Extraction & Processing Extractcraft Source Turbo

Drownomatic

Retired
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Panama
I recently purchased a Source Turbo to use up all the trim and larf I've been saving in my freezer.

Essentially it's a vacuum chamber with a heated cup, and a slanted glass lid that allows the condensate to drip off separate. A block of ice is placed on the lid to provide a cold surface that collects the vapor.

The vacuum lowers the boiling point of the liquid.

Everclear is available in my area, and I used that as my solvent.

I used a half gallon mason jar filled with dried trim. I allowed this to completely dry, I don't want any water in my solution. Both were kept in the freezer overnight.

The alcohol was poured into the jar, enough to cover, shook, and returned to the freezer for a 5 minutes. I repeated this.

The reason to keep this cold is to minimize the chlorophyll and other undesirables from entering the solution.

I strained it all through a wire strainer, doused it quickly again with fresh alcohol, and strained again. You want to get the plant mass out quickly.

This is where I lost the most alcohol, because some stays in the plant mass and never drains

Afterwards I strained twice through a paper towel. Towels are appx 3 micron, but vary considerably. The resulting liquid was yellow.

IMG20230203111730.jpg
IMG20230203111818.jpg

I filled the crucible and started it up. It self shut after a 2 hour run, reducing the liquid to about 10% of original. Light brown translucent

IMG20230130194225.jpg
IMG20230131085002.jpg

I topped it up and ran it again. At this point it became apparent that the provided 6" cake pan was barely enough ice for 1 run. I've since purchased some 6x3 round layer cake pans for additional ice.

This eventually reduced to a thick brown liquid that I spread out on a silicone mat, and stuck in the freezer.

My return has been about 10% using trim and larf. I started with 2 liters of alcohol, and after making 25+ grams of extract, have only 1 liter left. Some spills, some is lost in the filter paper, but most is lost in the soak.

IMG20230203082209.jpg

I'm looking at getting a Buchner funnel, and finer filter to see if I can get lighter extract.

Nice work! I have seen those machines a few times. Curious if you think it worth the trouble. Does the final product have more or less plant taste than doing an oil infusion? Would you infuse that brown mass into something else to make edibles or just mix it into the recipe? Or am I way off the mark and that is to be smoked? Several corners of this hobby I have not poked my nose into at all.

So far I've only smoked it in an e-rig. Slight camphor aftertaste, but a real face melter

I haven't used any in edibles yet. I plan on making tincture for one friend who's requested it

Nice work! I have seen those machines a few times. Curious if you think it worth the trouble. Does the final product have more or less plant taste than doing an oil infusion? Would you infuse that brown mass into something else to make edibles or just mix it into the recipe? Or am I way off the mark and that is to be smoked? Several corners of this hobby I have not poked my nose into at all.
You can do either, but never found the taste to be great when using everclear to extract with. Dabs aren't the same to me more harsh. I made some insane magical honey with tincture. Like shit was nuts I was on the dark side of the moon lol.

Did you get it new, or find a good deal on a used 1? I would love to grab 1 of these. I have a knockoff green machine does the job, but a source turbo is the best small unit I think out there. I can't afford 1 tho lol. They were like $500-$600 a couple yrs ago so I guessing that has gone up. Awesome product tho love to get 1 some day.

Yeah, I got it new on ebay, it was 499 free shipping.

Around here, wax goes for 50-150/g from a dispensary, so it doesn't take much to start saving money. In areas where wax is a fraction of that it might take a while.

There is no question that pressed rosin has more flavor though.

Yeah, I got it new on ebay, it was 499 free shipping.

Around here, wax goes for 50-150/g from a dispensary, so it doesn't take much to start saving money. In areas where wax is a fraction of that it might take a while.

There is no question that pressed rosin has more flavor though.
I press most of my bud, every now & then I'll make bho. If I have EC rosin I would use it for gummies. If you like dabs I highly recommend putting a press together. You can get rosin plate kits on Amazon/Ebay. Grab a shop press and you're ready to go. If you do, and have questions just ask I'm always around.

Stay lifted

Back