Everclear tinctures

G.Leave

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have heard a few times that tinctures are the most effective way for pain reduction using cannabis. SO I have to give it a try!!! 190 proof Everclear isn't available here in our section of Cannada, but I have a friend that is currently in the parts of Cannada that do sell everclear so she is going to pick up a couple of bottles.
Is it imperative that top grade bud is used for the tincture? Every year I have ample extra bud that has lots of visual crystal but is too under formed to bother trimming, so it gets made into cookies and bubble hash. Would that be suitable to make quality tinctures? Perhaps I could run multiple batches though the same batch of everclear to strengthen the solution further? I am going to make a small sample batches of tincture with every strain I have to find which works best.

Hello 912, I have a lot of experience with everclear tinctures. What are you looking for in a tincture and I will do my best to give you some information on how to make it. To answer a couple of your first questions, you don't have to have 190 but it is better. Just about any neutral spirit will work, preferably above 120 but of course the higher the percentage, the quicker the extraction.

Top shelf bud isn't necessary and depending on what you are looking for in a tincture, may even be a waste. It looks like you are looking for pain relief. Are you dealing with inflammation or any other medical issues specifically that you want to address with the tincture? Give me some info and I will give you some of my recipes that should help.

It looks like I should have the 190 to work with, so that's good. :)
I have severe chronic pain caused by 2 ruptured discs in my upper neck(c5/c6- c6/c7) so pain control is the ultimate goal. Very happy to hear that buds don't have to be top quality, as I usually have lots of extra under formed flower to play with.

Edit- How rude of me...thanks for the help A4!

Last edited:
Great with the 190. I have already had back surgery myself so I feel you on that. With the ruptured discs then the anti-inflammatory properties are going to be big as well because a lot of that pain is going to come from inflammation surrounding the nerves and increased pressure in that area.

So, my main recipe for my back pain is what I call 50/50. I never smoke indica but if you have it this will be the go to flower for this tincture. One reason because of the sedative properties of the indica but the main reason is because most indicas contain more CBD than your sativa dom varieties. Not always but as a general rule.

So you will want half fresh buds, trimmed or not, doesn't matter. Half stems and leaves by weight. Say 50 grams flowers, 50 grams stems and leaves. Take them all and you will want to decarb them. I use a small countertop oven. Put them on a broiling rack, the ones that have a wire mesh in the bottom so you get good air circulation. Set the temp at 240F and put everything in the over for 1 hour. I use a digital thermometer like you get for turkeys and put it in the tray, not touching the metal, so I can keep the temp at around 240. With mine, I set it at 250 and crack the door a little so the air circulates well. That will decarb your flowers and convert the THCA and CDBA to THC and CBD. If you want it more sedative you will want to bump the temp to about 300F. Your THC will then begin converting to CBN but this time only leave it for about 30 minutes.

So, once your flowers are decarbed you will take the flowers, stems and leaves and they should be nice and crunchy. Chop them up a little making sure to do it over a pan or glass plate so you can contain any of the THC that will easily come off of the flowers now. Put all of it into a half gallon glass container that you can seal. I use half gallon mason jars but anything that can be sealed will work. Fill the container with everclear. It won't take much because the mixture will be taking up a lot of room. Seal it, shake it vigorously and check to make sure all of your dry mixture is submerged in everclear. Once it is all under alcohol you will want to shake it vigorously a few times a day. I have read people say to let it set for weeks, honestly, I have never noticed any increase in potency for that long. Three days is plenty. Just remember to shake it every time you walk by it.

So, after three days or so, take it out of the container and strain, squeeze the once dry mix to free up the remainder of the tincture from it. You will have an excellent quality tincture at that point.

This step isn't necessary but I do it to increase potency and decrease the amount of tincture I need to store. Using a water bath, you will want to evaporate a lot of the alcohol off. Put a pot on the stove with water, put a container in the pot that will hold the tincture and bring the water to a slow boil. This will slowly and gently heat the container with the tincture in it high enough to boil off the alcohol and increase the potency. Make sure you have fans going and you don't stand directly over the vapors. It will seriously fuck you up quickly! I mean drunk off your ass in minutes flat, ask me how I know, lol.

So, at that point I normally boil mind down enough that I can fill 6 50ml bottles with the tincture. Each of those bottles are good for about 8-10 doses. I normally dose around 5ml but you may have to adjust depending on tolerance. Effects take about 30 minutes on an empty stomach and last a couple of hours of psychoactive high and about 6 hours of pain relief for me. You never get stoned high, it is more like an opiate high for me. A little sluggish but not too much. I am sure you could dose up to get the major stone but for me it is about the relief and I have honestly never tried to get stoned off my gourd with it. I will smoke if I want to get high.

I hope that helps you bro! I have been using this same recipe for several years now with good results and have sent it to several members with positive feedback. To me, this is the least recreational tincture recipe I have and really works for pain.

Excellent info @A4 ... thanks ... I use weed to improve my personality, same for the wife ... for health reasons I need to find an effective way to ingest w/o using my lungs ... I have plenty of quality bud and not much trim ... I also have a bottle of Everclear. I tried using ABV but I felt nothing, same w/ the wife ... Used bud but didn't get any effect ... any advice would be appreciated ...
:coffee:

Last edited:
Hey Chester, I am not too sure what ABV is.

Did you decarb before using the flowers? That is the biggest step for the psychoactive properties. Fresh flowers contain THCA which isn't psychoactive until it is converted to THC. That is where the oven comes in. It has to be heated to convert. If you are looking more for psychoactive properties then just use fresh flowers. A blend of whatever you like as far as sativa/indica or combos. Follow the recipe above except keep the temps at 240 to keep the THC from converting to CBN.

One thing I normally do with all fresh flowers is, weigh out the flowers before mxing with everclear and write the amount down. Say you use 100 grams for example. When you finish the tincture, get a measurement in ml. To make it easy, say you end up with 100ml. So for every ml of tincture you have about 1 gram of flower potency in it. That gives you an idea of where your proper dose should be set at. If you do a water bath and evaporate it off to 25ml then for every ml of tincture you will have the equivalence of 4 grams of flower. As you can see, the dosage is goign to vary wildly depending on the amount of liquid left and the amount of starting material.

Hopefully that helps, if you need some more instructions let me know or reply here and I will do what I can.

I did decarb though perhaps not long enough ... I did 250* for 25 min. ... I did one batch w/ ABV that I didn't decarb and another w/dried bud that got 250* for 25 min ... I have always mixed the results w/ either V8 juice or coffee .... ingesting up to a teaspoon at a time ... this may be one of the things I've done wrong as I didn't put it under my tongue and my system may be a little wonky since my esophagus was removed and replaced by my stomach 10 years ago ... I can produce plenty of bud but I need a way to ingest it other than thru my lungs ... no effect from firecrackers either ... thanks for your help.
:toke:

Again a4 thanks for the time you took typing that out...really appreciate it man! I will have a number of strains to test this out with including:
Texada Skunk (Texada Timewarp X Skunk #1) peakseeds
Skunkberry (Skunk #1 X Blueberry) peakseeds
Blueberry Dutch Passion
Frisian Dew Dutch Passion
Hollands Hope Dutch Passion
G-13 pure Dr Greenthumb
Fruity Chronic Juice (White widow X Chronic) Delicous seeds
BC Godbud BCbuddepot

I have a feeling that hollands hope(pure indica) and Fruity Chronic Juice(mostly indica) are going to be the two most effective for tinctures.

Back