but it is pretty simple to do a rough guesstimate on what you will have. If you weigh out your flowers, and have an estimate of the potency from the vendor, take for example DP Skunk [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] is 8.1% THC. Say you have 20 grams of Skunk [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] flowers at 8.1% then effectively you have the possibility of extracting 20 * .081 = 1.62 grams of pure THC under absolute optimal conditions(which isn't obtainable by the way). Then say you used 1 liter(1000ml) of solution and reduced it by boiling down to 100ml. That would give you 1.62 grams in 100 ml of liquid. Since 1 liter of liquid weighs 1kg at room temperature we know that 100ml would weigh 100 grams. So your 100 ml solution would be ~ 1.62% THC for every ml of liquid. Let's say you boiled it down to 10ml then you would have 16.2% THC for every ml of liquid. If you split the baby at 50 ml you would have 8.1% THC. So, the longer your reducing, the higher the potency. One word on that, as the liquid evaporates, the temperature rises so you will have to reduce you temps as you go or you will end up boiling off some of the THC. Keep an infrared temperature gun handy and continually shoot it into the liquid. They are cheap at one of the big box stores and worth their weight in gold for checking temps in an oven for decarb or boiling pot for reducing.

As for the percentages, it would then be pretty easy to figure your tolerance level and compare what you drink in tincture to what you smoke. Simply take the weight of your normal bowl of flower. Say it is 1 gram and you normally cash it out by yourself. Using the same numbers of 8.1% THC then you would be smoking approximately .081 grams of pure THC. Comparing that to the 50 ml tincture, 50ml = 50 grams at 8.1% THC = 50 * .081 = 4.05 grams THC per 50ml. It is pretty easy to see that every ml of liquid would equal 1 bowl. Granted those are all optimal conditions which I know no one will be able to achieve but it gives a good starting point to know where to dose at. Couple that with the fact that stomach absorption isn't going to be able the same as smoking. That should put it safely within the "I am glad I didn't take any more" area, lol. Regardless, you can see how someone could get seriously fucked up. 1ml doesn't look like much in a dosing dropper but it compares to one bowl of reefer. Not trying to scare anyone away but more information is always better when experimenting because it can be some potent material and there ain't much coming down when you drink it for some reason. I have noticed the high lasts so much longer and just continues to intensify as the hours go on.

Hope that helps and maybe helps some others that want to approximate the potency of tincture.

The higher proof won't hold more THC but it will extract more. It is just being used in place of an industrial solvent. Regardless, I am with Stick, I don't think there would be noticeable differences. Probably measurable but who has a liquid chromatography system sitting around, lol.

As for the cooking, not sure if you are referring to the decarb or boiling off the alcohol. The longer you boil off the alcohol the more intense the tincture but it is pretty simple to do a rough guesstimate on what you will have. If you weigh out your flowers, and have an estimate of the potency from the vendor, take for example DP Skunk [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] is 8.1% THC. Say you have 20 grams of Skunk [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] flowers at 8.1% then effectively you have the possibility of extracting 20 * .081 = 1.62 grams of pure THC under absolute optimal conditions(which isn't obtainable by the way). Then say you used 1 liter(1000ml) of solution and reduced it by boiling down to 100ml. That would give you 1.62 grams in 100 ml of liquid. Since 1 liter of liquid weighs 1kg at room temperature we know that 100ml would weigh 100 grams. So your 100 ml solution would be ~ 1.62% THC for every ml of liquid. Let's say you boiled it down to 10ml then you would have 16.2% THC for every ml of liquid. If you split the baby at 50 ml you would have 8.1% THC. So, the longer your reducing, the higher the potency. One word on that, as the liquid evaporates, the temperature rises so you will have to reduce you temps as you go or you will end up boiling off some of the THC. Keep an infrared temperature gun handy and continually shoot it into the liquid. They are cheap at one of the big box stores and worth their weight in gold for checking temps in an oven for decarb or boiling pot for reducing.

As for the percentages, it would then be pretty easy to figure your tolerance level and compare what you drink in tincture to what you smoke. Simply take the weight of your normal bowl of flower. Say it is 1 gram and you normally cash it out by yourself. Using the same numbers of 8.1% THC then you would be smoking approximately .081 grams of pure THC. Comparing that to the 50 ml tincture, 50ml = 50 grams at 8.1% THC = 50 * .081 = 4.05 grams THC per 50ml. It is pretty easy to see that every ml of liquid would equal 1 bowl. Granted those are all optimal conditions which I know no one will be able to achieve but it gives a good starting point to know where to dose at. Couple that with the fact that stomach absorption isn't going to be able the same as smoking. That should put it safely within the "I am glad I didn't take any more" area, lol. Regardless, you can see how someone could get seriously fucked up. 1ml doesn't look like much in a dosing dropper but it compares to one bowl of reefer. Not trying to scare anyone away but more information is always better when experimenting because it can be some potent material and there ain't much coming down when you drink it for some reason. I have noticed the high lasts so much longer and just continues to intensify as the hours go on.

Hope that helps and maybe helps some others that want to approximate the potency of tincture.

Wow...thanks so much for that response A4. What I was referring to was the boiling time, but you answered it better than I could have imagined! Again thanks so much for your time. I always test a batch before instead of assume its like any others I have made as I use different kinds of bud all the time. Usually 1.5ml for social pain relief, 2 ml for heavy pain control, 2.5-3ml gets out of control, but usually puts me to sleep after a couple of hours of feeling too high. I wouldn't want to cross the 3ml line with any of the tincture I have made(around a dozen varieties so far).
You are absolutely right A4 in warning...tincture is ridiculous in potency, and once you take it you can't shut it down. People need to be smart about the dosage with tincture.

I can only get 95% when my friend comes from La Belle Provence. Even the 151 is getting harder to find. 151 works good, but you do pick up a wee bit more chlorophyll.

I notice that for me, anyways, tolerance builds quickly with tincture so I use it only for a few days at a time. I have also noticed that the effects of a tincture can have a similar personality as its vaporized starting material.

Thanks A4, for clearly showing your math. I always thought that that is the correct way, but I started to wonder...
I have read that the 8.1% THC refers to the percentage of total cannabinoids that is THC, rather than the percentage of THC per gram of plant material.
If that is true, we would need to also know the percentage of plant material that is cannabinoids and how efficient our extraction is in order to know how many milligrams of THC we are dealing with. Following this, if you reduce it to 2/1, your brew would still have around THC 8% of total cannabinoids, but in a more concentrated form.

My collective has chromatography onsite, but analysis costs $100 and I am only making my own medicine. All I can say for sure is plain: "60gm (strain) / 500ml alc, reduced to 125ml" or "2gm cannabis/ml". At the end of the day, every batch starts low and slow until I know how potent it is.

The progression of many is truly great. I know many, many people are seeing the benefits of canna, and the harm that pharmas are causing. If only there was a way we could keep the plants in the hands of those who actually need it, and not the greedy commercial growers and their $400 an ounce herb.
A-men

Back